Waive Att ETF ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wzq1943, Apr 8, 2014.

1. wzq1943, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

wzq1943 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i am sure there are some similar topic in this forum, but many of them are out of date.

Just wondering is it possible to have my att ETF waived

Here's my situation:

I renewed a 2-yr contract on the day iPhone 5s was launched, that means is around Oct-2013.

I am an international student, i will be graduating and leaving USA for good at end of April.

Does the "leaving the country" excuse still works ??

UPDATE:
    thanks for the reply, i just called att and got the fee waived, for 2 lines ($540)
    main reason was i spoke to a very nice customer representative!!!

but they said they can't unlock my phone

well, i got my 2 ATT Locked Gold 5s 3 days after launch, and i sold them for $900 each, that's when the demand was so so so so high.

and i bought 2 unlocked version 5s from apple store for personal use (but waited 2 weeks)

go ahead ATT, don't unlock my phone, haha

after some calculation, I got 2 unlocked 5s for around $330 total. not bad

many replies below said that i am not an honest person, since i knew i will be leaving on apr-14, why would i sign a 2yr contract on oct-13, i wanted to stay in US, it just happen that i got a very good job offer back in my home country.

ATT is ripping us off, activation fee and EVEN upgrade fee for renewing their contract and stay as a ATT customer !! You don't have to be nice to them

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I don't think it will, because you are indeed breaking the contract.

3. 617aircav Suspended

If you are leaving the US for good as you say, why do you care about the etf. Either you pay it as a good and honest person or you don't. AT&T will not waive it. After all you knew you would be leaving when you signed the contract and signed it anyway. Be responsible and pay it.

4. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I agree with the other guy, you knew you were leaving in less than 2-years. Yet, you signed a 2-years contract. Either you pay up, or just leave the country. There really is no point talking about it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, pay your obligations and honor the contract you signed instead.

6. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I think any of us commenting is pointless at this point. The OP knew all along he would be leaving the country and thus knowingly signed a 2 year contract with no intent of ever actually fulfilling it. Telling him to pay the ETF is pointless. If he wasn't ever going to actually fulfill the contract, I don't see him suddenly changing and being honest and paying the ETF. I hope I'm wrong, though. I'd like to believe people are actually good.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Pretty much you pay or just walk away.

But if you walk away, your phone will not be unlocked and could even be blacklisted. Additionally, you'll ruin your credit or forfeit any deposit that you made when you opened an account.

Sell the phone and use the money to pay the ETF or pay the ETF and be able to use the phone in your country.

8. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

If OP is leaving the country permanently, does it matter if his credit rating is ruined?

Not a suggestion on what he should do. Just curious.

9. wzq1943, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

wzq1943 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well that's a good they waived your ETF, and not unlocking your phone is expecting since you didn't fulfill the terms of your contract.

11. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Ehh, he's still young and could possibly return to the States in the future. I mean, if you're going to ruin your credit behind a simple etf fee then that's pretty silly.

... and you said you're graduating? Wow, what are they teaching in schools these days.

12. 617aircav Suspended

So why didn't you call first before making this thread, would have made more sense.

13. aneftp macrumors 601

The best and easiest way to pay for the ETF is just sell the phone off.

You can put a buy it now for $400 and someone will buy the 5S within minutes. That more than enough to pay off the $325-$10/month ETF.

You can still probably get $500 for the 5S. But $400 will move it very quickly.

I don't know why people keep complaining about the eft when selling the phone is the easiest way especially top end iPhone 5S

14. patt2k macrumors regular

unlock it for 40-50$ :) since your ETF is gone you can do it.

15. 617aircav Suspended

He can unlock it for free.

16. Imaginator macrumors regular

Awful lot of high horses in this thread. Seems the OP succeeded in their goal without anyone's help. Way to go OP!

17. patt2k macrumors regular

So why would he write , they won't unlock it for him?
    meaning AT&T by requesting unlock code.

18. 617aircav Suspended

Of he has fulfilled his contract, which he has AT&T should unlock it.