'Walmart Pay' Mobile Wallet Rolls Out to Nearly 600 Stores in Texas and Arkansas

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After an initial announcement late last year, and a small test rollout, Walmart is now beginning a statewide launch of its in-house mobile payments solution Walmart Pay in Texas and Arkansas.

All 480 Walmart retail locations in Texas will support the mobile wallet service beginning today, as well as the 110 stores in Arkansas. Although the company continues to reiterate its plans for a wide-release rollout in the United States soon, it's still yet to give customers a specific launch window for Walmart Pay beyond the two states announced today.

"We can't wait to hear what our customers and associates in Texas [and Arkansas] think of Walmart Pay. The service was built to make shopping easier and faster, something we know our customers want," said Daniel Eckert, senior vice president, Services, Walmart U.S. "Walmart Pay is a powerful addition to our app, a tool that we're using to transform the shopping experience by seamlessly connecting our online assets and our stores for customers. The service opens the door to new and better ways we can serve the 140 million customers who shop our stores each week."
Unlike Apple Pay's NFC and Touch ID system, there are a few added steps to successfully check out with Walmart Pay: users have to navigate to the Walmart app on their phone, tap through to the Walmart Pay section, and then scan a QR code displayed at the register. Users can set up the app to be protected by a PIN or Touch ID, and the company says that "mostly any card" can be directly linked as a payment method for the service.

Walmart was part of an original collection of retailers who opposed Apple Pay in favor of an alternative mobile payments service, CurrentC, along with companies like Best Buy and Target. Best Buy has since backed support for Apple Pay, while Target is working on its own QR code solution, similar to Walmart Pay.

Although the launch of Walmart Pay suggests that the company isn't interested in integrating with other digital wallets -- like Apple Pay -- down the line, last year Walmart senior vice president of services Daniel Eckert said the QR code service allows "for integration of other mobile wallets in the future." Eckert continued to describe Walmart Pay as "an innovation that will make the ease of mobile payments a reality for millions of Americans."

The Walmart App can be downloaded from the App Store for free [Direct Link].

Article Link: 'Walmart Pay' Mobile Wallet Rolls Out to Nearly 600 Stores in Texas and Arkansas

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
"The service was built to make shopping easier and faster, something we know our customers want,"

If you really meant that, you'd embrace Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay that are already in abundance. Forcing customers to download, install, sign up for, and configure your app just for your store is not something that customers want to do.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
In before the 'mobile-home app' comment is made.

Edit - BTW, don't begrudge Walmart, Target or any other retailer for doing what they can to try to capture/utilize consumer data. For all the handwringing and new articles, US shoppers aren't really concerned about data security. Their behavior is more influenced by the opportunity to save money.

Merchants will continue to dangle that carrot out there to get the information that they want. Apple Pay was great for the ability to make anonymous transactions. But they really needed to implement an MST capable transaction (like Samsung Pay) to try to get it built in as a 'shopping habit'.

That's the biggest hurdle for mobile transactions. For most people pulling a card is faster than easier....and better than fumbling with your phone and hoping the transaction works.

Reactions: jase1125

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Apple Pay. Android Pay. Samsung Pay, Google Pay, SydPay....
Everyone can create their own "xyz pay" even though this may be limited to a small scale.
How about introducing a unified payment system for and by EVERY household around the world?

Do we need more "xyz pay" for purchasing car, grocery, and more? We do not need, yeah?

Last edited:
Reactions: attila

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
All mobile payment methods I have seen so far are still lacking imo. None will give you monthly stats on what you purchase. I want to see the breakdown of my purchases, how much I spend on gas or food or entertainment.

scuac

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
While I agree with the majority opinion here that Walmart should embrace the existing digital payment options, I don't get the criticism of this new system. How is it different than using the Starbucks app to get your coffee? I don't see an uproar about that application, in fact it seems quite popular.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Apple Pay. Android Pay. Samsung Pay, Google Pay, SydPay....
Everyone can create their own "xyz pay" even though this may be limited to a small scale.
How about introducing a unified payment system for and by EVERY household around the world?
i believe that's what CurrentC was intended to be but lo and behold, it's less a benefit to the customer as it is to the CC companies, and not as private a transaction as the competitors - which are keeping it from becoming the first 'monopoly' of these kinds of services.. at least that's what i gathered from casually following the developments.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

jfischer

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
While I agree with the majority opinion here that Walmart should embrace the existing digital payment options, I don't get the criticism of this new system. How is it different than using the Starbucks app to get your coffee? I don't see an uproar about that application, in fact it seems quite popular.
I don't know, I don't use the Starbucks app either.

Apple pay is so quick and easy, I don't even have to unlock my phone. It's much faster than using the chip on my credit card. The Wal-Mart app is so much more convoluted and time consuming from the description. Who wants to go through that hassle, would just be easier to use a credit card at that point.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The Starbucks payment system was started I swear about five years ago before Apple Pay was a thing. So it was an advancement and more convenient than what we had before. Had this come out five years ago, same thing. But now every major mobile phone sold supports either Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay using NFC. So basically it's like going to buy a new iPhone 6s and all they have for you is a bunch of iPhone 4 models.

geoffreyspencer

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
You can still use Apple Pay and the others at Starbuck. Walmart is being greedy and selfish in not allowing the use of the other digital payment options. No thank you Walmart!

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
"The service was built to make shopping easier and faster, something we know our customers want,"

If you really meant that, you'd embrace Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay that are already in abundance. Forcing customers to download, install, sign up for, and configure your app just for your store is not something that customers want to do.
You could say the same about 5400RPM hard disk drives found in very expensive iMacs. We want ot make the best prodcuts we possibly can, says TC. Remember, on the scale that Apple buy flash memory it would cost them peanuts.
A friend of mine just bought a new iMac and as much as I advised him that he shoudl get the SSD upgrade he chose to go without as, ‘I don’t need to - it’ll be a lot faster than it is now’. No.

scuac

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
You can still use Apple Pay and the others at Starbuck. Walmart is being greedy and selfish in not allowing the use of the other digital payment options. No thank you Walmart!
Although you cannot use Apple pay to pay directly at Starbucks, you have to go through their app and reload a starbucks card using Apple pay. If you just show up at the store and try to pay with your phobe without having the Starbucks app, good luck.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

'Configure' is the key word here. These apps are asking for personal and banking information to store on their severs.

This is a huge deal breaker for me.

Just let apple play, Samsung Pay, etc... work and be done with it.

jase1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Texas

You really don't speak for all customers BTW. Frankly, I like having apps like Starbucks and Walmart with integrated payments capability. I especially like opening the app and having my receipts there for returns or calculating sales tax paid at the end of every year. Although I have an iPhone and Apple Watch and appreciate the convenience of Apple Pay, I like that their solutions are platform agnostic.