Wall Street analyst says "highly unlikely" for a recall

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gforce216, Jul 13, 2010.

1. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ould_impact_apples_operating_income_by_1.html

From what they have estimated, 75% of iPhone users use cases already and the press has made this issue gain more traction that what is realistically needed. At most a free bumper would be issued but analysts are now saying that due to the sheer magnitude of demand for the iPhone 4 that sales will speak for themselves and no fix/recall will be issued most likely.

I have to completely agree. I have owned 3 versions of the iPhone and have used a case on every one. This is becoming more than what it needs to be now. The sales of this phone are incredible and I honestly do not see Apple doing anything to fix this problem. It would be a kind gesture, but not a necessary one.

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I still think that if they can't fix it through software, going forward Apple will insulate the antenna with some sort of clear film.

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

I seriously don't understand why this was an issue for Apple in the first place. Just indent the antenna somewhat, and then put the steal band over it, so it's not touching the antenna at that part. There's a million ways to adjust the design so you're not touching the antenna and attenuating the signal.

Gobsmacking, really, and despite being a big Apple fan, Apple's silence on an issue that DOES exist is staggering... I'm getting more and more soured by Apple, and my iPad dying this weekend didn't help matters...

4. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

The sales may be good for this iPhone, but after this it will be interesting to see how next years sales will be at the beginning.

5. dojoman macrumors 65816

Blame Jonathan Ive for that...

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

Frankly that thinking would mean the Toyota issue would be a non-issue since a ridiculously small fraction was affected.

The problem is it's a matter of credibility.

7. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

There's a big difference between toyota and apple. Apple's can be fixed by using a free bumper..a broken car can kill you..

these analogies dont make sense..

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Seems likely. And easiest.

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

problem is the bumper isn't free as of this point, and there are no indications it will be free either

10. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Nor does it actually help (at least in my case when I'm at home). I can lose all bars in under a minute even with it on.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

CR has suggested placing a small piece of electrical tape over the problem area. I bet Apple is hard at work on a solution to insulate the antenna from the hand holding the phone, either using tape or some sort of conformal coating or paint. If people complain they will get handed a phone that looks the same but has no conductive path from the hand holding the phone to the antenna. With millions sold, costs of a recall over this would be staggering. The problem is that stonewalling and pretending that nothing wrong is could cost Apple a lot more in the long run. This is where the Toyota analogy comes in. There are a few companies in Detroit whose reputations suffered for trying this approach to quality and two of them just went through bankruptcy. Just as Apple is finally replacing all those dead Time Capsules, they need to step up and offer a remedy for the iPhone 4 reception issue rather than focus on deleting posts from their support forums that mention CR. BTW, my TC died right on schedule 18 months into its useless life. If Apple blows this and perception of Apple's quality starts to fall like Dell, they will wish they had paid $700 apiece to buy all those iPhone 4's back.

Want more proof? AAPL has mirrored the DOW until the CR "not recommended" story broke. Now the DOW is up 0.5% and APPL is down 0.5%. Arrogance at this point will lead Apple nowhere from here but down.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha, you can be sure the iPhone nuts will line up for blocks a day ahead while a number of fools will sit in a tent for a week waiting. Jobs could be selling a week old fish with iPhone 5 stamped on the side and it would sell millions. :)

13. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

What if you're in an emergency situation and your damned phone doesn't work and you can't call for help and someone dies because of not being able to reach anyone?

That makes perfect sense to me, and many others...

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Bad services happens all the time with AT&T.

Where were all the deaths from this in 2009, 2008, 2007? Where were all the recalls for each of those years?

In 2008 I estimate that I dropped 3 or 4 calls a day with my iPhone 3G. That's hundreds of dropped calls. I didn't return that phone. So far my i4 has been better than that. It only drops 1 call a day. Progress!

Fact is, cell phones lose signal a lot in many, many different ways. So we have one more way. It's a bad design in they should change it, yes, but it's not really all that different from every other cell phone ever made.

Read my post history, I've been really hard on Apple about this whole thing. What I'm saying doesn't excuse them for this flaw. But I think it has reached the point where people are acting like every other cell phone was perfect. They weren't. People need to get some perspective.

15. mangohippo macrumors member

That's an inept argument. Holding the phone a certain way causes you to lose service. Some people's natural hand position causes this issue. If you're in an emergency situation and you aren't willing to hold the phone in another position to make a call then sorry, the Darwin Award goes to you.

If said situation arises and you can't call 911 because you're unwilling to hold the phone in a different way then quite frankly your stupidity and stubbornness isn't welcome in this world.

16. phrint macrumors 6502

Sorry to burst your bubble but those fluctuations with Apple's stock price do not even come close to showing that there is an effect in regard to the Consumer Reports story. Stop making the story bigger than it is.

17. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

You do know that at the moment (since yesterday) AAPL has dropped 2.5% IE 5 points.

If you think there wasn't an impact then look at this:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL

18. cenetti macrumors 6502

Apple wasn't silent about the issue. They came out and lied about it being software issue, not a hardware one.

Now what do you expect them to say ? Come out again and say " Hey iphone calculates bars incorrectly but also we fuked up with the" revolutionary antenna design"... thanks to millons of suckers who bought our lemon test units ? We will be fixing it on the next batch...

Do you really expect them to say what ?..... :rolleyes:

19. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Wishing won't make it so. Sorry. :rolleyes:

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

21. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Are these the same "analysts" that said the iPhone was coming too Verizon? :rolleyes: lol

22. phrint macrumors 6502

Not big enough of a drop to say that the CR story made an impact. Sorry.

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There will be no recall because there is no issue with the antenna. The only problem is AT&T's poor network service. But that can't be controlled by Apple.

24. futbalguy macrumors 6502

It diverged 3% from the Dow so I think its legit. This isnt just CR now. Every other website and newspaper has picked up on this and its embarassing since most of the headlines talk about using duct tape to fix it. I really think this is going to hurt Apple in the eye's of the average consumer now. Its really out there.

25. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Christ, what a bone headed response. Some Apple fan boys make me sick sometimes. I could go over how its been proven to be a design flaw, but that won't make any difference to you.