Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Ok,

Today I purchased a Macbook air 11" from the apple store, anyway I have unsealed it tonight and its not really for me so I would like to take it back for a refund, I threw away the piece of paper between the screen and keyboard and i also threw away the cellophane on the white box, tonight I was looking on my receipt and they spelt my name wrong they spelt it Godie, do you think I will still be able to get a refund? also are there any restocking fees?

also i bought a incase hard case for it, will I be able to take this back as well?

thanks

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand

Only in Hong Kong and China. :)

You should find that in Australia, NZ, North America, Europe and the UK; that Apple has a 14 day returns policy.
I would suspect that there may be a slight restocking fee, but that would depend on the condition of the goods.
Usually this would be small enough to cover sending it back as a refurbished model.

In future, you should try it in store before purchasing it, as if it was a third party retail store, they would have to discount an otherwise brand new computer and make a loss on the resale just because you got to unbox it.
As I have worked at a third party retail store selling apple computers and iPads, that was even more of a profit killer than people returning airport expresses and time capsules because they could not get them to work with the free modems from their ISP, although of course there was no problem with the apple devices.

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
is there a restocking fee in the uk and does anyone know how much that is, also can i just have serious answers please

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
On a side note: you are returning one of the best laptops every made by Apple (IMHO), same size as the much more expensive retina Macbook, great battery life... so what told you it is not for you after a couple of minutes at home compared to when you tried it in store?

Last edited:

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
On a side note: you are returning one of the best laptops every made by Apple (IMHO), same size as the much more expensive retina Macbook, great battery life... so what told you it is not for you after a couple of minutes at home compared to when you tried it in store?

tbh i need the money, it is a nice laptop but id rather get my money and pay off part of a loan I owe

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
tbh i need the money, it is a nice laptop but id rather get my money and pay off part of a loan I owe

Ah the good old British financial planning... will never understand this. Either you can afford it and buy a laptop or you don't... but this is now going really off topic.

As a consumer I do find it annoying though, because this machine will now go the refurbished way which costs money which at the end of the day, all other Apple buyers pay for.

Reactions: PhiLLoW

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Ah the good old British financial planning... will never understand this. Either you can afford it and buy a laptop or you don't... but this is now going really off topic.

As a consumer I do find it annoying though, because this machine will now go the refurbished way which costs money which at the end of the day, all other Apple buyers pay for.

do you think ill have to pay a restocking fee?

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
I rang up apple and they said as I have unsealed it I cant get a refund, does this sound right to you?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
There is no legal obligation in the UK to accept returns on non-faulty items. However, stores do have to honour their published returns policy and Apple's (here: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_uk.html ) states they will accept returns for up to 14 days for exchange or refund if all the accessories and packaging are present and doesn't mention a restocking fee.

The only way I can see you having a problem is if they are super-picky about the packaging bits you've thrown away, but if they do refuse on that basis, there's probably not much you can do about it

Reactions: Jodie1987

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
There is no legal obligation in the UK to accept returns on non-faulty items. However, stores do have to honour their published returns policy and Apple's (here: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_uk.html ) states they will accept returns for up to 14 days for exchange or refund if all the accessories and packaging are present and doesn't mention a restocking fee.

The only way I can see you having a problem is if they are super-picky about the packaging bits you've thrown away, but if they do refuse on that basis, there's probably not much you can do about it
I got the packaging I threw away out of the bin, the keyboard paper is a little torn, do you think this will make a difference

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Really appreciate your helpful replies to my post, thanks!

Instead of driving yourself crazy take it back and find out where you stand. It will be either yea or nay. I doubt a negative result. With regard to the name problem just prove it was purchased with your CC.

Reactions: PhiLLoW

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
A little name misspelling is no big deal, as long as you can prove you are the rightful owner, credit card, receipts blah-blah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.