Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Hey guys and girls, having a bit of trouble with my MBPr. When I wake it up from sleep it takes anywhere from 20-45 seconds to fully wake up and turn on the display, now I use to have a MBA and it would take about 5 seconds to wake up, but never as long as the MBPr. Any suggestions why it might be doing this at all? I never had the problem with my prior MBA or MBP (with traditional HD)

hi-there

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Melbourne
It should wake up in < 5 seconds... in fact within 1 - 2 seconds. What apps have you installed or any external storage in use?

njean777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
umm nothing out of the ordinary. Caffine, alfred, amazon cloud, fantastical, flux, aperture, safari, mail, kindle, iTunes, activity monitor is all that is running

Intenost

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Boston, MA
Is your fan blasting while it's sleeping? Mine is, and when I wake it up I can see it's got the kernel_task running at 600%+ of CPU, so it's slow to do anything until that process starts to ramp down, and the fans also go from full to non-audible. I'm taking it to the Genius bar shortly.

Qbiinz

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
ya know I've noticed a bit of lag when waking up from sleep as well. mines not quite as extreme as 20-45 seconds, but it does take up to 10 sec for my screen to come on after i open it. i thought i would be a little faster than that.

cruggles

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
I always disable deep sleep on mac laptops. I prefer sleep to be instant on/off over the benefits of having the contents of RAM written to the hard drive every time it sleeps. Might be worth a try:
http://danwarne.com/how-to-turn-off-slow-sleep-hibernate-mode-on-a-macbook-pro/

Hang on, that link is years old.

Macbook Pros in my experience (2010 model 15" MBP) don't hibernate (save RAM to disk) unless they are about to run out of battery power.

They sleep (lightly) by shutting down all but RAM for an almost instant power-on. Isn't that happening in the rMBP?

Djhomefries

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012

Macbook Pros in my experience (2010 model 15" MBP) don't hibernate (save RAM to disk) unless they are about to run out of battery power.

They sleep (lightly) by shutting down all but RAM for an almost instant power-on. Isn't that happening in the rMBP?

MacBook Pros love to sleep, often taking daytime naps. But don't take my word for it!

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008

I don't think the link's age is relevant in this case since disabling deep sleep still works. I believe the 30 days of standby on battery that Apple quotes is achieved through deep sleep.

I have a rMBP running with hibernatemode=0, just like my 2010 MBA, and it works just like I'd expect it to.

cruggles

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
I don't think the link's age is relevant in this case since disabling deep sleep still works. I believe the 30 days of standby on battery that Apple quotes is achieved through deep sleep.

I have a rMBP running with hibernatemode=0, just like my 2010 MBA, and it works just like I'd expect it to.

I still don't get it... my MBP never hibernates unless the battery is low. Why do you need an app for that?

randomnut

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
I created a separate post about this earlier. My rMBP is also taking around 30seconds or more to wake up from sleep.

Not good enough. This machine was clearly released before the software was ready to support it. Either that or there's something seriously wrong with the SSD.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I still don't get it... my MBP never hibernates unless the battery is low. Why do you need an app for that?

I think there's a couple things going on. Hibernation only occurs when the battery is low, but supporting hibernation and achieving 30 days of standby requires your laptop to do some operations that slow the time it takes to go to sleep and the time it takes to wake up.

1.) When your computer goes to sleep by default it writes its contents of RAM to the hard drive (in /var/vm there's a sleepimage file that's the size of your RAM). Disabling deep sleep allows you to delete this and your machine won't take the time to write this when it goes to sleep.

2.) When you put your computer to sleep and wake it up within a short time (I don't recall what the time is) it will wake up more quickly than when you wake it up after a longer period of time. The machine goes into some lower power mode that isn't a full on hibernation, but is how Apple's able to achieve a 30 day standby when on battery. Disabling deep sleep turns this off and translates into your computer always waking up instantly.

If you're unhappy with how quickly your machine wakes up from sleep and want to save 8-16GB of disk space depending on how much RAM you have, and you're willing to give up a long standby on battery and the safety net it provides if your battery runs completely out, give disabling deep sleep a try (setting hibernatemode=0). You can always change it back to the default using the same command (setting hibernatemode=3).

Last edited:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Thank God I didn't buy one! My 2009 CD2 17" comes alive as soon as the screen is opened. Instantly. No waiting. I'm running Lion.

Djhomefries

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Thank God I didn't buy one! My 2009 CD2 17" comes alive as soon as the screen is opened. Instantly. No waiting. I'm running Lion.

I wouldn't generalize that all MBPr's are affected with the issue. In fact, a generalization that is accurate is that the MBPr is the best laptop Apple has ever made.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Not with how long it takes to wake from sleep it's not.

So how are you putting it to sleep and how are you waking it up? I just tried twice and it took 2 seconds max to wake up.

I went to apple-> sleep.

Screen went dark.

I push power button, 2 seconds later, system comes on.

randomnut

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
So how are you putting it to sleep and how are you waking it up? I just tried twice and it took 2 seconds max to wake up.

I went to apple-> sleep.

Screen went dark.

I push power button, 2 seconds later, system comes on.

I am doing it by normal usage patterns. By closing the lid. Come back to it 15-20 mins later and open the lid again, and it takes an age to wake up.

Using that method you described it is faster, but that is not typical usage.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I am doing it by normal usage patterns. By closing the lid. Come back to it 15-20 mins later and open the lid again, and it takes an age to wake up.

This sounds like what I was describing in post 14 with respect to putting the machine to sleep for a short period and waking it up vs putting it to sleep for a long period and waking it up. The machine is going into a standby mode to further preserve battery and it's taking longer to wake up. This doesn't occur if you disable deep sleep, if so inclined.

Gilj

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Do you have an external drive connected when you put the machine to sleep?

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011

Using that method you described it is faster, but that is not typical usage.

Oh, I'll have to try that sometime. I'm not sure what the difference on OSX's sleep vs hibernate but I've had the screen go dark after a while, I hit space bar and it comes right back.

randomnut

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
This sounds like what I was describing in post 14 with respect to putting the machine to sleep for a short period and waking it up vs putting it to sleep for a long period and waking it up. The machine is going into a standby mode to further preserve battery and it's taking longer to wake up. This doesn't occur if you disable deep sleep, if so inclined.

Isn't hibernation something else? E.g where you see a faded shot of the desktop with the progress bar loading until it snaps into life? or was that only in Snow Leopard....?

If Lion still does that then this machine isn't entering hibernation.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Isn't hibernation something else? E.g where you see a faded shot of the desktop with the progress bar loading until it snaps into life? or was that only in Snow Leopard....?

If Lion still does that then this machine isn't entering hibernation.

Not hibernation, more of a lower-power standby mode. Still, setting hibernatemode=0 (i.e. disabling deep sleep) also eliminates the slow wake-up.

Same complaints were made about the 2011 Macbook Air .

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
That is really strange. My macbook pro late 08. Wake up instantly. Have you consider clean install without apps or anything? See how it perform. So you can do trouble shooting. It takes time but at least you know if it the software or the hardware causing the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.