Walmart says they are selling at midnight.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

The manager said they probably won't be on the shelves then, but to ask for one and they will go to the back and get it. This is at a Walmart in a very small town. I figured my chances could be better at getting one here. Anyone else trying to get one at Walmart?

2. blushark85 macrumors newbie

That sounds like a great idea that some might not think about. I'm tempted to call a few of the local 24 hr walmarts nearby but I'm afraid I'll alert the workers to the fact they might sell at midnight. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

I made the mistake of waiting a few days after the pre orders were up on apple.com. I ordered on the 12th and my ship date is set for April 2nd... :(

3. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Considering a lot of stores already got their stock in, not too surprising. They aren't "supposed" to, but I bet a lot of stores will cut corners to make customers happy. Pretty good idea.

4. jp700p macrumors regular

Sorry but its not going to work because the cash register will not allow the transaction to go through. Apple is working with all launch vendors very closely and something like this will not happen because corporate Wal-Mart is making sure all cash registers will not ring out until 8am.

Source: My local store manager when I inquired about the new iPad. My local walmart will be getting there shipment tomorrow and I had asked if I could buy one at midnight and that was his response above.

5. falcora macrumors 6502

I'm just going camping out at the apple store. They are guaranteed to get a comparatively large amount of stock.

6. blushark85 macrumors newbie

If that is the case maybe you could get a ticket at midnight and come back at 8 am to check out with iPad in hand?

7. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Another tip.

Sams Club is getting the iPad and Kmart. With Sams Club if you have a business account you can get in earlier than anyone else.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thanks for the heads up, I see they updated their site now. Last year just ten stores, this year a lot more, but still not all of them.

One question with Sams is whether they'll sell any prior to 10am since their site now says is when they start.

I suppose in the worst case you could get on line inside using the business membership. :)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/html/thenewipad.html

9. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

I have a question - what's the difference between buying an iPad at Apple, Walmart, Best Buy? Are the prices different?

10. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well crap. It looks like I may be screwed, unless I camp out at Best Buy all night long.

11. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

But you can wait inside and enjoy cheap hotdogs, pizza, and ice cream...lol

I am thinking I should have gotten the 64GB model now...errr

12. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Exactly what I'll be doing ;) Ill show up at 5 AM get in at 7am and just wait till 10 lol

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Pricing shouldn't be any different (ignoring a couple $) except if the stores are in different sales tax areas. Usually no difference, but it's 6% here and 9% in town due to different county/city tax rates, so that's not insubstantial on a $829 purchase.

Also, some people have BB gift cards to use or want reward zone points.

More importantly a lot of people probably have Walmarts and BestBuys a lot closer than an Apple store.

Yumm, breakfast of champions! Just don't overdo it, don't want a potty emergency at 9:55am! :)

14. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Ohhh true. Thanks!

I'd rather buy from an Apple store. Feels more right :D

15. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Hmmm. Both of my local Sam's said they will have them Friday, but will only sell the WiFi version (as they do with the iPad2). That page is a little misleading, by advertising 4G.

If you plan on trying Sam's keep that is mind.

16. Grease2310 macrumors member

Wal-Mart store managers are a notoriously bad source of information. If you had asked him a day earlier he'd have touted the previous Wal-Mart company line of "street date for ALL RETAILERS is March 16th at 5pm" which their internal wire systems told them. Presently that bulletin is missing from their wire, and has yet to be replaced with one saying 8am so they assume it is just a street date now and not a set time.

17. elvineet macrumors member

When you buy from Walmart, you might see something like this in the parking lot to buy your accessories from :D

18. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Actually all of my local Sams Club's currently sale the iPad 2 + 3G and WiFi only version. I called this morning and they said they should be carrying the 4G model but to call tomorrow morning just to make sure.

19. quinettaw02 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]That sounds like a great idea that some might not think about.

20. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Nice man. I may swing by my local one at 7am (the early access thing).

21. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Same thing i'll be doing but what I'm wondering is if they will be selling it at 7am also or if we will have to wait till 10.

22. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Every single Walmart that I have called said they will be ready to sell at midnight. What the hell is going on?

23. IpadMania macrumors regular

24. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

At least two UK retailers have announced they are selling new iPads from midnight (well 00:01 actually), so why shouldn't Walmart if they want to?

25. IpadMania macrumors regular

No reason they wont. Just need definitive confirmation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.