Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Who says a person even has to put/care about music on their iphone at all... Maybe they just want a ton of games and other apps- 4GB or 3GB is *plenty* of space for that... and a telephone...

Also- with things like Simplify, the storage on the phone for music opens up a bit... Your entire itunes library is rarely totally out of reach anymore when you can just stream it from home...

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I'm pretty sure you didn't understand my post.

I think I did. You were saying that a lot of people are replacing their shuffle and Nokia with an iPhone. Having 3.74gb is a bump for them.

What I'm saying is that after a month or so, those 3.37gb will be gone and the customer will likely be unhappy with his/her choice.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
i think its a great idea - i have quite a few friends who only use the iphone as a phone - they don't use the itunes part of it but they do use some of the applications once they learn about them. i bet your average wallmart shopper will love a cheep 4 gig iphone and some of them, when they start using other features, will eventually upgrade to a higher capacity phone. the only question apple has to figure out is how much money they can make on it and will it hurt sales of the higher capacity phone - or - will it bring in new customers who wouldn't spend more on the other versioins.

i think this is a much better idea then selling an iphone nano.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
While that is the current Walmart logo - forget that it's losing the star - it doesn't look like the Walmart logo is properly placed. If you look at the at&t logo and the Walmart logo they don't line up at all. Even on an angle they would match up but the Walmart logo is slightly higher than the at&t one.

The possibility seems feasible, this picture does not.

I agree, that was the first thing i thought. Too many years of drawing line art maps i guess..... but if that is the actual document - they need to hire a new person.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Well, since I'm not switching to ATT, this doesn't really mean much for me, except that it might push the price of the 1G models down some. I might buy a 1G model to unlock if there was some software to tether it via BT to my Centro for data, and (lamely enough) as a BT handset... :p

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
However, I think it would be smart of Apple to introduce a lower-priced but still feature rich version of the iPhone to grab more market.

I somewhat agree.

It would get some more people to sign up with AT&T, but not much. Most users that want the iPhone have it already. Now that it's subsidized, the price issues of the 2G phone don't exist unless you aren't eligible.

The only thing keeping people from signing up with AT&T to get a new iPhone is AT&T itself, or one of the limitations of the phone. Bringing back the 4GB model won't increase sales much at all IMHO.

This does show me that Apple is really trying to make the iPhone the new bargain bin Razr/cheap Nokia phone of yore. The device is no longer a premium product in their eyes, and they want everyone to own one, even if they are just going to be making calls and sending text with it.

Hopefully, Apple and AT&T can work out an insurance option to add to the already over-priced bill, that would bring some customers to AT&T for sure knowing that they don't have to pay full price when they drop and break their phone.

Tomorrow Walmart, after MacWorld, they will be selling the iPhone at Ritz Cameras and Burger Kings around the nation.

kb152

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
I think I did. You were saying that a lot of people are replacing their shuffle and Nokia with an iPhone. Having 3.74gb is a bump for them.

What I'm saying is that after a month or so, those 3.37gb will be gone and the customer will likely be unhappy with his/her choice.

Uh, I bought a 4gb when the week after the phone was released.(i think it was $500 then). I kept a few smart playlists of a few hundred songs and never had much interest in video. It was fine for the first year.

then, as you point out, i wanted more space. i bought the 8gb. that's the point. once you buy one, you want to continue to upgrade. it's effective bait whatever the shortcomings.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If this truly pans out to be the case, at&t better offer a cheaper data plan for this. I wouldn't want to shell out 100 bucks for a 4 GB iPhone and have to pay the huge data tariff.

Exactly. If the iPhone were free it would still come with its expensive data plan and that will turn a lot of bargain shoppers off. The real cost of the phone is the monthly charge. Cut the data plan to $10 a month and that's when the real revolution will occur.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Fact 1: A lot of people have replaced their iPod and Cell phone with an iPhone and were glad to do so.

Fact 2: Apple has sold a ton of iPod Shuffles, many to people for whom the shuffle is still their only iPod.

I'll let you guys figure it out from here...

You'll find a lot of people like that on these forums: they think everyone is just like them. If they have a lot of songs, then everyone must have a lot of songs. If they don't need a certain feature, no one does. Kinda annoying, but that's life.

skramsfan13

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I believe in the near future Wal-Mart will be selling the iPhone(no doubt in my mind) but this is not it. You can obviously tell it's fake by the pic. An employee wouldn't have took the photo on his kitchen counter(look at the bottom) and another thing the "iphone activation reference" manual wouldn't be printed and stapled(Wal-Mart isn't that cheap)

A 4GB MODEL IS A TERRIBLE IDEA!!

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
I'm with you

You're serious, right? Who has only 4gb of music? I don't know many college students who fall in that range. Maybe High School students? Plenty of us shop at Walmart too. (As much as we hate it.)

Now add a movie or two and 3.5gb is nowhere near enough storage. I had a hard enough time going from a 32 gb iPod to a 16gb touch. When I bought the iPod, I didn't think I'd ever touch 15gb, let alone 32. I now have over 60 gb of movies...

I totally agree 4GB is kinda lame. Even though there are some people for whom 4GB is enough space I have a hard time believing that those type of people would choose an iphone for their cell. I personally have a 6TB server mostly filled with uncompressed DVD, Blu-ray, and HD-DVD rips. So I can never have enough space. Luckily the price of flash memory is dropping faster than George Bush's approval ratings so pretty soon we'll start seeing it EVERYWHERE. I personally cannot wait for the day when my computer has ZERO moving parts. Say goodbye to hard drives and hello solid state. HOORAY

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Uhhhhh... I don't see Wal-Mart customers being able to afford a (US)$90+ a month cell phone bill. I'm not being mean, I'm just telling the truth.

stmjr

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
fake

i like how the person made sure to write their notes around the walmart logo

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Fact 1: A lot of people have replaced their iPod and Cell phone with an iPhone and were glad to do so.

Fact 2: Apple has sold a ton of iPod Shuffles, many to people for whom the shuffle is still their only iPod.

I'll let you guys figure it out from here...

Yeah but I think the point is that people who are interested in what the iPhone can do PROBABLY want more storage. I agree that there are people for whom 4GB is sufficient. I question whether or not they are the type of people likely to get an iPhone.

Just something to think about. I'm not against apple selling a 4GB iPhone but it would kind of seem like a step backwards and apple is a very forward facing company.

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
I know how you feel but the fact is that apple can set whatever price they want for the iphone. Most people don't know how cheap flash memory is so to them if you double the space it seems reasonable that the price would increase substantially. I'm sure that apple carefully analyze the market before setting the prices. It sucks for those of us who know better but apple is marketing to the masses. And for what you get I still think the iPhone is a steal. Even at full unsubsidized price.

Agreed(ish). I'm sick and tired of Apple using RAM as a delineating factor in the massive price differences between models. iPod Touchs (or Touches?) and iPhones are both very different in price just because of a few Gbs of RAM.

I'm sorry, but 8Gb of RAM to take you to from 8 to 16Gb does not cost $100, even with a reasonable mark-up. And if it did, Apple should go ahead, balls out, and charge $399 for a 32Gb. Actually, that's kind of what they do with the iPod Touch: 8/16/32 are $229/$299/$399 respectively.

These things should be priced $99/$139/$199 for the 8/16/32Gb respectively. They would probably sell about 10%/40%/50% (figures plucked out of the air/my a$$) and do very well on it thank you very much.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
now there is a phrase you don't see very often :)

It is if you really price compare. They usually have some kind of loss leader, but most of the shelves is the same price, or more expensive, than other stores. People just see the loss leaders and assume everything is cheaper.

Besides, if they really wanted to sell more iphones, expand to other carriers... :)

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Now add a movie or two and 3.5gb is nowhere near enough storage. I had a hard enough time going from a 32 gb iPod to a 16gb touch. When I bought the iPod, I didn't think I'd ever touch 15gb, let alone 32. I now have over 60 gb of movies...

And that's beside the fact that there has NEVER been a 32GB iPod, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.