Want REAL alternative to cable

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Feb 20, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

So I'm stuck with Century Link here in my apartment since that's who the building is wired for, and quite frankly - I hate them. Everything about them.

I have my internet through Century link and that is bundled with DirecTV (I pay Century Link for both on the same bill).

I'm now paying $115 a month for CRAPPY 7 Mbps internet (second crappiest they have) and the crappiest TV package DirecTV offers. What a complete joke. Oh, and I'm halfway through a 2 year contract. Yuck.

I'm going to call them today and see what they can do because this is a rip off and they are throttling my internet too which is bogus.

If I can't work a resolution to get better service for less, what are my options?

*I need to keep internet service through them though*

I'm thinking these are a few of many:

1) Keep internet, get faster internet (maybe 20 megs?), dump the DirecTV altogether and pay the fee (not sure if I can drop half of the services in my contract though, might have to drop the whole shebang and start new). Get a rabbit ears antennae to get free TV channels.

2) Same as above, but add Hulu subscription?

3) Keep same internet, dump DirecTV, get Hulu and/or rabbit ears but probably get throttled (hell they'll probably throttle me on 50 meg internet)

I really don't care about TV to be honest but it would be nice to have. A few shows are good to watch and CNN is nice, but not necessary. I think Century Link is going to really ream me if I want just plain old internet without all that bundle garbage, when I signed up my god did they push home phone like it was 1984.

I don't know…I just need internet, and am looking for TV options/alternatives? I have an Apple TV but not sure what the best non-cable alternative is. The cable TV business model needs to die a rotten death.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If true, I think this suggests its own answer...

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

If everything except CNN you watch is available with an antenna, drop DirecTV and forget Hulu. You can just watch free network news or read.

I would definitely spend the savings on faster internet. 7 mbps sucks.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Well I talked to Century Link and they dropped $15 of the $25 increase for the next year. Not 100% happy, but I guess that will work for now…I've fought with them so much in my experience (took FIVE months to get the bill right when I started and CL and DirecTV kept pointing the finger at each other and telling me something different every time I called) that today I just didn't have the fight in me.

I suppose I'll stick this out, then next year at this time my contract will be up and I won't have to pay the ridiculous $240 it would cost today to break my contract, at which point I will drop the TV and get better internet, and hopefully come in closer to $50 a month.

Thanks guys.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Condolences, puma1552. I feel your pain. CL is the only provider in my area. Have to pay them about $80 a month for a landline and crappy DSL. My satellite TV is not bundled through CenturyLink. Cheaper not to.

Horrid service and horrible techs. That's what happens when there's no competition. :(

7. dagmaar75 macrumors member

Get yourself an AppleTV or a Roku 3, subscribe to Netflix and Hulu+. I don't have any TV service and it's been nice so far

8. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

We have two Apple TVs and Netflix. We pay approx. $70 after taxes, per month to Time Warner for 50mbps down and 5mbps up speed. Haven't had cable in over a year and we're happy. :)

9. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I pay $220 a month for cable, 2 premiums ($20), internet ($40), security ($20) system, and phone ($15). That's about $125 a month for channels, which is an expanded plan. There must be a less expensive alternative.

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

if you live in a private home then get direct TV or dish network and go back and forth between satellite and cable using the new customer discounts