Want to send a mess text message to 10 or more contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by galaxy121, Sep 30, 2009.

1. galaxy121 macrumors member

I just got my new iPhone 3gs and I want to send a mass txt messages to all my contacts to update them on my new phone number but I realize that I cant send a mass text message to more than 10 contacts ... is this an issue with everyone else ?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Other than this particular time, when would you really ever need to send a text message to more than 10 people at once? You'll just have to message them in groups for now.

3. galaxy121 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, but on my iphone 2g, there is no limit at all to how many contacts I can text and what do you mean text them in groups ?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yeap everyone has the same problem you can only send to 10 at a time.

You will have to do the first 10, then send it to the next 10 etc etc.

Have you thought about sending them all an email instead if thats feasible?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I wouldn't know about the text messaging limit since I don't text. By groups, I mean that you'll have to select the first 10 people and message them. Then, select the next 10 people and so on.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I constantly have to text a group of 45+ guys. Some people do need this feature. Another good one that I brought up in the past would be to select contacts like emails, multiple in a list like to delete or move emails, then hit send to all.

7. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

why would you possibly need to 'constantly have to text 45+guys'?

8. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

Orgy... or is it just me?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Work groups. Maybe he is a manager in a large distribution hub and text is the fastest communication.

10. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I have discovered this problem a long time back. Assuming your getting the Group MMS title, the only way to do a mass text of 10 people or more is to turn OFF MMS. Go into settings > messages > and disable MMS, then you can mass text. However, i've never tried doing the mass text with the huge group, then turning back on mms to see if it works. Good luck.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Chair position in a fraternity.

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

So, xsecretfiles was right when he/she said orgy? :D

13. 55test55 macrumors 6502

agree, this is a huge annoyance for me. i really wish i wouldnt have to type a few letters or keep going back and forth between screens. it makes me miss people and takes more time.

14. intrepid00 macrumors 6502

You could write a 5 minute .NET app in C# that would very easily send TXT messages to 45+ users. Now if only you hadn't filled your fraternity with jocks.

PS NEEEERRRDDDSSSS!

15. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Ya. I have two friends that manage a service company with all girls. About 75-85 in all. They all go to contracted sites and check in via text to make sure staffing is 100% at all the locations.

When they need to send the girls(they both have iPhones because of my insistence) a company message or directive, it really is a pain in the ass on iPhone.

Worst part is, I managed to get one of the guys off of a BB Storm which let him do this, and it really is the ONLY thing he grumbles about with iPhone.

Apple, please make something happen positively in this regard.

The positive in this is Apple make CCP available. It helps...

16. matttye macrumors 601

Kinda off topic.. just wanted to point out how far the iPhone has come in this regard. When it first came out you could only send a text to one person at a time and it didn't have the option of copy/paste or forwarding a text. Now THAT was annoying :D

And the people on the Apple forums defended Apple's choice in this by saying "sending group texts is impersonal" :\

17. mpdrouin macrumors newbie

45 person orgy, NICE!

So what is the deal about this 10 text limit? Is this a 3.0.1 thing (or whatever the latest firmware is?)

Prior to the update, I could send a text message to like 100+ people. I tried to send out a mass text last night and I could only do it to 10 people....