Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Why no Retina? If this is true there is for sure not a chance I'm going to buy it.
As they say: "Once you go Retina, you never go back".

The display is what the Ipad is all about. I hope these rumors will turn out false since I can't see Apple go back to a lower resolution. What's the reason?

Why is the non-Retina iPad 2 still on the market?

If you want Retina bad enough... you pay extra for it.

Or you can buy one of those other tablets with high-resolution screens. Just don't expect the same experience or app ecosystem.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Exactly! the lack of iMac rumors (in comparable numbers to iPad mini and what we saw with iPhone 5) really worries me

Don't get me wrong I want an iMac as much as anyone but apple would have to be stupid to invest time or resources into anything but iPhones / iPads. Apple sells way more of these devices and their profit per devices is way way higher.

There is absolutely no reason why they would spend development time, production resources, shipping resources or even shelf space an updated iMac it just does not make sense.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
With the new iPod starting at $299 and the iPad 2 still selling at $399 I can't see the mini selling for less than $349?

I don't think it matters... the iPod Touch and the iPad Mini are 2 different types of devices (even if the price is the same)

If you're looking for a pocket-sized multimedia player... you won't be buying a 7" tablet... and vice versa.

The new iPod Touch has a lot of stuff crammed into a tiny body. Miniaturization is a bitch. Plus it's 32GB and Retina.

I could totally see a 16GB 7.85" non-Retina iPad Mini selling for $299.

And then another $100 for the bigger iPad 2. And another $100 for the Retina iPad.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Regarding the iMac's, maybe they are planning on skipping Ivy altogether and going straight to Haswell. When are Haswell CPU's likely to be available for iMac's anyway?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Ok, One simple question please................

The iPhone 5 has the new smaller dock connector.

Without question the new iPad mini will also have the same new smaller dock connector.

Do you think they will leave the current iPad3 running with the large old connector till next march when iPad4 launches?

Or do you think at the same time as the iPad mini is launched, they will announce a tweak to the current iPad and give it the smaller dock also, so all 3 devices are in line with each other?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Regarding the iMac's, maybe they are planning on skipping Ivy altogether and going straight to Haswell. When are Haswell CPU's likely to be available for iMac's anyway?

May-June or so, you think people will wait for that, it's still long away, not only that, how long is it without a refresh, tooooo loooong.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Exactly! the lack of iMac rumors (in comparable numbers to iPad mini and what we saw with iPhone 5) really worries me

I agree. Where's my MacBook Pro 13" with retina display, for instance? It was supposed to be launched in "early October", which is here already. What choice in specs will I have? When, exactly, is it coming out?

Apple seems to be taking that Post-PC Era stuff a bit too seriously.

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
When the new iPod went live on the UK site apple changed the price of the iPad to starting at £249 (the same price as the new iPod). Could just have been an error but I think the iPad mini will start at that price.

tbusby

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I wonder if the iPad Mini will come with the same wifi issues, bluetooth drop-outs, scuffs, scratches, dents, camera purple-fringing, terrible Maps app, lack of accessory support and with no adaptors available.

This is, after all, the Apple we've all come to know and love...

It is amazing to me how quickly some forget all of the awesome technology changes that Apple has been responsible for in the last 20 years and only judge their mistakes. Or should I say "go away troll, your not wanted here!."

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
May-June or so, you think people will wait for that, it's still long away, not only that, how long is it without a refresh, tooooo loooong.

Yep, waiting for Haswell would mean 700+ days since a refresh... worse than the Mac Pro! (counting the small spec bump as a cycle).

Can't believe there has been no rumours what-se-ever regarding specs, etc.

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
Ok, One simple question please................

The iPhone 5 has the new smaller dock connector.

Without question the new iPad mini will also have the same new smaller dock connector.

Do you think they will leave the current iPad3 running with the large old connector till next march when iPad4 launches?

Or do you think at the same time as the iPad mini is launched, they will announce a tweak to the current iPad and give it the smaller dock also, so all 3 devices are in line with each other?

I think Apple is planning to switch all their devices to the lightning connector.
It would look weird if we had new iPhones, iPod Touches and iPad Minis using the new type of connectors, while quite expensive iPads with a Retina display were sold with the old 30 pin connector.

Personally, I expect them to update all iPads with the lightning connector and it will probably be announced at the October media event. Hopefully, Apple will also use a new A6 processor in the new (10 inch) iPad or implement the 32nm process for the current A5X processor (meaning that it will get a better battery life and will run cooler).

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
I think this is given. After testing googles nexus 7 i must say that it fits a nice spot between mobile and iPad. The more mature the market gets the more differentiation we will see.

AND on that note. Apple needs to differentiate the iPhone better. Now they have 3.5" and 4". But I'm sure they would sell A LOT if they had a 3" with this design (especially in Europe and Asia):

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2012-10-03 kl. 11.15.58.png
    Skärmavbild 2012-10-03 kl. 11.15.58.png
    314.1 KB · Views: 100

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Apple will be tripling down on secrecy next year, since just doubling failed miserably

My strong hunch is that the sources were from within Apple and that was an intentional announcement to the WSJ. Apple wants to let investors know that they should continue investing in Apple because it will go after every market segment it can.

It's hard to see what would motivate the WSJ to run this story for consumer interest based on leaks from a supplier, which would be difficult for the WSJ to substantiate; it's most likely for investor interest and sourced by Apple.

Apple says it won't pre-announce products because it doesn't want customers to make decisions on bad information, but I don't think it's as worried about information being incomplete when it comes to ensuring investors aren't worried.

Again, just a hunch. But a strong one.

konradphoto

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Don't get me wrong I want an iMac as much as anyone but apple would have to be stupid to invest time or resources into anything but iPhones / iPads. Apple sells way more of these devices and their profit per devices is way way higher.

There is absolutely no reason why they would spend development time, production resources, shipping resources or even shelf space an updated iMac it just does not make sense.

I'm not an economist but there is something like market 'demand'... and I think (at least I hope) that there is a pretty big community of users waiting for an updated iMac. I wait myself mainly for USB3 and I hope for a better graphics card at the 21inch end and if I could afford changing a computer every 1-2 years, then I definitely would have bought the current one :) ).

If what you described is the Apple's new approach towards their clients and they will not meet the demand with the supply, then bye bye Apple in few years.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
This rumor needs to be confirmed quick...as I'm ready to push the button on some refurb iPod touches for my twin toddlers for xmas, but if the iPad mini turns out to be real, I would much rather buy them that instead (for a fair price)

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Or should I say "go away troll, your not wanted here!."

If you particularly wanted to demonstrate your bad grammar, you could indeed type that.

I'm not entirely sure what exactly constitutes a troll, but I'm just very angry with Apple's lack of respect for their customers and equally angry with all the consumers blindly buying Apple's under-par products. For a company that demands such a high price and has such enormous amounts of cash, I don't feel such a high number of mistakes are acceptable.

Adam Young

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2004
Question about iPad mini display

Why can't the purported iPad mini have a 1/2 sized Retina display: 1024x1536. The display could probably be easily/cheaply produced with current machinery, and at the same time giving Apple the 'resolutionary' edge over Google and Amazon.

Anybody???

Jiz

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011

The iPad & iPhone customers will also want a desktop and notebook.
I predict iMac and MacBook sales to go thru the roof.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Since Google has decided not to sell the Nexus 7 or support the Play store outside apps in my country (Finland), I'll be picking one of these babies as soon as it's launched :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
And if it does will be Apple's biggest blunder in a long time.

Wow, you can see into the future? Look into your crystal ball and tell us when will Apple release new iMacs, Mac Pros, and the Classic iPod?

This rumor needs to be confirmed quick...as I'm ready to push the button on some refurb iPod touches for my twin toddlers for xmas, but if the iPad mini turns out to be real, I would much rather buy them that instead (for a fair price)

Considering Christmas is still a few months away, I think you have time ;)

An iPad mini for a toddler? Wow. Not judging though :)

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
Why can't the purported iPad mini have a 1/2 sized Retina display: 1024x1536. The display could probably be easily/cheaply produced with current machinery, and at the same time giving Apple the 'resolutionary' edge over Google and Amazon.

Anybody???

At this point, it looks like plain wishful thinking, but at the same time it is still a possibility. (then the resolution itself will probably be different: maybe 1536x1152)

1024x768 resolution used in the iPad 2 is not very suitable for reading pdf files and comfortable browsing. If Apple is planning to bring some serious competition to this niche of the market, it would have to adopt a higher resolution display and pixel density. Time will tell though...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.