Want to buy an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneManiac25, May 5, 2010.

1. iPhoneManiac25 macrumors newbie

Originally I wanted to get a phone from Verizon but ultimately decided to get an iPhone. Paying for the phone and the bill is no problem but I heard at&t does a credit score check and that you can only pay buy credit card. The problem is that I have neither will I still be able to get an iPhone?

2. pablo7 macrumors 6502

I paid cash when i got my 3g, and my credit score was not the best:apple:

3. tac22 macrumors 6502

You have to have a credit card for the monthly bill, idk about credit score but I'm sure if would be fine unless you actualy had one that totally sucked.

4. iPhoneManiac25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thank you for the answer :). I have never needed a credit card before because anything I have ever bought has always been with cash. As for credit I have never tried getting it.

If I am successful at getting the phone will paying for my bill on time will that count as credit?

Again thank you for the answer.

5. tac22 macrumors 6502

If you don't have a any credit yet, it's start neural, you wouldn't be able to go to a bank and get a huge loan most likely but paying for a phone bill will deffinetly be acceptable.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If your credit score isn't the best, you may be asked for a security deposit which will be given back to you at the end of a successful paid year.

7. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

yes

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, AT&T will not report your monthly payments to a credit bureau. They will only report if you fail to pay and get sent to collections.

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

This is true...

One caveat is that if you continually pay your monthly bill on time, every time, with AT&T - they will only worry about your payment history for any and all future purchases/contracts with AT&T.

10. pablo7 macrumors 6502

And you don't need a credit card to pay your bill every month just walk into a AT&T corporate store and plunk down your greenbacks in front of a cashier:apple:

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'm not sure how old you are but if you are old enough, it wouldn't hurt to start building up some credit. Some day you will need some good credit and having no credit will hurt you. Try to sign up for a credit card. It may not be a good one and it may have a high interest rate, but as long as you pay it off every month on time it doesn't matter. If your worried about all the horror stories of people going crazy with it and going into debt, then don't bring it around with you and only use it for your AT&T bill. Once a month you pay off your credit card balance of $80-100 (whatever your bill is) and you will gradually start building credit. I guess this would depend on the person and their ability to not get carried away but this is what I would do.

To put it into perspective, I'm now 25 and for the past 3 years I've made almost every single purchase on my credit card. I've learned to know how much I'm spending and to know my limits and I've always paid off my bill in full every month, so I've paid no interest. I now have a very high credit score and have almost 100,000 miles (~$1,000) built up on my credit card which can almost pay for a full free vacation for myself. I'm not recommending that you do this now, but I'm saying you should start off small and learn how to manage your money first and then maybe someday use your credit card more often.