Wan to upgrade from 4GB RAM to...?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sir Loin Steak, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

2. stephenophof macrumors newbie

Yes I think it will work in your iMac, but I'm not sure those DDR3 memory kits will work in your iMac from 2009. And also, upgrading the RAM isn't giving me better speed on my MacBook Pro.

The upgrade to a SSD made my MBP much faster, the RAM upgrade did not really help.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Depends on WHY it's running slower. As a tech guy, RAM used to ALWAYS be my go-to upgrade to make a computer faster. Not as much now, though, since almost any machine has at least 4GB - and 4GB is more than enough for most average users, Windows or Mac (but Mac OS does tend to be a bit more RAM hungry, JSYK).

Pull up Activity Monitor and check your memory usage. Particularly, keep tabs on the number of Page Outs; high number means you need more RAM. :D

4. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

The page ins are 28GB and the page outs are 4.5GB.

Is this high?

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

not so good.

you are 1 in 7 .

i am 1 in 1000

Attached Files:

6. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Got it.

I take it you can't 'delete' these pages outs or the process that cause them?

Anyway, I have ordered 2 x 4GB RAM and we'll see where that takes us.

Cheers... :)

7. philipma1957, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

the page out and swaps occur when you are short ram.

the computer uses your much slower hdd to move commands and run programs. your numbers show 28gb in and 4gb out this is past info. if you boot they go back to 0 but they are only a counter.

as to what makes you use so much ram think thomas edison. here is my thomas edison story. his home in the usa has original light bulbs that burn 12 hours a day for about 90 years they still work! We all know that selling a light bulb that lasts more then 50 years is not what made mr edison rich. selling light bulbs that last 1000 hours made him rich.

Most businesses do the same they design gear to be replaced upgraded etc. Snow leopard was better then lion when using ram. So if you run lion you need more ram if your machine is at max for ram you need a new machine.

All simple but pretty much true. on the other hand It is possible you are running something you do not need that pulls a lot of ram. look at your processes and see if you have a ram eater. Since you have 4gb of ram antything pulling .5gb or 500mb is suspect.

this ram is your type;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/memory-upgr...9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342632411&sr=1-9

better yet samsung

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-mem...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342632547&sr=1-4

you use ddr3 pc8500 1066ghz ram.

it gets confused with ddr3 pc10660 1333ghz ram.

people see the 1066ghz and confuse it with the pc10660 .

take a good look at the wiki for your computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based)

I owned one like it and it did like samsung better then any other ram.

8. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Don't mean to derail, but I checked my activity monitor and I have 75.79 GB of page ins and 3.7 MB of page outs. I have a total of 16 GB RAM. iStat menus 3 shows I have 9.9 GB free memory but activity monitor shows 3.3 GB free. Is that many page ins normal?

9. colinwil macrumors regular

Yes - that many page ins can be normal, depending on how often you reboot your iMac, and what software you run. Many programs (e.g. Aperture) use memory paging simply to load files. Run it, and watch the Page ins - you'll see what I mean. Other programs - e.g.. Logic 9 seem to load files the old fashioned way.

The only thing that indicates whether or not you have enough memory are Page Outs and Swap Used. Your Page Outs is very low (3.7Mb) - so you're fine :)

My iStat widget shows the same values as activity monitor. I'm not familiar with how iStat Menus 3 works. Maybe it lumps together Free and Inactive memory to get it's Free Memory value. That would certainly make sense.

10. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Yeah I almost never reboot lately. 60 days uptime right now. Thanks for your input.

11. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Well I got my Corsair RAM in and these are the page ins and outs now. No page outs at all. Why?

Attached Files:

12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Because you have enough RAM.

13. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

oops, yes, well, um, sorry about that - having a muppet moment there.

Thanks