Wal-Mart to Carry iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mykbibby, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Why is this bad, they carry iPods and the like. But then again I know a lot of people don't like Wal-Mart.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

does walmart carry other phones?

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

yes :(

6. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

AT&T is f@#ked !

Millions of low-income people have likely already bought iPhones ... Apple got
    paid up-front, but now as the credit crunch hits, AT&T will be the loser.

iPhones at Walmart ... you might as well just sell your AT&T stock right now! :eek:

...but paid up-front Steve Jobs will be smiling all the way to the bank.

7. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

before you panic like every other wall street ass, consider that you still have to go thru a credit check with AT&T, which after recent events is probably more stringent than before

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Somehow, I just don't see this as being true.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I agree. Wal Mart is basically the exact opposite of Apple. iPods have become sort of a standard home appliance, so I can understand Apple letting Wal Mart carry those, but Macs and iPhone.... they're just a little too fancy for the average Wal Mart shopper.

10. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I used to think Walmart only carried the knock-off brands, but after not stepping foot in a Walmart for several years, out of curiosity I went into a Walmart about two weeks ago, and I was suprised to see a lot of name brand products. Walmart already carries most computer brands, including Sony and Dell, so it would be to Apple's disadvantage if they let that trend continue without Macs.

Walmart carries the entire line of Blackberry phones and the Samsung Instinct.
    Laptop computers at Walmart.com...

Attached Files:

11. Joined:
    Aug 21, 2008
    When they priced it at $199 they put it within reach of everyone. Get used to it. Everyone's going to have one soon.

Any cache the phone had prior to the 3G is long long gone.

(Not that I mind all that much. It's still a great phone.)

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I don't get it. If walmart does sell the iPhone, how does it affect you? Some of you treat this phone like it's an extension of your body.

13. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

There may be many Walmarts in low-income communities, but there are still a lot of Walmarts in middle-class and some upper-class communities. I know of several Walmarts here in Orange County where the parking lot is "checkerboarded" with luxury cars and economy cars. A lot of middle class and upper-middle class people shop at Walmart. That is a fact that I have observed in-person with my own eyes.

Additionally, I have noticed that a lot of less well-off teenagers and people in their twenties spend just as much [or more] money on sub-$1000 merchandise as wealthy people do. There have been many times that I have seen wealthy people wearing t-shirts and driving luxury cars while I've seen people driving older economy cars and wearing $100 jeans and fancy shirts.

In fact, when I took a marketing class back in college (I'm have a degree in biochemistry; not business), they asked who we though spent the most money on clothes and sub-$500 items? The answer, resultant of marketing surveys, found that teenagers, college students, and low-income citizens spent the most on such items.

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Low income people would rather go with the free phone than pay $200 for one.

15. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I'd say there's a divide. Half are money-conscious, and the other half splurge even though they don't have it, and then they are stuck with massive credit card debt. Look at statistics on credit card debt, and you will see the reality.

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Attached Files:

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

you are right, that is if they can pass the credit check. Still, I don't get peoples fascination of where the iPhone is sold. The same folks that would buy it at walmart could easily have bought it from ATT or apple.

18. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I agree with you completely. I have three Apple stores within 20 minutes of me and probably five AT&T stores, but only one Walmart though.
    But for the other half of America, not so. Apple only has 200 stores nationwide, whereas Walmart has 3500. I'm sure there are many Americans that would have to drive two hours to get to an Apple store, but probably have a Walmart store within 15 minutes.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

$200 is a drop in the bucket compared to the $70/month you're forced to pay for two years. That's more than $1600. The iPhone would totally explode if there was either a model that didn't require all the data stuff or if AT&T would let people have lower-priced data plans for low usage.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Why? Whether you buy the iPhone at ATT, an Apple store, Best Buy or Walmart, ATT still gets the lucrative wireless contract.

Just in case people were wondering what you meant, it was "cachet". :)

Still doesn't do anything for the people in 1/3 of the states that have no or little ATT home coverage and thus cannot own an iPhone anyway, Walmart or not.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

because those who shop at walmart are more likely to not be able to pay their bills after they spend $200 on a subsidized phone.

Thanks I was very confused there.

22. 3kids macrumors regular

I shop at Apple and I shop at Wal-Mart. Just like I go to Nordstrom and Target. Why would I be any less likely to be able to afford it if I purchased it at one store or the other? The nearest Apple store to me is over 2 hours away, the Wal-Mart is 4 miles. We also do not have an ATT store within 50 miles. If Apple is selling more product, they are making more profit. As a shareholder, that sounds ok to me.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Uggh you people and your picky attitudes. I mean people who can't afford to shop elsewhere.

PS: I can't believe that you can shop other places, yet you choose to support places like walmart and target.

24. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Wont they have to pass a credit check, and have good credit? If they have good credit it means they have been doing something right in the pass.