Walk-in for 32GB: better or worse?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigo50, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Do you think it will be better or worse chances trying to get a 32GB instead of a 16GB as a walk-in?

I'm thinking most people will go for the 16GB for the lower price, but stores might also stock fewer 32GB.

What do you all think?

2. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

i remember when i got the 3g ppl were going for the 8gb over the 16 im guessing for monetary reasons

who knows now though..... i ordered a 32gb myself

3. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

It seems like most people here on MR have opted for the 32 GB.

4. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Agreed, but as Mac fans, I'm not sure we represent the general public very well.

5. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

I'm willing to bet they will both have more 16 GB models in stock AND they will be far more popular.

Reasons:

1. $100 less
    2. I doubt MOST "normal" phone buyers need 32GB, or even 16GB, of space. Could be wrong...

Generally speaking, the lower-cost model sells more. But we'll see. Judging by Apple's latest performance, they may ship all models with half of the expected storage.

6. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

If that's true, and I'm kind of thinking the same thing, the odds are probably about the same.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Last year I walked right in and bought my 32GB 3GS. And it was in the late afternoon. There was a line up for 16's that was probably 15 deep.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

IIRC, the 32GB model was selling more than the 16GB in my area.

9. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

We just pre-ordered 2 phones.

32GB - ships July 2nd
    16GB - ships July 14th

I would assume that the 16GB is more in demand, just by the ship dates I was given. I would have thought the 32GB would be more popular...but maybe I was wrong.

10. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Well, I would say we are the general public in the sense that those who are getting their iPhone on launch day are a bit more in depth than others. Especially with this model's headaches.

Many here, including me, received countless ideas, reports, contradictions, and what not. This may seem odd but the storage capacity is not that big of deal for me. I plan on using this iPhone much less for music (currently have 13 gigs on my GS). With my Mobile Me account/app/Dropbox I can have my pics localized without using storage space.

It will likely be a Knee Jerk choice but currently my "pre-order" at BB is a 16gb.

Blonde Buddhist

11. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

For the original iPhone when I was in line in the store, they said "were low on 8gb, but have losts of 4gb, everyone in line was mad, but I was happy!

I could only afford the 4gb original.

12. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Yeah. If you look around most of the internet is in a hoopla/wanting the white iPhone but to everyone else, the black will be more popular. So, I'm willing to bet that, just like the sales numbers for the past 3 iPhones, the cheaper ones will sell out faster. IIRC, the 8GB 3G still managed to outsell the newer (and faster) 3GS last year.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

LOL

They had separate lines based on the storage size you wanted? Where's the logic in that? :confused:

14. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Back then, the price was what, 599/699? I can't believe I actually paid that much for my iPhone :eek: I kinda wish I could have that money back... even though it was the coolest phone of the day (I've still got mine, even if it's currently not being used by me) :(

15. Surely Guest

Surely

How is that illogical?:confused:

Anyway, they didn't really have separate lines..... they just let me in ahead of everyone else when they found out that I wanted the 32. I guess they figured there was no point for me to wait considering everyone else was getting the 16.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because the purpose of the line is usually waiting for someone to ring you up, not due to the model of device you are buying.

Do you stand is separate lines if you're buying a MacBook vs a MacBook Pro? No.

Good for you though.

17. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I forgot the 3GS is available with a price drop. Do you suppose anyone will be waiting in line on launch day for a cheap 3GS??

If so, that only helps our case.

18. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

I highly doubt someone will camp or wait in long lines for the 3GS. Never know though.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

Good for me though?

Why so hostile?:confused:

Different lines at a store for different products/services is not illogical. Think of how much smoother a Starbucks would run if there were two cashiers: one for coffee only, the other for everything else.

Your analogy makes no sense. You cannot compare the annual launch day of the new iPhone to the sale of MBs and MBPs.

So good for me.:rolleyes:

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

First, I wasn't being hostile. You read sarcasm into a statement where no sarcasm was intended. The store decided to bring you to the head of the line, unfair to the others waiting in line, but not your fault.

Second, your example is completely irrelevant. The lines you compare in Starbucks are for products that take time to prepare vs products that don't. In the case of a 32GB vs a 16GB, they aren't exactly building the 16GB in the back. There's not a line for 16GB becuase they are harder to ring up. My analogy makes MUCH more sense than yours. A pre-manufactured product that is being pulled off of a shelf vs another pre-manufactured product that is being pulled off the shelf. What is the bottleneck? The registers/cashiers. NOT the fact that one is 32GB vs 16GB. It takes no more time to pull a 16GB iphone off the shelf and ring it up than it does a 32GB.

Different lines for different services? Sure, that would make sense. But that's not what we're talking about here is it?

21. Surely Guest

Surely

Funny, I thought we were talking about the availablity of the different models of the iPhone. I don't remember starting a thread about what you're taking about.

My thoughts on the OP's question are still the same.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Just responding to your response of my response of your post. ;)

On Topic: I don't think you can compare past years as easily as that. Demand has been 10x that of the 3Gs.

So perhaps 32GB might be easier.....but it's going to be difficult either way.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'd say you'll find more 16GB