Want to switch back. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bogie, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Bogie macrumors regular

I built a PC about a year ago and got a 24" Dell monitor to go with it. I realize now that I don't particularly need the PC and I miss having a Mac (I was a life long mac user before this). However, money is a bit tight at the moment and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get back to a Mac.

If I sold the computer and the monitor I would have roughly 1,400 plus another 3-500 of my own which would bring it up to 1,700-1,900. I have a small amount of income but I'm a college student so it's not very substantial and somewhat irregular.

I would LIKE a laptop, but I'm also somewhat against the Macbook since that was the only Mac computer I've every owned that I was severely dissatisfied with. That leaves me with a macbook pro or the new mystery laptop.

If I go the desktop route I could afford an iMac or I could get a mac mini and an ACD which I could eventually connect a future laptop purchase to.

I'm a writer (and a filmmaker, but not for the next five years so the power can wait) and I don't need the computer for more than basic writing, music, internet, pictures and such. That's why I'm a bit leery of the MBP because it's more power than I need, but I was so unhappy with the MB and I can't imagine buying another. The build quiality was very poor and I had to send it in three times in under a year for various issues. What do you think is the best and most economical route to go?

2. macguymike macrumors 6502

Why were you so dissatisfied with the MacBook?

If you don't need portability, I'd say the iMac would best suit your needs.

3. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Well I bought the macbook the day it was announced (so yeah, rev A...I know) and within 4 months the plastic had yellowed. I sent it in and got it back and the seal on the top wasn't nearly as tight as it used to be. In fact there was a visible gap that you could slide a toothpick into. What's more, I started having random shutdowns on account of something with thermal paste. I sent it in again. They fixed it, but then less than a month later, the trackpad became hugely unresponsive. Not completely, but enough that I couldn't right click with the double finger touch. Also the glossy screen started developing spots all over it and was looking horrible. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the Macbook. I know some of the issues were resolved, but I just can't get through the block in my mind that tells me it's a poorly designed computer. I'm even tempted to get a used 12" powerbook over the macbook.

4. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

you say you were a "life long mac user" then you state that macbook was your only mac computer you ever owned.So unless youre at the most around two years old I just wanna say WTF?
    Anyway back to your question I would reccomend just going for an imac or the freakin macbook you probably got yours when they were fairly new to the market and had significantly more problems than they do now, so just cuz the first one sucked doesnt mean the next one will.

5. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

I said it was the only one I ever owned THAT I WAS SEVERELY DISSATISFIED WITH. My first apple was a IIe.

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

You have a 24 Dell monitor, so you might consider just getting a mac mini, and maybe a used Powerbook for portability and writing on the go.

7. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

9. macguymike macrumors 6502

I've never understood this mentality. Someone buys something from a particular brand, has a bad experience, and then swears off that brand for life. In some cases I might understand but most of the time there's no reason other than knee-jerk reactionary response.

"Oh I hate Samsung! I had one of their TVs for two weeks and it died so everything they make must be junk! I'll never buy from them again!"

Yes, which is obviously why they're still in business.

Sorry for the off-topic tangent, I'm not accusing the OP of this mentality. It's just a pet-peeve from working in retail.

10. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

I just don't like the glossy screen of the macbook. If there were a matte screen option I'd consider it, but I have bad memories of how dirty it got and how ineffective the microfiber cloth was at cleaning it. Lots of smudges.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

One of the reasons I'm hesitant to upgrade from my 12", 1.5ghz powerbook.

12. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

Well if glossy screens aren't your thing then I guess your only option is to stick to the mini and use your current dell monitor , since the imac has a glossy screen as well.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Seen the new 24" iMac in person? Gorgeous screen and I even use a 23" Apple Cinema Display at home and work. The glossy thing does not annoy me as I thought it would. In fact, it was not noticeable at all.

14. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen the 20" imac in person and yeah, that glossy screen wouldn't bother me because it's stationary and much less likely to get the smudges I had on the macbook. I would certainly consider an imac. That's what I had before my macbook and aside from a faint whine inside which disappeared eventually, it was the best Mac I've ever owned. Plus I already have a wireless Apple BT keyboard (the thin one) which is what I'm using with my PC right now.

15. timestamp macrumors 6502

Notice how the OP said, glossy screen of the Macbook. The OP did not say, " I hate all glossy screens."

16. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Go for a matte MBP then. I find the build quality superior to MB's, and I really have loved my MBP.

17. macguymike macrumors 6502

Where did these smudges come from?

18. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

From accidentally touching the screen with my finger while opening or closing the screen and then being unable to clean it adequately.

19. colercoaster macrumors newbie

I've found that the glossy screen on the MBP is quite amazing. I love the way the colors look on the screen :)

20. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

So as it stands now, here's my options:

A. 20" imac now

B. mac mini now and a used 12" powerbook.

C. Low end Macbook pro now.

21. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

You can get a low end mbp refurb for $1699, so that would fit into your budget. I would personally recommend a macbook, if you really worry about the smudges you could always get a cleaner or one of those wet wipes for LCD screens, you can get a 50 pack for $5.
    I would try to avoid a 2 computer set up if I can, because it's just too much trouble to be always syncing between computers and backing up informations from both computers. You'll need twice the external hd space if you decide to use time machine. It also creates unnecessary clutter/ takes extra space.

22. macguymike macrumors 6502

Indeed. A quick search of the MB/MBP forums turns up a lot of support for iKlear to keep the screens clean.

23. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good point too. Plus, as a writer I rather value the space on my desk and as it is, there isn't much left. Sometimes I want to write with a computer and sometimes I want to write with a fountain pen. So, scratching the imac off for now....

A. A refurb macbook pro which would serve as my only computer for 4-5 years and would do everything I could want or need it to do and truly serve as a replacement for my desktop.

or

B. 12" powerbook which would be replaced in 2-3 years and which would keep my costs down for the present as I'm preparing to graduate.

I'm trapped between economy and function.

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

One note, getting the lower end Macbook Pro would probably be better.

Take a look around the forums, you don't see 12" Powerbooks in great condition, which means you have to find one. They also are a pain to upgrade, check the marketplace for that problem. Leopard is going to run better and you can get Applecare, which as you saw with your Macbook - is a blessing.

I would consider maybe a Black Macbook, they wouldn't risk the yellowing, or scratching. You can get a clear skin to protect the screen, because they truly are more rugged machines. With the Macbook Pro they really cram a lot into a small space.

25. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'd say get mini and put the extra money towards something else.