Walking dead Game Episodes on HD4000?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by R3fr3sh, Aug 10, 2013.

1. R3fr3sh, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

R3fr3sh macrumors member

just purchased my macbook retina pro 13" and i wanted to know if I am able to play this game without issues. I am not a gamer, but I am a big fan of walking dead. Just wanted to know before I blow 30$

Let me know thanks!

EDIT

walking dead works perfectly, played it through with high settings and its all good!

2. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Idk much about mac gaming. But read the minimum requirements for the game. Then read the recommended requirements. Then read comparable gpu benchmarks on the game. Then reflect. Then you have your answer

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

From Telltale's website:

http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead

Mac System Requirements

Processor: 2.3 Ghz Intel
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 2 GB Space Free
    Video Card: 512 MB Nvidia or ATI graphics card
    Additional: Not recommended for Intel integrated graphics or Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks.

The answer is probably no.

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3LPEvQkd4I

Here's a video playing the game on a MBA with the same igpu.

5. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Yeah and the MBA in that video is mid-12 with intel 4000 graphics. So that performance should be very similar to what you'd get on your computer. Lots of games don't recommend intel graphics, that doesn't mean it can't be played. When I was playing fall out 3 with my old laptop, the game wouldn't even load up because my graphics were unsupported. Had to get a card spoofer and the game ran perfectly fine on medium level graphics...

6. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I find it odd that this game works well on the 4S yet Telltales doesn't optimize it for lower graphic cards. (Still the 4S is missing quite a number of graphic effects to accommodate a much weaker GPU)

7. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

FYI, I had lots of issues with episode 1 on my 15" Retina and got ignored by Telltale after emailing them about the issues and filling up their forums with it too. The game was unplayable.. the letters did not appear and the game was constantly freezing.

I managed to get a refund after quoting some EU laws regarding consumer rights and Steam refunded the money as a "one time thing bla bla bla".

TLDR: Unless they updated the game, don't buy it. Issues on Retinas.

8. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Wow, I would expect it to run on the 15" with no problems. I'm assuming it's an issue with the game and not because the 15" isn't powerful enough?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, I wouldn't recommend any gaming on any Intel iGPU.

10. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Oh yes, the issue is definitely with the game, not the machine. The 15" is more than capable of running that game with no issues at all.

Again, for anyone interested, maybe they updated it. If there's any way, check when the latest update came out. I had the issue like 1 year ago.

11. leman macrumors 604

They surely mean the early gen integrated cards. The HD4000 is more then competent enough to play a game like that. I mean, it can play Crysis: Warhead at 50 fps 1680 x 1050 (http://tinyurl.com/6qq7taa)

12. leimin macrumors newbie

I play it on windows 8 bootcamp and it works just fine :cool:

13. xnview macrumors member

I have played most of episode 1 of the walking dead it on my 13" rMBP (2.6 GHZ processor) without any problems, don't remember what settings I used though but it ran great.

14. R3fr3sh, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013

R3fr3sh thread starter macrumors member

Thats great, I plan on downloading it right now. That is odd I checked the App Store on my iPhone 5, and the game was available for download. I had a hard time thinking that my new retina macbook could not play it.

Well I called up Steam and asked them if I could get a refund if it doesn't work. So i'm downloading it now.

Thanks, i don't know why Telltale mentions we can't play it. It played flawlessly! Even on the High settings