Walked from ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zkaslow326, Oct 11, 2011.

1. zkaslow326 macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone 4 the day they came out on ATT. 5 days later my 3 year old dropped water on it by accident. I don't believe in insurance and have been on a prepaid till today. When I talked to ATT they told me that they didn't care that my phone was broken and told me I would be eligible for an upgrade on 2-25-2011. I asked what my buy out plan was and they quoted me 140. They said i could upgrade for 650. I have been with ATT since before the iPhone existed. I told them if that's there stance not a problem. Canceled on the spot. Payed $300 for the phone and $140 for the buyout. 440 is better than 650 by my math. Verizon here I come.

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Isn't an early upgrade 200 for the phone and 250 for the early upgrade? That's 450.00.

3. rkahl macrumors 65816

Yeah I see your point because it was AT&T's fault you damaged your phone!
    :confused:

4. 2010RS macrumors 6502

And you think Verizon would have given you a different answer?

Maybe next time you should be a little more careful with your phone. Or buy insurance. Or learn to take some personal responsibility.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You could have taken your damaged iPhone 4 to Apple and they would have replaced it for $199.00.

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

You could have, at any point, paid $200 to Apple for an out-of-warranty exchange on your phone.

7. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

At the apple store. They would have replaced it for $199. Sometimes they will do it free.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sorry you are upset, but I don't see where AT&T did anything but follow the policies laid out when you signed the contract.

After paying ETF you are eligible to sign up again with AT&T after 30 days, so once you discover how slow the Verizon network is - you might want to turn that phone back in during the Verizon trial period, then you can start over with AT&T next month with a fully-subsidized phone. Keep your options open.

9. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

10. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

Since before the iphone... you say that likes it's a long time. It's only 4 years, that's NOTHING. I've been on AT&T since it was cingular, (1999) and I wouldn't expect special treatment like that. It's your fault for not getting insurance, they can't make exceptions because of your lack of a belief in insurance.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

roflcopter!

----------

Or you could have just added a line for 10 bucks a month.

12. neenja macrumors 6502

true story here. people like the OP make me hate my job. refuse to get insurance, wreck your phone, but expect us to compensate for your mistakes.

"ive been with you guys for x amount of years!" - no one cares.
    "i pay my bill on time!" - you're supposed to.

countless more crap we hear daily.

13. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Hmmm...

Did you explore all of your options? I understand and respect your dislike for insurance but if you'd have taken your iPhone 4 to the store 5 days after launch they probably would have given you a replacement for no charge! Even if they were sticklers to policy, your phone was dropped by your child, you're responsible. A replacement would have cost you $200 and you would have been enjoying the iPhone 4 for the past 16 months. I feel like you didn't get enough information before waiting to expect AT&T to give you an early upgrade.

You'd have been better off talking to the cancellations department who would more than likely have credited your account $250 against the cost of upgrading early to the iPhone 4S! Now you're going to Verizon where you will get better service depending on the region, slower speeds, no unlimited data and you're also losing the ability to talk and surf the web at the same time. Kudos to you when all you had to do was put your phone somewhere your young child couldn't reach it or keep him away from the toilet. I'm 34 and I must say that you don't seem to have much good sense. I hope you believe in life insurance at least, your child will appreciate it one of these years. Best luck to you with Verizon.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was a 10 year customer of AT&T and whatever moniker they had previously. I paid my bill on time because I value my credit rating. However, when I had issues with cell service AT&T would not help me like they did others. They were handing out microcells left and right, some people who received them sold them for a profit here and on other sites. It is not unreasonable to hope that if you're good to a company then the company will take care of you. Especially if you've been someone who is problem-free throughout most of your professional relationship.

However, the OP does fail to show that he made any effort to get the phone fixed. I don't however disagree with his overall contention with AT&T because they won't move up his date to renew his contract and get another phone. It sounds like he was honest, opposed to some on this very board, and in the end he was dissatisfied. His right is to walk, which he has.

Me, I'm happy on VZW's network for the most part. Much happier than I was on AT&T in the last few years.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You made a knee jerk reaction OP and you should have posted your situation before making this dumb decision. I got my water damaged iPhone replaced for free at an Apple store--never go to AT&T for this type of thing.

Even if they had charged me (which they had a right to do since it was my fault--as was YOUR water damage)--$199 would have been cheaper than the $440 you paid.

Oh well, I guess you've got the spare cash lying around.

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

It has now been lowered to $149 for all the iPhones except the 4S.

17. shelbymayer macrumors regular

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! My thoughts exactly being an AT&T employee!

18. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Hmm...do you take that same attitude when it comes to insurance on your car or house? It's nobody's fault but your own. Stop blaming others for your stupidity. :rolleyes:

19. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I love all these entitlement galore stories and people that don't stop at stop signs.

20. neenja macrumors 6502

I'm glad you pay your bill on time, everyone should value their credit rating. However, to feel entitled and rewarded for doing something you are supposed to do, is just silly.

I understand. The thing with Microcells were pretty strict. Your home had to be in a place that showed absolutely no service on their internal coverage map. If they saw a spec of coverage, you would get denied. Sucks =\

You also have to understand, he denied insurance then demanded his phone be replaced via moving up his upgrade date.

Also, a simple google search would've told him tons of people got their phones replaced free for for $200 at the Apple store.

----------

;)

Another one I hear a lot:

Customer has had the phone just over a year so the warranty is expired. Complains that the phone isn't working correctly, we do tests and confirm that it is defected. We explain that it has been over a year and the warranty has expired. Customer gets irate and says "IT HAS BEEN GIVING ME PROBLEMS SINCE DAY ONE THOUGH!"

Really? You've had 12 months to come in and tell us you have been having problems but wait a year to come in. Then complain that you deserve a replacement because it never worked in the first place?

I hate this planet.

21. rkahl macrumors 65816

Stop feeding this thing. It just reeks of Troll.

22. curitibagarrett macrumors member

Why do you give your phone to a three year old close to water?

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Back in the day we had a thing called "sippy cups" :) Spillproof!

24. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

My question is, you were paying for pre paid service and your regular ATT bill at the same time??

25. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong