Want to Upgrade Mid 2010 iMac with SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PeteyV, Jan 8, 2014.

1. PeteyV macrumors member

I want to install an SSD in my iMac. Most likely a 256, but I want to also keep in the stock 1TB hard drive. I know that there is an install kit that comes from the OWC but how do I exactly install the OS on the SSD? And afterwards do I uninstall the OS from the 1TB drive? Or do I leave it as is? I want to run programs and the OS from the SSD as most people do and just use the 1TB HDD as storage. I've never had multiple drives in a Mac before so I'm not sure how it works.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You'll have tp wipe the 1TB drive. Then when installing OSX, you'll be presented with an option to select which drive for the OS to live in.

As per having both disks in there, I'd wouldn't say if its possible.

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

Actually, you don't have to erase the existing HDD. When you install the OS, you can select the new SSD for the installation. Then you have to set the boot disk to the SSD in System Preferences. This is how I set mine up. I can boot from either the SSD (which is what I do), or select the original 1TB HDD as the boot drive. You can use the rest of the HDD for storage.

I think in the 2010 you would have to connect the SSD to the ODD SATA connector, as I don't think there's an extra connector on the logic board. There's kits you can buy for this.

4. bsdbee macrumors newbie

Just plug in your SSD. Boot from the OS install USB or DVD and choose to install the OS on the SSD. Then leave your 1tb as is. I was running a similar setup on my late 2009 imac. Worked like a charm.