Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
looks like the iphone 5 is not selling well, poor apple. GS4 and the htc one have really affected the sales

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Well it looks like Apple's run of high priced, fat margined products is waning. Good news all around.

Sooner or later people wake up to the fact that although Apple makes good products, perhaps they're not "Magical & Revolutionary" after all.

As the "Steve Jobs Effect" wears off, reality sets in.

----------

Did you seriously think people used the literal meaning of the word magical to describe their products or something? And you must be living in another world if you don't think several of these products have revolutionized markets significantly (more than many of their competitors for sure).

Or what, do you really think Samsung's new toy is really "the next big thing"?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Wow. Steve fought long and hard to make Apple stores perfect, to display his creations in a way that sets them apart.

Now they are in Walmart bargain bin. WTF??

Until Apple has stores throughout Flyover, America, Walmart will remain the only game in town for many folks.

----------

This is definitely the case. Wal Mart only carries the 16gb model.

I can't imagine how anybody can get by with 16Gb these days, even 32 seems a bit claustrophobic.

----------

I traded in my 3gs to ATT for $100 - act fee of $36 and up graded to a 4 and got paid $64 to do it.

If one can get by with a bit slower device, a bit weaker camera (5Mp, no panorama), no Siri, no mirroring to an Apple TV, then a 4 might be adequate, but I would recommend a 4s if one can afford the extra cost, or to wait a couple months until the price of the 4s falls to today's 4 range. And for God's sake try to get a 32 Gb memory.

----------

Although Walmart won't stock anywhere near levels that would last 2 months, they are likely to have a stock commitment with Apple.

Say the rumours for 2 new phones Flagship and a cheaper version are true then the iPhone 4S and 5 will be discontinued. Everyone including Apple themselves will be wanting rid of what they are committed to with manufacturers, part suppliers etc. This has been less of a problem in the past but this launch it will be different.

My guess is Walmart committed to move a certain number of units in order to get a certain purchase price rebate from apple. If they miss the commitment, their rebate will be reduced. I also expect Walmart has a counter commitment from apple to reduce wholesale price according to market conditions.

----------

looks like the iphone 5 is not selling well, poor apple. GS4 and the htc one have really affected the sales

Is this true or just troll bait?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Although Walmart won't stock anywhere near levels that would last 2 months, they are likely to have a stock commitment with Apple.

Say the rumours for 2 new phones Flagship and a cheaper version are true then the iPhone 4S and 5 will be discontinued. Everyone including Apple themselves will be wanting rid of what they are committed to with manufacturers, part suppliers etc. This has been less of a problem in the past but this launch it will be different.

I don't think they'd get rid of the iPhone 5. Isn't expected starting price line up $199 iPhone 5S, $99 iPhone 5, $0 iPhone (cheaper version)?

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
And in Japan, the iPhone 5 is still free, as it has been since the day of launch. Oh and they give you $100 (10,000 yen) cashback as well. So basically it's minus $100.

Amazes me how America seems to put up with this nonsense.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
AT&T has already beat this deal with the $99 + free activation For the IPhone 5. 16gb
There must be plenty of inventory around and a new model coming in a couple of months
Activation is worth $36 so iin reality the price is
$64

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
5S coming sooner

This is an interesting take on things. It would explain the departure from Apple's typical hold on MAP.

However, I am skeptical that they would jettison the prior products, due to worldwide supply chain issues. No way they could ramp a whole new line and ditch everything in production and not destroy their margins. We also would be seeing a lot more parts leaks.

On the other hand, I just don't see how Apple can tolerate the flagship iPhone 5 selling for $129 for the whole summer. Apple is definitely participating with Wal-Mart and BestBuy. I would guess this really means the 5S is coming sooner than expected. Special event in mid July, shipping by July 31. Any more than 3-4 weeks of bargain prices on the iPhone 5 just seems like marketing suicide.

This all makes me think you will be able to get an iPhone 5S running iOS 6. (Some people are going to really like that, and buying the 5 on sale or waiting for the 5S will be even more nerve-wracking, I guess)

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
thanks but no thanks, i'll wait for the iphone 5s, but i'd say that this is a great move by apple, this would further affect the s4's dying sales.

Let's not get it twisted. S4 sales are dying because there are better Android choices in 2013. Not because the iPhone is selling like hotcakes. Do we really believe a iPhone 5s is going to out sale the 5? Expect this price for the 5s by March 2014.
People forget that Apple has to battle Android; not just Samsung.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I would guess this really means the 5S is coming sooner than expected. Special event in mid July, shipping by July 31.
I doubt that. iOS7 is unlikely to be ready for final release by then and new hardware does not make sense before the OS update. I would not expect 5S before Labor Day.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
Let's not get it twisted. S4 sales are dying because there are better Android choices in 2013. Not because the iPhone is selling like hotcakes. Do we really believe a iPhone 5s is going to out sale the 5? Expect this price for the 5s by March 2014.
People forget that Apple has to battle Android; not just Samsung.

Will the iPhone 5s outsell the iPhone 5?

Yes.

Here is why - look at the install base from the iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. It made a huge jump from 4 to 4s.

There is a huge number of 4s owners that are JUST NOW becoming eligible for their upgrades at AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc, who are waiting for the 5s to be available. Most of the iPhone 5 owners were the ones coming off their iPhone 4 contract.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
It's interesting to see all the Apple approved retailers following each other discounting Apple's flagship iPhone 5. I've never seen the discount window on the high end iPhone like it is right now. The big question is this. How much of an upgrade will the 5S be over the 5? If its just a processor and camera bump, the 5 for a little over 100 bucks new is a smoking deal for us 4S- ers who are ready to upgrade.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Will the iPhone 5s outsell the iPhone 5?

Yes.

Here is why - look at the install base from the iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. It made a huge jump from 4 to 4s.

There is a huge number of 4s owners that are JUST NOW becoming eligible for their upgrades at AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc, who are waiting for the 5s to be available. Most of the iPhone 5 owners were the ones coming off their iPhone 4 contract.

I think someone forgot that the iphone 4 and iphone 4s out sale the more expensive iphone 5. There are plenty of people that just want a cheap iphone. Hence the reason for these cheap iphone rumors. It's a mistake for Apple to cater to these people.
And can someone explain why Apple builds all these Apple stores to only get undercut by Walmart and BestBuy? It's not like Apple sales their laptops and desktops in huge quantity. Even microcenter has the ipad mini for $299.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I think someone forgot that the iphone 4 and iphone 4s out sale the more expensive iphone 5. There are plenty of people that just want a cheap iphone. Hence the reason for these cheap iphone rumors. It's a mistake for Apple to cater to these people.

Apple sold a total of 37 million iPhones last quarter.

Do you know that for a fact that the older iPhone 4 and 4S are outselling the iPhone 5?

And can someone explain why Apple builds all these Apple stores to only get undercut by Walmart and BestBuy? It's not like Apple sales their laptops and desktops in huge quantity. Even microcenter has the ipad mini for $299.

Can you take your Mac to Wal-Mart to get fixed? Is there anyone at Wal-Mart to talk to if you have questions?

I think Best Buy has a guy there part time... but it's not the same level of service.

And there's your answer to why Apple has their own stores... service.

And in case you've forgotten... Apple Stores have the highest revenue per square foot. So this supposed "undercutting" by Wal-Mart isn't affecting that.

KRD

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
Iphone

Does this new discount scheme for iphone 5 hold good only for 16gb models or is it applicable to other models also?
Also, what about the factory unlcoked phones? Are they available on discount too?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Apple sold a total of 37 million iPhones last quarter.

Do you know that for a fact that the older iPhone 4 and 4S are outselling the iPhone 5?

Can you take your Mac to Wal-Mart to get fixed? Is there anyone at Wal-Mart to talk to if you have questions?

I think Best Buy has a guy there part time... but it's not the same level of service.

And there's your answer to why Apple has their own stores... service.

And in case you've forgotten... Apple Stores have the highest revenue per square foot. So this supposed "undercutting" by Wal-Mart isn't affecting that.

1. Let's look at the facts. Apple would have promoted left and right that the iPhone 5 outsold the iPhone 4s; wouldn't you. Instead they have to combine all the sales to make it look decent. The article below was from Dec 2012. The 4S was outselling the iPhone 5 6 months ago while in it's prime. Show me one article that claims that the iPhone 5 outsold the previous gen.

http://bgr.com/2012/12/14/iphone-5-sales-iphone-4s/

2. So your telling me that Apple stores are now glorified repair and exchange centers? Basically your saying Apple products are not reliable and/or people are too dumb to operate Apple gear.

It is the same blindness that has Apple stocks down and why Tim Cook got his deal re-evaluated. Too many people still kissing Apple's feet. Next year January is going to be worst for the iPhone.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
1. Let's look at the facts. Apple would have promoted left and right that the iPhone 5 outsold the iPhone 4s; wouldn't you. Instead they have to combine all the sales to make it look decent. The article below was from Dec 2012. The 4S was outselling the iPhone 5 6 months ago while in it's prime. Show me one article that claims that the iPhone 5 outsold the previous gen.

http://bgr.com/2012/12/14/iphone-5-sales-iphone-4s/

2. So your telling me that Apple stores are now glorified repair and exchange centers? Basically your saying Apple products are not reliable and/or people are too dumb to operate Apple gear.

It is the same blindness that has Apple stocks down and why Tim Cook got his deal re-evaluated. Too many people still kissing Apple's feet. Next year January is going to be worst for the iPhone.

That website you linked is not "fact." An analyst from UBS said he reduced his earnings estimate based upon "Chinese sources." Here are actual facts:

The iPhone 4 sold roughly 1.7 million in it's first weekend.

The iPhone 4s sold roughly 4.0 million in it's first weekend.

The iPhone 5 sold roughly 5.0 million in it's first weekend.

Considering all those 4s owners that have been locked into their contracts until now, and are becoming eligible for upgrade starting this summer, I would say the demand for the 5s will be huge.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.