Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fschweig

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
i'm too facing this unresponsive-trackpad-after-wakeup-issue.
(2011 MBA, i5, 256 gb)

i already had an exchange of my logicboard.
with hibernate 0 it takes not as long as with hibernate 3.
i also noted, that for the time trackpad/keyboard are unresponsive, the clock still shows the time the MBA entered standby mode and wi-fi is reconnecting.

i'm really looking forward for 10.7.3 to fix this.

greets

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm running Snow Leopard (don't know if it's the same for Lion), but I disabled Deep Sleep a while back and I'm really happy with the instant on behavior after sleep:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Before playing around with these settings, you should realise that it is "deep sleep" mode that makes it possible for the MBA to sleep for weeks and still have power. Without "deep sleep", your MBA won't have longer standbuy time than the MBP anymore.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Before playing around with these settings, you should realise that it is "deep sleep" mode that makes it possible for the MBA to sleep for weeks and still have power. Without "deep sleep", your MBA won't have longer standbuy time than the MBP anymore.

Right, but the deep sleep only kicks in when you are super low on battery power and need your computer not to lose the contents of its ram. It's not like disabling deep sleep has any effect on standby time when your battery has anywhere from around ~5%-100% charge.

Deep sleep is pretty useless for people who carry their charger with them and have a place to plug it in (the majority of users.)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Right, but the deep sleep only kicks in when you are super low on battery power and need your computer not to lose the contents of its ram. It's not like disabling deep sleep has any effect on standby time when your battery has anywhere from around ~5%-100% charge.

Deep sleep is pretty useless for people who carry their charger with them and have a place to plug it in (the majority of users.)

On the MacBook Air, deep sleep kicks in after 70 minutes. That's how it can preserve the battery for 30 days.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
On the MacBook Air, deep sleep kicks in after 70 minutes. That's how it can preserve the battery for 30 days.

ohhh. whoops, thanks for that :p

Is that explained somewhere in an official document? (Edit: if you just run pmset -g in terminal you can see the 'standby delay' is set to 4200 seconds; 70 minutes)

Regardless -- the unresponsiveness does not seem to depend on the length of sleep. If I sleep my MBA and within a few minutes I wake it, i still have the problem. Likewise, if it has been sleeping overnight, I see the same issue with responsiveness upon waking.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Has 10.7.3 made a difference for anyone? doesn't seem to have changed anything on my 13" Air. Still the same delay upon waking.

sweetsound2001

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
Has 10.7.3 made a difference for anyone? doesn't seem to have changed anything on my 13" Air. Still the same delay upon waking.

None whatsoever! I have deep sleep disabled and deleted the sleep image to no avail. Mega-Epic fail from Apple on this one so far!

Just tested it for ***** and giggles. Put my 11" MBA to sleep and shut the lid.

Lid open = start timer.

Logon screen = 3.2 seconds
Trackpad responding to touch = 6.5 seconds
Keyboard input recognized = 7.8 seconds

I would not consider this instant-on, and besides, my Core Duo 2010 model woke-up much faster than this without any trackpad / keyboard lag.

Last edited:

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
It's been slow for me from day one. I hope this isn't a sign for what's to come from Apple.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just tested it for ***** and giggles. Put my 11" MBA to sleep and shut the lid.

Lid open = start timer.

Logon screen = 3.2 seconds
Trackpad responding to touch = 6.5 seconds
Keyboard input recognized = 7.8 seconds

For me, the logon screen comes on after between 2-3 seconds. The keyboard is instantly responsive. There is a little bit of a delay on the trackpad, but that doesn't stop the keyboard input from being recognized. I have FileVault2 activated.

My sister's 2011 MacBook Air does not have FileVault2 activated, and the response times are like my old 2010 MacBook Air. For me, the extra second or so is worth having the encryption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.