Wanted: A Mac rumors site about Macs

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Prof1950, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Prof1950 macrumors newbie

I've used this site for years because I wanted to keep track of developments related to my Macs (I've got three of them). But lately it seems like more than 75% of the content here is devoted to the iPhone.

Can someone recommend a site that actually is about Macs?

Yes, I know Apple took the word "Computer" out of their name and that computers aren't their main profit stream, but that doesn't explain what this site still calls itself "Macrumors" instead of "AppleRumors." (Of course that name is undoubtedly already taken, but I'm sure then could find something that reflects the reduced Mac content on this site.)

Or may they could "tab" the Mac rumors -- ironically, the site does have an "iPhone" tab, which is the last thing it needs with its current iPhone dominant coverage.

Meanwhile, I've done a couple of Google searches for Mac-related sites, but it would be a lot better to get some advice from colleagues rather than sifting through all the crap that search produces.

Finally, I want to say that not really complaining about MacRumors itself -- other than the need to change name for the sake of truth in advertising. These guys can follow any content line they want, and it undoubtedly makes sense to maximize coverage on the hottest products that Apple is producing.

All I need is help for "the rest of us."

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apple are fairly obviously primarily concerned with iPods and iPhones these days. It's not MacRumors fault, is it?

MacRumors is a strong brand now, it would be insanity to change it.

3. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

um you could check out mac-forums.com

but macrumors is way better in my opinion

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If it makes you feel better, you could use applerumors.com so that all the news you see is about Apple as a company, not Macs.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Is this site lacking Mac news? Not really. There is just more iPhone news. It isn't Arn's or Eric's idea of having more iPhone stories, it is just how it is. And you know, whatever drives this site to success it what matters too. Having the iPhone has made MacRumors become very large due to the news topics and forums.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Any option for users to select what types of front page (and page 2) reports show up? So anything "iPhone" could be hidden, for example.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You might also want to steer clear of Apple's WWDC too as I'm afraid it will have a lot to do with the iPhone. The site has evolved and while it is called MacRumors we cover all things relevant to Apple. If you feel the site doesn't accommodate your needs you are certainly free to peruse other sites or create your own also. Most Apple "fans" are interested in not only Mac computers but also other devices that Apple produces.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Are you a co-owner of the site now? I thought you were just a mod.? You've used this term before and I'm curious....

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Not at all. I just tend to mean "we" as in "the site" or "the mods".

11. inkhead macrumors regular

A real "mac rumor" site would involve only 3 news articles from 3 years ago. What exciting rumors could there be about your mac pro tower? Seriously with intel we know what's coming next.

Maybe a tablet rumor, but that's about it. There's really no point in rumors about tower/laptops it's too damn obvious what's coming next.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

May I ask what content MR has missed covering that you felt was helpful?

13. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

I think a "Mac" tab up in the nav area would be a nice addition. Similar to TUAW's slash through iPhone link... meaning... show me non-iPhone posts.

I like the iPhone coverage, but it would be nice to be able to quickly see any Mac stories with a click, rather than clicking through pages of iphone links to find them.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Hasn't this topic constantly debated. Nick brought up a thread only a couple of months ago...

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE!!!

This has been posted so many times. It's called a cycle d*mn it!
    Due to the fact of WWDC around the corner and iPhone OS 3.0 and the next iPhone are in cycle to appear, we WILL get more and more rumors about iPhone.
    Come the end of July through the beginning of September, we will see more rumors about iPod.

16. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yeah, something like this would be convenient.

17. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Yes, unfortunately http://www.applerumors.com is already taken :p

I guess the content on the site is just due to the fact that WWDC is quite iPhone focused this year. When the new unibody laptops were released most of the news stories were about laptops

Edit:

Oops didn't read the article Doctor Q linked to!

18. nstrudwick macrumors newbie

Have to say I couldn't agree more with the original post. None of us should forget that without the computer/Mac side of things, none of the rest would have happened. If only I could easily get to the Mac posts without the Iphone stuff--it would be great.

Despite the gimmicks and the trivial games, the Iphone is a phone--and of course isn't available to the majority because of Apple's short-sighted policy of restricting it to certain carriers (except in France).

I realise many/most of you won't agree with me; nonetheless, it would be nice if there were e.g. three tabs, one for the Mac, one for ipods, and one for the phone. But regrettably one feels that the poster who indicated that Apple's main focus is away from Macs is not far off the mark.

Nigel Strudwick
    [Dedicated Apple user since 1983, likes ipods, but sees little use for an iphone at current pricing!!]

19. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Exactly, not to mention poor camera, no bluetooth data or stereo and the large majority of people who cannot pickup 3G without driving 30+mins from their home.
    It appears http://www.iphonerumors.com/ is available, perhaps arn should consider relocating the majority of iphone stuff ;)

Also fwiw, it would be greatly appreciated to keep iphone rumors under its tab "iPhone" as it is not a "Mac" rumor. ;)

20. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

Despite not owning one, I don't mind the fact that there are a lot of iPhone rumours to be honest, though the software side does interest me as I own an iPod Touch. Besides, it must bring a fairly large portion of the traffic to the site as there are less Mac users out there than the combination of iPhones and iPods.

It isn't like the iPhone/iPod rumours overshadow rumours about Macs either, as there is certainly no shortage of them. There haven't been many Mac stories I've seen that MacRumors hasn't covered.

In theory, I agree with your point; but in practice it doesn't seem to matter (to me at least).

Like this :D ?

Attached Files:

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I want to know why the FordRumors.com site doesn't have anything on the Model T. Or the IBMRumors.com site anything about the 026 Keypunch or Selectrics. :rolleyes:

It's called brand progression. MR reflects the state of the Apple community where it is today. Learn to find where the cheese got moved to is the only advice I've got.

Oh, and this is from the 1977-era Apple ][, pre-internet, "what happened to the Apple][Rumors BBS?" guy. If I can adapt, I figure anyone else here should be able to.

22. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Tell me how you did that?

23. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Just click on the little bubbley thing in the top right corner I believe.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Correct. These bubbley things:
    [​IMG]
    On the main forum page you can also close the Active Users and other sections at the bottom. On other pages you can close the Posting Rules, which isn't especially useful.