Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

075814-walmart_425.jpg

Wal-Mart iPhone training materials
Boy Genius Report first broke the story back in October that Apple would begin selling the iPhone at Wal-Marts. The actual date of release appears to be December 28th. Wal-Mart employees are already receiving training on iPhone activation (see photo above). Today, a new report from Boy Genius Report claims that Apple may be reintroducing the 4GB iPhone to be sold at Wal-Mart for only $99 with a two year contract. The site is not entirely confident about the report, so suggests this possibility should be taken with caution.

When Apple originally introduced the iPhone, it came in 4GB and 8GB models. Only a couple of months later, Apple discontinued the 4GB model altogether and dropped the price of the 8GB model. Apple currently sells an 8GB ($199) and 16GB ($299) iPhone with 2 year contract. Aggressive $99 pricing for an entry level iPhone would correlate with comments made by Steve Jobs in October. Jobs said that they needed to continue to be aware of a possible "price umbrella" below the iPhone that competitors may take advantage of. Analysts have suggested that Apple could feasibly sell the iPhone for $99.

Article Link: Wal-Mart to Sell $99 4GB iPhone?

claud9999

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Wal-Mart or Walmart?

A company as big as Wal-Mart would never produce (or allow to be produced) a manual with their logo as "Walmart". Fake.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I'll believe it when I see it.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
So why are we thinking 4gb? I didn't see 4gb in those pictures. Of course what I saw had a lota blur.

Wouldn't a $99/8gb, $199/16gb and $299/32gb after MW seem better?

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
A company as big as Wal-Mart would never produce (or allow to be produced) a manual with their logo as "Walmart". Fake.

Agreed. Wal-Mart may be selling an iPhone model in the future, but these aren't the real training documents.

However, I think it would be smart of Apple to introduce a lower-priced but still feature rich version of the iPhone to grab more market.

EDIT:
chilipie said:
don't know whether that document is fake or not, but that is their current logo.
Shows how much I shop at the Big W. When did they change their logo?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
this is a major positive for the iphone. the people that would buy this from wlamart have no need for a 8GB or 16GB iphone so a 4GB isnt a complete surprise. Granted..$100 off the price isnt a huge deal when you look at the total cost over the two years (more expensive than a new alum macbook), but i think opening the iphone up to new vendors will only benefit apple.

on a sidenote...just checked boygenius..they have 4 comments on the story...macrumors alreay has like 15. You are killing them Arn. Taking apple rumor market share...ha

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

So, if this is true, will they be selling the 1st generation 4Gb iPhone or will Apple be producing a 4Gb version on the iPhone 3G? Notice that the manual says "iPhone 3G Activation."

ATimson

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
I don't want it to stop being a collector's item because the bargain bin of retailers is too cheap to sell standard capacity iPhones!
It's not that they're too cheap to sell them, it's that the public is too cheap to buy them. :p

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
4GB?

Come on...it isn't worth it! Especially with rumours of 32GB and 64GB. 4GB should be free if you are tied to a contract too..

ATimson

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
I think it would be weird to go back to the 4GB iPhone. The reason why they dropped it in the first place is because it wasn't selling.
It wasn't selling at its old price point. But for only $100, they're liable to get a good many more takers.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
this is a major positive for the iphone. the people that would buy this from wlamart have no need for a 8GB or 16GB iphone so a 4GB isnt a complete surprise.

You're serious, right? Who has only 4gb of music? I don't know many college students who fall in that range. Maybe High School students? Plenty of us shop at Walmart too. (As much as we hate it.)

Now add a movie or two and 3.5gb is nowhere near enough storage. I had a hard enough time going from a 32 gb iPod to a 16gb touch. When I bought the iPod, I didn't think I'd ever touch 15gb, let alone 32. I now have over 60 gb of movies...

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Maybe 8GB at a lower price point than current $199 (maybe $129, w/ 16GB for $199). But I seriously doubt aapl would want to sell anything with less storage and shoot itself in the foot with respect to app store sales.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I agree with previous posters that a 4 GB iphone is too small to get an apple experience. A few apps , music and 1 movie is pretty much all that will fit. It's possible with some juggling but not ideal.

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
No, thank you, sir! I love my 4GB iPhone. I don't want it to stop being a collector's item because the bargain bin of retailers is too cheap to sell standard capacity iPhones!

It amazes me as to how everyone has an issue with Wal-Mart / Apple and yet not much seems to be said of their (Apples') involvement with the likes of Starbucks... GET OVER IT! :rolleyes:

In-fact I wouldn't give a t*** if Wal-Marts' UK arm (Asda) started selling it...

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I agree with previous posters that a 4 GB iphone is too small to get an apple experience. A few apps , music and 1 movie is pretty much all that will fit. It's possible with some juggling but not ideal.

Kids today have no appreciation for a movie with a lower compression factor. Pfff, kids.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
It amazes me as to how everyone has an issue with Wal-Mart / Apple and yet not much seems to be said of their (Apples') involvement with the likes of Starbucks... GET OVER IT! :rolleyes:

But I don't feel like I need to take a shower everytime I leave a Starbucks.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You're serious, right? Who has only 4gb of music?

I agree with previous posters that a 4 GB iphone is too small to get an apple experience.

Fact 1: A lot of people have replaced their iPod and Cell phone with an iPhone and were glad to do so.

Fact 2: Apple has sold a ton of iPod Shuffles, many to people for whom the shuffle is still their only iPod.

I'll let you guys figure it out from here...

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
You're serious, right? Who has only 4gb of music? I don't know many college students who fall in that range. Maybe High School students? Plenty of us shop at Walmart too. (As much as we hate it.)

Now add a movie or two and 3.5gb is nowhere near enough storage. I had a hard enough time going from a 32 gb iPod to a 16gb touch. When I bought the iPod, I didn't think I'd ever touch 15gb, let alone 32. I now have over 60 gb of movies...

think we need to remember the macrumor effect. (we tend to have more music/movies/media than the "normal" walmart shopper who proly hasnt even set up itunes yet or has no idea what blu-ray is) There is a market out there for cheaper iphones without the need for enough space for 60 movies..but again...the $100 just isnt a huge deal when you look at the 2-year period.

nixta

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Wouldn't a $99/8gb, $199/16gb and $299/32gb after MW seem better?

Agreed(ish). I'm sick and tired of Apple using RAM as a delineating factor in the massive price differences between models. iPod Touchs (or Touches?) and iPhones are both very different in price just because of a few Gbs of RAM.

I'm sorry, but 8Gb of RAM to take you to from 8 to 16Gb does not cost $100, even with a reasonable mark-up. And if it did, Apple should go ahead, balls out, and charge $399 for a 32Gb. Actually, that's kind of what they do with the iPod Touch: 8/16/32 are $229/$299/$399 respectively.

These things should be priced $99/$139/$199 for the 8/16/32Gb respectively. They would probably sell about 10%/40%/50% (figures plucked out of the air/my a$$) and do very well on it thank you very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.