Want a replacement MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silverbird0000, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro and it has been in and out of repairs at Apple since. I have AppleCare thank god. To start it had the hissing and popping sound issues that a lot of that model had. A month after buying it it had the speakers and sound shielding replaced. Then in 2009 it had to have the battery replaced 3 times since the computer was saying "service battery". Now it is currently at an Apple Store for repairs and it has been there for 12 days. It is having the video card replaced (defective nvidia card that this model was prone to) because of glitchy graphics and the screen not waking from sleep, same sound issues as first repair, and a dead trackpad. I have owned Apple computers and products since 2001 and never had a problem. This MBP has been a pain. To top it off I'm in school and NEED my computer. I've been without it for 12 days, during finals. I've been using my iPad, and while it gets me by, it's difficult to write long papers on. How should I go about getting a permenant replacement MBP? My AppleCare is up in April and I don't want to be worrying about an out of warranty MBP.

2. preppy macrumors member

preppy

Politely explain your situation to a Manager. Provide all documentation of services and see what they say.

3. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called AppleCare after the store told me my computer was still not ready after 11 days. I was transferred to a higher up and told that once I get my MBP back, give him a call and he will see if I'm eligible for a replacement. Of course the computer will be functioning after the repair. But I don't want these problems to continue after my warranty is up. Has anyone reading this been given a replacement, and what did you say to Apple to achieve this?

4. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

There's no official Apple replacement policy, so the best you can do is call him back and explain your situation and how you need to have a reliable computer and so far, this has anything but. Be nice but persistent and you may be able to sway him your way. 11 days is along time to be out of a macbook pro.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Last Saturday I sent my MBP for repair for the first time. I got it back yesterday, except it had more problems than before. I kind, but firmly explained to the manager that I couldn't come back for another repair because the store was too far and it would be impossible to do so. He asked me "Well, what do you wanna do?" and I'm like "Can you swap my hard drive with another machine?" and then he was like "I don't see how the hard drive relates to the screen issue" ........ then my mom burst in (out of frustration) "Can we just return it?" (at this point, the manager knew that we were going to sign the release form for the computer) and he finally said yes. In the end, he pulled open a new MBP and gave it to me.

Take what you can from that ^^ lol

6. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Follow up:

After alot of back and forth with Apple senior tech support and customer relations, they determined that my 2008 MBP was defective and they shipped me a brand new 2010 15" MBP! There was a shipping mistake and I received a 13", but Apple told me to refuse shipment and then they shipped me the correct 15" model. I am ecstatic and so happy I purchased AppleCare. It just paid for itself 10 times over! I just have to ship them back my old MBP within 30 days or be charged for the new one. Needless to say I will be shipping it back tomorrow!

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nice! When you say "Apple senior tech support" are you talking about in the store or on the phone? Either way, now enjoy your new laptop! Oohhh, you get to update your signature too!

8. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple senior tech support on the phone. After talking to the tier one tech support I was transferred to senior tech support. After a week of back and forth phone tag and troubleshooting he decided the sound board is defective in my old MBP. Then he called customer relations and they told him no to a replacement. I then called customer relations and the agreed to a replacement MBP! I couldn't wait to get home today just so I could set it up and transfer my info!

9. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

OMFG, They just gave you a new one and you didnt have to pay to upgrade? Thats awesome!

I am about to get a 17" MBP. I have been debating on the need for apple care. I'm thinking its a good idea now.

10. Silverbird0000, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010

Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep! Brand new in box mid 2010 in exchange for my early 2008 MBP! That is why I love AppleCare and always purchase it before my one year warranty is up. It is totally worth it.

11. sjinsjca, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010

sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It is. My story is similar to what's been posted.

Keep in mind you can purchase anytime within a year.

12. auero macrumors 65816

The rep I dealt with gave me his person line incase anything else happens.

Long story short, 3 repairs = brand new machine.

Was it awesome to get a new machine? Yes. Worth it? No. I spent a month on repairs and without a machine.

13. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was amazing to get a new machine! I'm so happy with Apple. They have kept a long term user happy. Equalling up all repairs I was probably without a computer for a month. It sucked. This new unibody feels more solid. I hope it doesn't have the problems my 2008 MBP did.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Although they do want to try to fix the same problem more than once and the wait time does result in extended downtime, they take good care of their customers and if you have a problem, they will make sure they correct it (it only makes sense to try to fix a problem before replacing the entire machine). I had a major issue and they went above and beyond what would be normal warranty procedure and customer service, and that is what sets Apple apart from other companies that also make fantastic computers.

BE SURE YOU GET APPLECARE!!!!