iPad Walmart $479 for iPad Air...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lesser Evets, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

2. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Best Buy and Target sold the iPad 4 for $449. I remember folks jumping on it during last year's holiday season. Free shipping too from what I remember if there was no availability in a local store.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Will they have day 1 cellular models though...

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'm starting to regret asking for Apple gift cards for Christmas and my Birthday over the past year. I've been hoarding them for a while because I knew there would be a redesign this year so I kept holding out. With no preorders + these deals at retailers I'm feeling a little bit screwed. I should have at least asked for Amazon cards so that I could skip paying sales tax. I'm dumb. :(

5. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Live and learn I suppose but I would not feel to bad about it. Lots of folks like dealing with Apple instead.

6. sjperformance macrumors 6502

I'm buying my ipad air from walmart this time around. $479.99. Also my friends mom is a manager at my local store and she will give me 10% off. I'm giving her the money Thursday so she can get it for me Friday. With walmart price and 10% I'm at $462.62 total price for 16GB silver/white iPad Air.

7. bobright macrumors 601

Does she or anybody know if they'll have the 32GB models w/ the rollback price? I'll have to call them doubt they will know much maybe as we get closer they will though.

8. Lesser Evets thread starter macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

If the new iPads are sold like the old iPads, all iPads have the rollback in some way. It was $100 extra for each level at Sam's, so it was $449, $549, $649.

9. bobright macrumors 601

Nice, my Walmart is open 24hrs think I might be able to snatch one at midnight? I doubt it but you never know I'll give it a shot. If all else fails just head to Apple in the morning.

10. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Anyone familiar with what time Wal-Mart is allowed to sell their first iPads on launch day?

11. Jack Tripper macrumors member

Nov. 1 at midnight would be a very busy time at Wal Mart, for reasons unrelated to Apple products.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm very surprised. This year, Amazon agreed to charge sales tax and I didn't think there were any states left where Amazon didn't charge sales tax (except those states without a sales tax).

13. spicynujac macrumors regular

Amazon charges sales tax in states where it has a physical presence (a distribution warehouse) ONLY. It *supported* a controversial law which would allow internet sales taxation, meaning that it agreed to charging sales taxes, but this law did not pass. (FYI This was a huge reversal after Amazon spent years and millions on lobbyists fighting internet sales taxation with strong success). I will stop shopping at Amazon when they start taxing my purchases.

14. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Amazon doesn't sell iPads only 3rd party retailers.

15. tehBrad macrumors regular

be careful, i know walmart only sells 16gb iphones at some stores (at least the ones around here)

so im not sure of their iPad situation.

16. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Lol don't worry I know exactly what your talkin about.....

17. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I had considered walmart, if only slightly.

What is he talking about?

18. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Best Buy for me. I get interest free for 18 months and my Silver Rewards eliminates only having a 15 day return policy.

19. bobright macrumors 601

Not a big Walmart shopper why what are you guys talking about, crackheads and such? lol oh well

20. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I had thought about Walmart. But, when the 5s came out, they only had 16gb units when I went in. Since I will be getting 128... not sure if I sure wait to find out they have none.

21. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

But can we pick it up at midnight?

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sams at 9am still did not know where/if they had any 5s inventory. Waited an hour and gave up. Went to Walmart. Only 16gb Back to ATT store. Earlier line was gone, walked in and got phone.

23. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

Regarding walmart...

I picked up my iPad 3 on launch day at walmart and target. It went like this:
    At about 4pm I went to the walmart electronics department and politely asked the clerk on duty when they would begin selling iPad 3's. He said probably midnight, but he wouldn't be on duty so he wasn't sure. He said the person on duty would come in at 8pm.
    I left and came back at 10pm and spoke to the clerk on duty then. He said they would start selling at midnight, that I was "first in line", assuming I stayed. I did, and others started arriving shortly thereafter. We formed a nice orderly group that stayed out of other customers traffic. When the clerk got a break, he checked the stack of iPad boxes behind the counter and told us how many of each type there were. If I recall correctly there were 5 16gig wifi's and 5 64gig ATT. That's it. Just the two types. The clerk said we would be limited to purchasing one iPad per person.

Several times, as new people arrived, they asked to be sold the iPads early, but the clerk could not because the point of sale system wouldn't allow it.

At exactly midnight, some bits flipped in the cash register and the clerk started selling us our iPads.

I walked out with my 64gigATT and went over to the local target and best buy to check on their lines. Both stores were closed and there was no line either place.

I later went back to target at 6am because I get a 5% discount there with my target card. At 6am there were no lines, but the weather was nice, so I started a new line. Gradually the line filled with people, several of whom were also at the walmart at midnight. They were buying ipads for family and one wasn't enough :).

Target had the exact same stock as walmart: 5 16gig wifi and 5 64gig ATT. They sold out in minutes as well. Again, one per customer. I bought another 64gig ATT then went back to walmart and returned my unopened first ipad and got my money back. I assume it was restocked and sold soon thereafter (I had warned the clerk I might be doing a return because of the target discount).

Anyway, stock was very limited and didn't improve for several months at either walmart or target. The choice was 16gig wifi or 64gig ATT. Bestbuy eventually started getting in sprint and verizon, and more rarely a 32gig wifi.

I hope this rollout has more variety than the last.

I also hope that the carriers won't "lockout" the LTE ipads from other carriers like sprint and verizon have done with the ipad 4. Technically the ipads are unlocked, but you can't use an ipad bought for sprint on verizon because they track and block "serial numbers" (IMEI) from their competition. With only one LTE version this time around, I hope the carriers will play nice.

24. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

Don't regret anything....as long as you can prove the price difference apple will price match their own products. I always by my items at best buy because I like their rewards program and they price match as well. My iPhones....those I only go to apple on launch day every year.

25. cagcody macrumors regular

I went to Walmart for the iPad 3 launch at midnight. I was looking for a Verizon LTE model, but they didn't have any. Ended up going to Verizon the following morning and picked one up. I plan on going to Walmart at midnight to purchase an iPad Air since I only want the wifi version. Hope they have them.