Walmart Announces Apple Pay Competitor 'Walmart Pay' for iOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Walmart today introduced its own mobile payments service called "Walmart Pay" built into its Walmart app on iOS and Android. The new Apple Pay competitor will roll out in select Walmart stores in the U.S. this month, followed by a nationwide launch within the first half of 2016.

[​IMG]

Walmart Pay's QR code-based checkout process will involve opening the Walmart app, selecting Walmart Pay, activating the camera, scanning the code displayed at the register and waiting for the cashier to finish bagging your items. An electronic receipt will automatically be sent to the Walmart app.

The new payments solution will only work in Walmart stores and supports any major credit, debit, pre-paid or Walmart gift card. Walmart says that 22 million customers actively use its Walmart app each month, placing it among the top three retail apps in the App Store and Google Play.

Walmart is among a handful of retailers that have refused to support Apple Pay since its U.S. launch in October 2014. The retailer is instead one of over a dozen retailers committed to the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) consortium and its yet-to-launch rival payments service CurrentC.

Walmart's future plans to support Apple Pay remain undisclosed, but the company's senior vice president of services Daniel Eckert said Walmart Pay allows "for integration of other mobile wallets in the future."
    Walmart App is free on the App Store for iPhone and Apple Watch. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Walmart Announces Apple Pay Competitor 'Walmart Pay' for iOS

2. bkaus macrumors regular

Oh yea, the simplicity of an app for every store. And I really want Walmart to have my credit card info saved on their servers.

3. Voytech macrumors member

Maybe it will let you donate to their employees for christmas?

4. chromite macrumors regular

Everyone's thinking the exact same thing... "seriously?"

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Last weekend I went to the local chain grocery store, same distance from my house as WalMart. While I was there, they announced they were now accepting Apple Pay. They also had everything on my grocery list, and weren't filled with "people of WalMart."

Buhbye WalMart.

6. designcouch macrumors newbie

designcouch

Yeah, so good luck with that Walmart. I don't shop with you anyway, and now I have yet another reason NOT to.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

This sounds every bit as fiddly and awkward as CurrentC. What a freaking joke.

8. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Really? Really Walmart? I'm not trusting you with my data, and are you really going to compete? Come on...

9. captain cadet macrumors 6502

I cannot see this taking off - the fact that I can use apple pay in other stores where I can tap my phone next to the reader and it bring up apple pay automatically.
    Here I have to unlock, find the app, open it and then do press a button to pay!
    I might as well get my wallet out and card...

10. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Garbage.

Oh, and a "good job" to Walmart for also using Helvetica Neue for the word "pay" - exactly like Apple.

Wish CurrentC would just die already.

11. nolankvn macrumors member

nolankvn

Nevermind the fact that it's Walmart, what's really bizarre is that so many of these companies are trying to get into mobile payments with QR code scanning. What a waste of everyone's time.

12. newdeal macrumors 68020

uh yeah except for its not easy because there are more steps required to pay and an app you need to download...Apple pay is great for its simplicity although I only have a 50% success rate so far at stores. One gave me a card error message on the terminal (so then I tapped the physical card and it worked fine) and the other kept saying to hold it near the reader even though it was on the reader and the reader was what made apple pay activate so I know it was in the right area. That problem was also just solved by tapping the actual card

13. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

If this is simplicity and ease of use...

14. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

It basically IS CurrentC. Remember that Walmart was part of that consortium. I can't see how this method of payment will be any more convenient than simply dumping all your items on a checkout counter and swiping with plastic. It seems like Walmart is making a bigger chore out of paying them.

15. Snapper Cridge macrumors newbie

Snapper Cridge

Walmart Announces Apple Pay Competitor 'Walmart Pay' for iOS that Nobody Will Use

16. Thunderhawks Suspended

17. szw-mapple fan, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

szw-mapple fan macrumors 68000

szw-mapple fan

Scanning QR codes is basically mobile payment for the sake of mobile payment. It's not better than credit cards in any way.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Walmart won't quit.

That whole process sounds like a pain in the behind

19. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

I don't even like buying cat food from those *******s because I don't trust the bastards

20. MarkThomas1971 macrumors newbie

MarkThomas1971

21. majkom macrumors 65816

still dont get it, what is so awesome about apple pay? I am using nfc debit/credit cards for years, why should I tap phone instead of card near the reader? where is the benefit?

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, many people go to walmart only once a month and buy a huge amount of stuff. so having a little less convenient way to pay isn't a big deal if you are mainly interested in saving money. I don't shop at walmart but I can see this working for many people. and competition in the payment systems is good unless you want apple to gain a monopoly and raising prices for their service.....

23. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

24. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I understand Walmart's reasoning. As convoluted as this sounds, the amount of customers using it is a win win for them.