want a All-IN-One Printer that is snow leopard compatible ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danyg, Dec 28, 2009.

1. danyg macrumors member

I'm almost giving up..

Can anyone suggest an AIO printer that is SL compatible (driver to scan from image catpure or preview app) ?
    has to print/scan (don't need fax)...and have ADF
    below US$ 500.00
    laser printing

NO HPs
    Brother's has bad reviews at amazon.com

I really don't know :-(

please help...

2. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I know you said no HP's but I have to swear by mine...

I have had the HP Laserjet 3390 for the past couple of years it hasn't given a moments hassle and works seamlessly with Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard it even worked on XP for a while and gave no hassles.

The Fax works great, it makes good copies, Laser is the way to go (Much cheaper in the long run and better quality prints if you only need B&W). We use it on our home network and access it over the WiFi and it has proved to be very stable.

So let this be a counter review to those bad reviews on Amazon

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never had a major issue with a Brother printer, and have owned them for the better part of 8 years now. I currently have the MFC-7840W (print/scan/fax/copy) that started working pretty much out of the box.

5. danyg thread starter macrumors member

6. danyg thread starter macrumors member

Hi Miles,

Can you scan from ImageCapture AND Preview app ?
    Does the ADF works well ?
    What software do you use to batch scan ?

Thanks for the help,
    Dany.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The one downside of the Brother is that it comes with its own software you need to install to scan things. While it's a minor inconvenience to install, it opens automatically when the "Scan" function is called from the printer. It may be that you can scan from ImageCapture and Preview, but I haven't looked into it. The included software is easy enough.

ADF works quite well; I've fed documents up to about 30 pages to copy and there were no paper jams or anything.

8. danyg thread starter macrumors member

Miles: Can you pleeeeeeease see if ImageCapture/Preview works with your Brother ?
    This printer has excelente reviews at amazon (127 reviews x 4 stars)...

Thank you very much for your help....

Dany

9. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

FWIW, I have an older Brother all-in-one (MFC-5460) and it scans into both Preview and ImageCapture without any problem.

This model has given me absolutely no problems at all. I also have a Brother Laser (HL-2040) and it's been solid as well.

Good luck.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'll try it tomorrow. I usually don't have it plugged in directly... so I guess you can't scan wirelessly.

11. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Okay had a look - I personally have had none of these problems... And I think you need to take some of these reviews with a pinch of salt - I mean to quote one of the reviews: "The manual paper feeder has no support to hold paper! you can only feed ONE piece of paper or envelope at a time" Um yeah its the manual sheet feeder?!? if you want to feed more than one sheet at a time use the Auto Document Feeder supplied (Duh) :eek:

Here's a page report for the last year... I think the errors a negligible, but why don't you tell me what you think:

Total pages printed: 3740
    Duplex pages printed: 51
    Pages mispicked in printer: 14
    Pages jammed in printer: 0
    PCL6 pages printed: 1758
    PS pages printed: 2008
    PCL pages printed: 27
    Flatbed pages scanned to copy: 244
    ADF pages scanned to copy: 225
    Monochrome pages printed from copy: 792
    ADF pages scanned to host: 1
    Flatbed pages scanned to host: 25
    ADF pages scanned to fax: 222
    Flatbed pages scanned to fax: 4
    Fax pages printed: 81
    Fax pages sent from PC: 0
    Fax pages received to PC: 0
    Total ADF pages scanned: 443
    Total flatbed pages scanned: 270
    Pages jammed in scanner: 2

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Same here. You have to remember people will write a bad review for every little thing and when most people have a great experience you're not going to hear it as often.
    I just got a Blu Ray player and looking at the reviews I wanted to laugh. I read everything from it being too loud, it won't with universal remotes, and other crap that it's probably the user issues. I have that model and not 1 issue yet and I think it's awesome.
    I've set up 4 HP all in ones and they were flawlessly, how about that for a review?

13. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

get the hp officejet wifi one, great printer, very fast, a best buy in cr reports, scanner included, and one of the cheapest in ink.

well its not laser, but I used to be the no. 1 fan, but these ink one printers are as fast and as good quality in output as any laser, and cheaper running costs too.

14. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

My HP C309A

Works well, plus wireless, plus scans.

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have the same model and I liked it so much, when I needed a stand alone machine for my office I got the same model... my home network has 2 macs, 3 winXP and one (soon to come) win7 machine on it and I realized I don't think I've ever tried to scan to my macs... they both have winXP/fusion on them so if OS X didn't work = I'd have a work around.

Brother does provide OS X drivers for this model also and under SL this model is on the compatible list for print/scan/fax capabilities.

16. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I would recommend getting a Laser Printer even for home use unless you plan to upgrade your printer every year - the savings on toner vs. ink alone will pay for the difference in cost in the first year and the laser printers tend to be more robust because they are designed for higher daily work flow.

17. stuarthatto macrumors regular

HP Laserjet M1120n has never let me down, is fully supported by SL and the scans are excellent quality both in B/W and Colour.

Best of all it was dirt cheap.

18. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

I can recommend the brother MFC-7840W as well. works perfectly fine. the scan function in SL is very nicely integrated into the printer window, and I do not need the brother software anymore. (which wasn't bad anyway)

my girlfriend has a huge, expensive color laser konica, and she is quite jealous.

oh, and if it tells you to change toner cartridge, dont worry: it will last much longer. put in the new toner when the prints get bad, not already when it tells you to.;)

19. itwerx macrumors newbie

3390 under Snow Leopard?!?

Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I would dearly love to know how you got a 3390 working properly under Snow Leopard!
    Prints fine but for scanning I've tried everything under the sun and best I can get is about three pages before it crashes. (Works fine under Windows of course. :/ ) Halp! :)

20. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm using the Canon MP960 and it works flawlessly in SL. Yes, you can acquire scans from Image Capture as well as Preview. Although you can still get the MP960 it is about 3 years old now.

I'd get the current iteration Canon MP990 if I was in the market. It looks great.

I do love Canon's products. :)

21. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Funny you should ask this because since installing Snow Leopard I hadn't tried the scanner function (I don't use it a lot). I had been using the built in Snow Leopard Driver for all my printing needs.

But getting it to scan was no problem. I removed the driver for the 3390 in System Preferences... Then I downloaded the latest mac driver for the 3390 a file called HP Laserjet 3390 Installer for Leopard.dmg After installing this I had no issues scanning over my home network (See screen shot). I am running Rosetta on my Snow Leopard system (I'm not sure if you are) but I had no issues what so ever.

Attached Files:

22. applebobber macrumors newbie

applebobber

Re: SaSaSushi's Canon mp960 w/ Snow Leopard success

Hey there SaSa -
    just about to upgrade from Tiger (yeah, I know, I'm in a time warp) but was concerned about my MP960 compatibility for scanning...The Apple compatibility website for Snow Leopard and printers cites that drivers are available for printing but not for scanning:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3669

Curious if you have had any holdups at all since you posted about this? It's a great printer but I would hate to have it not work with my late '07 MacBook Pro as they are both still in good working in order...

Any follow up would be greatly appreciated!

23. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i have a HP deskjet 2180 all in one printer and it works flawless since a couple years on all Mac's and even better on all operating systems , windows, linux and OSX

24. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Hey, Applebobber, I'm still using the same MP960 at 4 years and counting now and still scanning with no problems whatsoever. I use the Canon MP Navigator 3.0 app (not sure if there is a newer version. I haven't updated in a while) but Image Capture will scan just as effectively. You shouldn't have any problems at all. :D

Cheers.