Walmart and Best Buy Opt Out of 'Apple Pay' as Apple Leverages Required Point-of-Sale Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At its "Apple Pay" introduction earlier this week, Apple outlined a host of partners for the mobile payments initiative, ranging from credit card companies to the banks that issue the cards to retailers representing over 220,000 retail locations in the United States. Questions have remained, however, about how willing other retailers will be to sign on to the program and how quickly those that do will be able to get up and running.

In the wake of Apple's announcement, several major retailers such as Walmart and Best Buy were in fact quick to state that they do not plan to support Apple Pay, as noted by The Wall Street Journal
    For those retailers considering joining Apple Pay, however, it appears that Apple has timed its rollout perfectly. As highlighted by Pando Daily, Apple is taking advantage of regulatory changes that essentially require merchants to deploy new payment hardware in their retail stores over the coming year. This mass upgrade by over nine million merchants is the result of an updated credit card liability policy adopted by major credit card companies.
    As a result of this change in credit card liability, merchants are upgrading their payment processing hardware to support EMV credit cards and other payment technology. With Apple now on board with NFC, a greater number of merchants who are in the middle of this decision-making process may choose NFC-capable POS hardware so they can process payments via Apple Pay.

Apple's new Apple Pay service takes advantage of the Touch ID fingerprint sensor, stored credit cards, and a secure NFC connection to authorize payments at retailers' physical stores and in compatible apps. Both the iPhone 6 handset lineup and the Apple Watch will support the wireless payment method.

Article Link: Walmart and Best Buy Opt Out of 'Apple Pay' as Apple Leverages Required Point-of-Sale Upgrades

2. Jsameds macrumors 68040

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

For the 2 times I go to Walmart each year and the 5 times I go to Best Buy, I think I'll live.

5. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Good luck with that!

Merchant Customer Exchange sounds old and ugly. No one has time for stupid names like that.

6. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I don't shop at either one, so oh well. Target is a bigger concern for me since the article said they belong to the same group, but I guess time will tell. And no, that wasn't a pun.

7. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, because why would an TECHNOLOGY retailer want MODERN POS systems?

#FailureFactory

8. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Offering Apple Pay is the least Walmart can do for their customers seeing as they make billions every year. No problem, Walmart just wants to retain their low-end status. I thought they were trying to become better. Guess not.

9. monaarts macrumors 65816

My guess is once they see how successful :apple: Pay is elsewhere they will reverse this decision. I know if I only had my iPhone on me and needed to stop to get some toilet paper, pens, and carrots I would go to Target because they accept :apple: Pay - meaning lost wallet share for Walmart.

10. richman555 macrumors 6502

richman555

I will stop buying at Walmart and Best Buy. Problem solved.

They make plenty of money for upgrades.

11. AngerDanger, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Here's to hoping that all of the other affiliates opt out before Pay goes live. That would really simplify, distill, and streamline the whole conversion to Pay process. Just imagine…

[​IMG]

12. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

As long as other retailers sign up to apple pay Walmart and best buy may change their stance.

But if it is just a software download there's nothing stopping iOS 8.1 or 9 supporting it.

13. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Best Buy is teetering on the edge of extinction you'd figure they'd do everything they can to make their costumers er... customer happy...:rolleyes:

14. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Will Best Buy be around in 2015? LMAO

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

What's the over/under on when they'll reconsider that decision?...I'm taking the under.

16. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

If Walmart, Best Buy, and the rest of these clowns have not reversed course by the next big product launch, Apple should simply allocate no stock for them and say, "When you have implemented :apple:Pay, we'll stock your warehouses/stores." That conversation would be over fairly quickly.

17. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

i'd guess they'll eventually come around. when 50 million people are trying to pay with their phones and/or watches, at some point some exec will change directions.

in any case, i'm glad the US is finally getting mobile payment options main stream.

18. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

No great loss. Every time I go into a Walmart, there 5000 people in ONE LINE and every time I go into BestBuy, I get ignored.

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I don't think they realize quite how big of a barrier that is for many people. Especially if Apple Pay is working at lots of other places and they already can use that on their phone without a download. Plus, it's not just a download, you'll also have to create yet another account, with another password, sign in, etc.

20. rictus007 macrumors regular

Who go to walmart anyways? ..., peopleofwalmart?

21. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

Man, Apple always seems to be a lot smarter than we think they are. What timing!

WalMart/Bestbuy.. their loss.

22. darcyf macrumors 6502

darcyf

This makes not shopping at Walmart and Best Buy an even easier decision than ever.

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Wow, that is going to be a loss for the retailers over time, I think, if they don't ever make the change. At the rate the new iPhone is selling, they're potentially missing out on millions of transactions where people might go to another retailer who does support the new service.

I'm very surprised at Best Buy being a technology retailer and reseller of Apple products to not be on board with this. For shame.

24. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

I think one of the places I'll use apple pay the most (once I upgrade to 6Plus2 next year), is Starbucks. Often people order their drink and when they pay in cash, often take a while getting it.

Apple Pay will, hopefully, make the line go quicker, as long as their battery doesn't die and they have to plug it in for it to work:D

25. isepic macrumors member

Chip and Pin

Walmart and Sam's Club started their new "chip and pin" system just recently --- every-single-time it is used, takes FOREVER, plus, they don't even enter in a pin, just push the card in, 3-4 times later it finally reads it, goes though the slow process of authentication, then asks if you want cash back, then another slow process to finish. Mean while if you had stripe, you'd be done in 30 seconds, Apple Pay, 5 seconds if you have a clean finger :)