Walmart Streaming Movie Service VUDU Coming to Apple TV on August 22

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Walmart's streaming movie service VUDU will be available on Apple TV starting on Tuesday, August 22, following the official launch of the new VUDU app, reports Variety.

With the launch of a dedicated Apple TV app, VUDU users will no longer need to AirPlay content from an iOS device in order to watch VUDU content on the Apple TV.

[​IMG]

VUDU first confirmed work on an app for the fourth-generation Apple TV in March, so the app has been in development for some time. Prior to the announcement of an Apple TV app, a VUDU engineer said the company had not been able to develop an app because of Apple's policies preventing third party services from selling movies within their apps.

The current VUDU iOS app adapts to those restrictions by allowing users to download movies and TV shows that have been previously purchased on the VUDU website, and the Apple TV app presumably works in the same way.

VUDU allows customers to rent and purchase a wide range of movies and television shows, including new releases, and it offers services like a disc to digital conversion, digital copies of Blu-rays and DVDs purchased within stores, and free ad-supported movies. VUDU is already available on a range of other platforms, like Roku, Chromecast, consoles, and more.

Article Link: Walmart Streaming Movie Service VUDU Coming to Apple TV on August 22

2. Squirrel macrumors newbie

I'm still waiting for a VUDU app on my Amazon Fire TV. Once that happens, my movie streaming nirvana will be complete!

3. SupaDav03 macrumors member

This is great, especially because some movie studios only offer UV copies with their 4K blurays. Now I can at least access all the content right from my Apple TV

4. H3LL5P4WN, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I never thought I'd be happy for Walmart news, but here we are!

Well crud. All the movies that I had via Cinema Now, and supposedly linked to UltraViolet, aren't showing up in VuDu. I am considerably less thrilled now. Thanks Bestbuy.

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

All praise be to god!!!

Finally I don't need to turn on the PS4 to stream purchased movies because I'm not supporting iTunes movies

6. Cyber86 macrumors newbie

If only this would integrate with the TV app... *wishful thinking*

7. MH01 Suspended

MH01

8. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Which ones have digital copies only with 4k blu-rays?

9. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Why aren't you supporting iTunes movies?

10. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Yes. For many years now.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Lately it seems like any movie that isn't a Marvel movie, has done away with itunes copies, and only has UV copies.

12. b11051973 macrumors 6502

I switched preference for digital copies of movies from Apple to UV about 18 months ago. I use VUDU to watch those UV movies. To do that, I added a Roku to my system and rarely turn my Apple TV on. We'll have to see how the VUDU app works on the Apple TV. If it is awesome, I might ditch the Roku. :)

Next question is if a 4K Apple TV comes out, will VUDU have its UHD movies on it? Will the 4K Apple TV support Dolby Vision?

13. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Another reason I only buy my movies on iTunes anymore.

14. dgeviper macrumors newbie

dgeviper

15. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Was the solution really that hard to figure out? It seems simple enough to me.

16. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Most studios prefer Vudu over iTunes.

I think Universal is the only one right now then let's you redeem for both (and disney).

Fox is either.
    WB is only UV

17. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Apple does not prevent 3rd party services from selling content within their app. There are other streaming apps that sell content within their apps right now. Apple takes a cut, which is NOT the same as PREVENTING.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2017 ---
    They don’t prefer. It’s because those studios are part of the UV consortium which competes with Disney/Marvel

The only thing that sucks about this is the 3rd party market for UV codes will now see even higher prices. As those within the Apple ecosystem can watch UV movies without airplay.

18. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

they just won't let you pay for movies from within the app, but will likely kick off existing purchased or rented content.

this vudu app will make tmobile's weekly free rental from vudu much easier to watch.

19. acarney macrumors 6502

I assume this will only be for the latest fourth gen AppleTV devices? I would love if Apple pushed this app out to older devices too... but I've heard zero mention for that...

20. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Yea, I figured as much, but the quoted engineer made it seem like this was a huge obstacle to overcome.

This goes for Amazon too, if they didn't like Apple taking a cut of their money, then just provide an app that has purchased/free content.

It seems simple enough.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2017 ---
    I doubt that they will, but there is always a chance of it.

According the Mac Rumors' live stream coverage of the WWDC:
    I am not sure if this was an accurate quote though. Or it may have meant ATV4 and ATV5. But, it could possibly mean the ATV3 too.

Interestingly enough, the ATV3's version of Hulu was updated with the new Profiles feature months before the ATV4 was updated with Profiles and the horrible UI. So the ATV3 is still being update.

21. garylapointe, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

I'm really hoping this supports the UP NEXT feature of the TV app.

Considering I can convert many of my Blu-Rays to HD digital for $2 a disc (and old DVDs to HD for $5, or keep them as SD for $2). It's pretty awesome! You scan the barcodes at home with the app. It makes them ultraviolet too.
    https://www.vudu.com/in_mobile_disc_to_digital.html

22. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Thanks!

This is interesting, and the first I have heard about this. I was thinking of finding another solution for all my DVD collection. Right now, I have been ripping/encoding them, then using iTunes to store and organize them.

iTunes isn't always friendly with external drives, and there is not a good way to search for stuff using the ATV. The ATV4 UI sucks for stuff stored on the family sharing, especially with the Siri remote.

I also wanted something that my son could access when he was not at home.

I was looking into PLEX, but maybe VUDU might be a solution.

23. iJandro macrumors regular

iJandro

Subscription also includes an Apple Remote covered in Potato Chip oil!

24. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

And I should be clear they don't have everything for that upgrade path. But for $2, I'll use them for what they have!

I even paid $5 to convert a few from DVD to Blu-Ray. It's a pretty easy upgrade path.

I'm not sure if I've done anything from the last two years, but most of my collection is older stuff that I picked up cheap with deals on-line or Black Friday sales. I spend more on the classics than the new releases.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

How do you get that? I don't on tm tuesdays anymore.