MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walmart's streaming movie service VUDU will be available on Apple TV starting on Tuesday, August 22, following the official launch of the new VUDU app, reports Variety.

With the launch of a dedicated Apple TV app, VUDU users will no longer need to AirPlay content from an iOS device in order to watch VUDU content on the Apple TV.

vudo-on-apple-tv-800x457.jpg

VUDU first confirmed work on an app for the fourth-generation Apple TV in March, so the app has been in development for some time. Prior to the announcement of an Apple TV app, a VUDU engineer said the company had not been able to develop an app because of Apple's policies preventing third party services from selling movies within their apps.

The current VUDU iOS app adapts to those restrictions by allowing users to download movies and TV shows that have been previously purchased on the VUDU website, and the Apple TV app presumably works in the same way.

VUDU allows customers to rent and purchase a wide range of movies and television shows, including new releases, and it offers services like a disc to digital conversion, digital copies of Blu-rays and DVDs purchased within stores, and free ad-supported movies. VUDU is already available on a range of other platforms, like Roku, Chromecast, consoles, and more.

Article Link: Walmart Streaming Movie Service VUDU Coming to Apple TV on August 22

Reactions: alfonsog

Squirrel

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2001
I'm still waiting for a VUDU app on my Amazon Fire TV. Once that happens, my movie streaming nirvana will be complete!

Comment

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I never thought I'd be happy for Walmart news, but here we are!

Well crud. All the movies that I had via Cinema Now, and supposedly linked to UltraViolet, aren't showing up in VuDu. I am considerably less thrilled now. Thanks Bestbuy.

Last edited:
Comment

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I switched preference for digital copies of movies from Apple to UV about 18 months ago. I use VUDU to watch those UV movies. To do that, I added a Roku to my system and rarely turn my Apple TV on. We'll have to see how the VUDU app works on the Apple TV. If it is awesome, I might ditch the Roku. :)

Next question is if a 4K Apple TV comes out, will VUDU have its UHD movies on it? Will the 4K Apple TV support Dolby Vision?

Reactions: reallynotnick
Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
a VUDU engineer said the company had not been able to develop an app because of Apple's policies preventing third party services from selling movies within their apps.
The current VUDU iOS app adapts to those restrictions by allowing users to download movies and TV shows that have been previously purchased on the VUDU website, and the Apple TV app presumably works in the same way.
Was the solution really that hard to figure out? It seems simple enough to me.

Comment

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Lately it seems like any movie that isn't a Marvel movie, has done away with itunes copies, and only has UV copies.

Most studios prefer Vudu over iTunes.

I think Universal is the only one right now then let's you redeem for both (and disney).

Fox is either.
WB is only UV

Reactions: tennisproha
Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
....a VUDU engineer said the company had not been able to develop an app because of Apple's policies preventing third party services from selling movies within their apps.

Apple does not prevent 3rd party services from selling content within their app. There are other streaming apps that sell content within their apps right now. Apple takes a cut, which is NOT the same as PREVENTING.
[doublepost=1502827371][/doublepost]
Most studios prefer Vudu over iTunes.

I think Universal is the only one right now then let's you redeem for both (and disney).

Fox is either.
WB is only UV

They don’t prefer. It’s because those studios are part of the UV consortium which competes with Disney/Marvel

The only thing that sucks about this is the 3rd party market for UV codes will now see even higher prices. As those within the Apple ecosystem can watch UV movies without airplay.

Comment

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I assume this will only be for the latest fourth gen AppleTV devices? I would love if Apple pushed this app out to older devices too... but I've heard zero mention for that...

Reactions: Yvan256
Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
they just won't let you pay for movies from within the app, but will likely kick off existing purchased or rented content.

this vudu app will make tmobile's weekly free rental from vudu much easier to watch.
Yea, I figured as much, but the quoted engineer made it seem like this was a huge obstacle to overcome.

This goes for Amazon too, if they didn't like Apple taking a cut of their money, then just provide an app that has purchased/free content.

It seems simple enough.
[doublepost=1502828830][/doublepost]
I assume this will only be for the latest fourth gen AppleTV devices? I would love if Apple pushed this app out to older devices too... but I've heard zero mention for that...
I doubt that they will, but there is always a chance of it.

According the Mac Rumors' live stream coverage of the WWDC:
10:16 am: Cook: Amazon Prime Video is coming to the TV app and all Apple TVs later this year.

I am not sure if this was an accurate quote though. Or it may have meant ATV4 and ATV5. But, it could possibly mean the ATV3 too.

Interestingly enough, the ATV3's version of Hulu was updated with the new Profiles feature months before the ATV4 was updated with Profiles and the horrible UI. So the ATV3 is still being update.

Comment

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I'm really hoping this supports the UP NEXT feature of the TV app.

Considering I can convert many of my Blu-Rays to HD digital for $2 a disc (and old DVDs to HD for $5, or keep them as SD for $2). It's pretty awesome! You scan the barcodes at home with the app. It makes them ultraviolet too.
https://www.vudu.com/in_mobile_disc_to_digital.html

Last edited:
Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
I'm really hoping this supports the UP NEXT feature of the TV app.

Considering I can convert my Blu-Rays to HD digital for $2 a disc (and old DVDs to HD for $5, or keep them as SD for $2). It's pretty awesome! You scan the barcodes at home with the app. It makes them ultraviolet too.
https://www.vudu.com/in_mobile_disc_to_digital.html
Thanks!

This is interesting, and the first I have heard about this. I was thinking of finding another solution for all my DVD collection. Right now, I have been ripping/encoding them, then using iTunes to store and organize them.

iTunes isn't always friendly with external drives, and there is not a good way to search for stuff using the ATV. The ATV4 UI sucks for stuff stored on the family sharing, especially with the Siri remote.

I also wanted something that my son could access when he was not at home.

I was looking into PLEX, but maybe VUDU might be a solution.

Comment

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
This is interesting, and the first I have heard about this. I was thinking of finding another solution for all my DVD collection. Right now, I have been ripping/encoding them, then using iTunes to store and organize them.

And I should be clear they don't have everything for that upgrade path. But for $2, I'll use them for what they have!

I even paid $5 to convert a few from DVD to Blu-Ray. It's a pretty easy upgrade path.

I'm not sure if I've done anything from the last two years, but most of my collection is older stuff that I picked up cheap with deals on-line or Black Friday sales. I spend more on the classics than the new releases.

Comment

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
they just won't let you pay for movies from within the app, but will likely kick off existing purchased or rented content.

this vudu app will make tmobile's weekly free rental from vudu much easier to watch.
How do you get that? I don't on tm tuesdays anymore.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.