Wal-Mart and Target may not have them on launch...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jdminpdx, Mar 6, 2011.

1. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

This may not be for all locations but for my area I called 3 Targets and 4 Wal-Marts and they all said they wouldn't be stocking them for at least a month. Looks like I'll be heading over to Apple instead.

Who knows, might change in the next few days. Apple isn't close to me so ot would be nice to hit up Wal-Mart or Target..

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It is true that only certain Wal-Marts and Targets will get it at launch. There are far too many stores for them to all get it, so the corporate distribution is prioritized by the most important stores.

I do think that 100% of BestBuys will be carrying it though because of the special partnership they have with Apple.

3. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

It doesn't surprise me. Apple will very likely stock themselves first and everyone else after that. Target just recently got iPads, so I'm not surprised that they won't launch the iPad2.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Why not try Best Buy? My local one guaranteed me with certainty they would have them on Friday, although not until the afternoon when the UPS truck arrives to deliver them.

5. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Nah it's just that certain stores don't get launch inventory, WAY too many stores to stock them all at launch.

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Apple won't let them sell the iPad until 5pm anyway, so it doesn't matter when the UPS truck gets there (as long as they aren't late delivering it), you won't be getting that iPad until 5pm.

7. Fearsys macrumors member

I visited my local at&t store and they said ipad2 will be sold at 9am when doors open. I mentioned that apple wasn't letting stores sell them 'til 5pm. She talked to the manager and he said they will be sold at 9am. I will call them again thursday too double check.

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Either way I'm sure going to a Best Buy is infinitely more convenient than going to an Apple Store for many. There's ten Best Buy stores within fifteen miles from me with only one Apple store in that same radius. And regarding their 5pm launch, my store shrugged it off and said they would sell them as soon as they arrive. Of course this might not be true but I won't know until I head over Friday to purchase one.

9. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I found one WalMart about 40 miles from me. Said they had them in stock and they were marked with a big factory tape that has a "do not open until 3-11" with instructions not to push to the floor until 5. :(

Apple it is.

10. tac22 macrumors 6502

I would sort of be suprised they already arrived. Wouldn't be surprised if they were lying.... But I guess you never know

11. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

the closest walmart to me just said they dunno if they'll have them, they haven't had the ipad 1 since christmas i guess.

the second closest said they'll be have them friday, said to call that morning to see if they'll have a lot, and said i could have them save one for me that day there. so i'll probably do that. she wasn't sure exactly what time they'd go on sale.

12. M87 macrumors 65816

Our local Wal-Mart said they would have them and you could buy it right at midnight. I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt. Unfortunately there are no Best Buys or Apple Stores closer than an hour from where I live. Any word on AT&T or Verizon stores having them on launch?

13. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Yea no ****.

14. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

i was thinking about taking a drive out to the walmart around here that'll have them that day to see if they'd sell me one at midnight.

15. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

i was thinking about taking a drive out to the walmart around here that'll have them that day to see if they'd sell me one at midnight. i've got nothing to do at all on friday, so i'm going to probably be driving around looking to find it somewhere.

16. guitardave62000 macrumors regular

can you guys post general locations of where these places are/aren't stocking the iPad 2 so we know where to head to?
    Thanks in advance

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Not a bad idea.

18. todd03blown macrumors member

Wonder what the chance is that BestBuy will have them available to buy before the 5pm mark on Friday?

19. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

for some reason, i think walmart has a much better chance at selling ipad 2 before 5 p.m. than best buy does.

20. tomandshell macrumors regular

Knowing my Best Buy, they will still be sitting in a crate in the back at 5pm and I will have to tell them to go and get one for me.

21. M87 macrumors 65816

Absolutely. Wal-Mart employees can't get anything right.

22. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

i just feel like walmart people don't give a damn and will just sell it like they don't even know they aren't supposed to sell before 5.

23. No1up macrumors regular

we must live real close to me...

That was a real ass thing to say.. did you HAVE to say that?

24. dread macrumors 6502a

25. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Don't they have to receive the iPads, stock them etc. Could be after 5pm if that happens.