Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walmart today announced that it has started selling the MacBook Air with the M1 chip in the U.S., with pricing set at a very reasonable $699. The laptop can be ordered now on Walmart.com, and it will be available soon at select Walmart stores.

Walmart-MacBook-Air-M1.jpg

This is the first time that customers can purchase a Mac that is sold directly by Walmart, the company said in a press release. Some other retailers like Amazon and Best Buy have previously offered this model for as low as $749.99.

Apple first released the MacBook Air with the M1 chip in November 2020, as one of the first Macs with an Apple silicon chip instead of an Intel processor. The configuration being sold for $699 includes the M1 chip, 256GB of storage, and 8GB of RAM/unified memory, with Gold, Silver, and Space Gray color options available. Walmart's product listing says the MacBook Air is in brand new condition, so this is not a used/refurbished model.

Apple discontinued the MacBook Air with the M1 chip earlier this month, following the launch of new MacBook Air models with its latest-generation M3 chip. Prior to being discontinued, the model was being sold for $999 brand new. Apple continues to sell refurbished MacBook Air models with the M1 chip, with pricing starting at $759.

ModelStarting PriceConditionRetailer
M3 MacBook Air (15")​
$1,299​
New​
Apple​
M3 MacBook Air (13")​
$1,099​
New​
Apple​
M2 MacBook Air (13")​
$999​
New​
Apple​
M1 MacBook Air (13")​
$759​
Refurbished​
Apple​
M1 MacBook Air (13")​
$699​
New​
Walmart​

While the MacBook Air with the M1 chip is around three and a half years old, it is still a very capable machine for many average day-to-day tasks. However, it has an older design and has fewer remaining years of macOS compatibility than the latest MacBook Air models, so those aspects should be factored into your purchasing decision.

Article Link: Walmart Begins Selling MacBook Air With M1 Chip for $699 in U.S.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Not a bad deal in the slightest considering all the abominably bad Inspirons, Pavilions and other Windows laptops that they sell.

This is also considering the used (mint) value of them is still around $625-650 or so on Swappa. So you're technically getting a solid deal.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Wow! At that price I’d buy it in a heartbeat, although I’d prefer a machine with more RAM. Sadly, that model could only have 16GB of RAM through Apple.
______

I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t just keep selling it at this price point. The profits would still be there, I’d imagine.
⬇️
They don't want to be seen as a budget brand, but they're happy to let Walmart sell them at a budget price.
⬇️
Or, because it could cannibalize sales of the M2 and M3 MacBook Air, where they probably have bigger margins.

GrenadeOconnor

Suspended
Mar 11, 2024
Sort of humorous

Will expansion down into the “lower end” tarnish the brand appeal?
It's the M1 MacBook Air lots of people already own and have been purchasing for years. I doubt it is going to tarnish the brand just because they're selling it $60 cheaper at Walmart than their own refurb store.

Reactions: AlexMac89

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It's the M1 MacBook Air lots of people already own and have been purchasing for years. I doubt it is going to tarnish the brand just because they're selling it $60 cheaper at Walmart than their own refurb store.

Never know
It's incredible how many folks I know who look down upon Walmart (and that clientele) with absolute disdain (it's sad)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Don't why Apple didn't re-release the m1 MacBook as the Macbook SE and at a $699 price point, It is still premium enough at that price range.
It would need a redesign for the magsafe power port and increase the end of life date for the m1. This way they can say you bought an old model, for a cheap price, instead of a new model that's poorly supported.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t just keep selling it at this price point. The profits would still be there, I’d imagine.
Too many would get the correct impression that a 8/256 M1 Air @ $699 is better value/$ than the M3 equivalent, and especially the M2 equivalent, considering that the 8/256 M2 Air is the one with the semi-crippled SSDs that the M1 and M3 equivalent aren't bogged down by.

I'm by no means saying the 8/256 M1 Air is the best MacBook Air you can buy.

But whether you consider raw benchmarks or the genuine use-case of 99%+ laptop buyers out there, you'd save a lot of money and more than meet your needs with Walmart's $699 M1 Air.

Profit margins for Apple are far higher if they can convince you to buy an M2 or M3 over a heavily discounted M1 from retail.

It's the same reason Apple has never kept any iPhone older than three years in their line-up. You're not supposed to realize how little you gain by getting the latest and greatest from this or last year over something 3+ years old.

Additionally, once you're convinced on getting an M2 or M3 directly from Apple, you're also much more likely to upgrade the storage or RAM Apple makes an absolute killing on.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
Never know
It's incredible how many folks I know who look down upon Walmart (and that clientele) with absolute disdain (it's sad)
Yes. The majority of them are families that are doing the best they can, love their children, and stopping on the way home to get some groceries. I was there yesterday morning getting drain cleaner while wearing one of the 10 $6 Walmart gray tshirts I wear everyday but Sunday.

uffenman

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2022

Walmart today announced that it has started selling the MacBook Air with the M1 chip in the U.S., with pricing set at a very reasonable $699. The laptop can be ordered now on Walmart.com, and it will be available soon at select Walmart stores.

Walmart-MacBook-Air-M1.jpg

This is the first time that customers can purchase a Mac that is sold directly by Walmart, the company said in a press release. Some other retailers like Amazon and Best Buy have previously offered this model for as low as $749.99.

Apple first released the MacBook Air with the M1 chip in November 2020, as one of the first Macs with an Apple silicon chip instead of an Intel processor. The configuration being sold for $699 includes the M1 chip, 256GB of storage, and 8GB of RAM/unified memory, with Gold, Silver, and Space Gray color options available. Walmart's product listing says the MacBook Air is in brand new condition, so this is not a used/refurbished model.

Apple discontinued the MacBook Air with the M1 chip earlier this month, following the launch of new MacBook Air models with its latest-generation M3 chip. Prior to being discontinued, the model was being sold for $999 brand new. Apple continues to sell refurbished MacBook Air models with the M1 chip, with pricing starting at $759.

ModelStarting PriceConditionRetailer
M3 MacBook Air (15")​
$1,299​
New​
Apple​
M3 MacBook Air (13")​
$1,099​
New​
Apple​
M2 MacBook Air (13")​
$999​
New​
Apple​
M1 MacBook Air (13")​
$759​
Refurbished​
Apple​
M1 MacBook Air (13")​
$699​
New​
Walmart​

While the MacBook Air with the M1 chip is around three and a half years old, it is still a very capable machine for many average day-to-day tasks. However, it has an older design and has fewer remaining years of macOS compatibility than the latest MacBook Air models, so those aspects should be factored into your purchasing decision.

Article Link: Walmart Begins Selling MacBook Air With M1 Chip for $699 in U.S.
Well apparently it is not discontinued....this is Apple's alternative option for consumers who would have considered a Chromebook. This should really boost sales.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Not a bad deal in the slightest considering all the abominably bad Inspirons, Pavilions and other Windows laptops that they sell.
True, if you're not interested in a Windows laptop with 3x the RAM and 4x the storage with an i7 CPU and 15" screen for the same price? (Asus Vivobook 15). Now the measly 8GB RAM and puny 256GB SSD in the MBA M1 don't seem like that great a deal especially when Apple could double both of those and increase their cost about $40 (if that).

andrewxgx

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2018
because they want to keep the appearance of premium brand
im curious what is manufacturing date of those M1 MBAs
if they are in fact brand new and not old stock, apple is using big shops (walmart, amazon) for massive discounts without actually doing any discounts by themselves. similar tactic with Studio Display discounts.
it would also mean the premium brand growth is gone and they need to resort to Dell-style sales tactics to keep up revenue numbers

• Disagree
Reactions: rafark and 75Batt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.