Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I'm finally upgrading from my beloved iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5, one of the things i'm very excited about is Siri but I wanted some honest opinions on how useful Siri actually is in a practical sense. Is it really useful for adding events/reminders or is it the case of most other voice recognition services and it rarely gets it right first try?
Part of me really wants it to become a really useful feature that I use daily, but another part of me thinks it may just be a novelty that will get boring/tedious after the first few weeks?
I'm really interested in using it in the car, I connect my phone via bluetooth to my car stereo for music streaming and phone calls. Has anyone ever tested using siri using a car bluetooth stereo, does it work using the cars mic used for calls etc, or will I still need to speak into the iPhone mic?
Sorry if this has all been discussed to death before at the launch of the 4S, but searching Siri on here is information overload and I was hoping for some more current opinions a year later.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm finally upgrading from my beloved iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5, one of the things i'm very excited about is Siri but I wanted some honest opinions on how useful Siri actually is in a practical sense. Is it really useful for adding events/reminders or is it the case of most other voice recognition services and it rarely gets it right first try?
Part of me really wants it to become a really useful feature that I use daily, but another part of me thinks it may just be a novelty that will get boring/tedious after the first few weeks?
I'm really interested in using it in the car, I connect my phone via bluetooth to my car stereo for music streaming and phone calls. Has anyone ever tested using siri using a car bluetooth stereo, does it work using the cars mic used for calls etc, or will I still need to speak into the iPhone mic?
Sorry if this has all been discussed to death before at the launch of the 4S, but searching Siri on here is information overload and I was hoping for some more current opinions a year later.

You'll get all kinds of different answers here, for sure.

I use Siri quite a bit. She rocks at reminders, alarms, directions, that kind of thing. The other day I told her to schedule an appointment for October 22, and realized after I said it that it was October 2. Once you give her an instruction to do a reminder, she repeats it back to you and says "Shall I schedule your reminder?" So, once she repeated it back to me and asked if she should schedule, instead of saying yes, I said "Move it to October 2" and boom, it was done.

Yesterday, a friend and I were heading to an event at a restaurant that I haven't been to before. I was driving, so on my way to pick up my friend, I asked Siri to give me directions from "Jane Doe's home to "name of restaurant." No problem.

With iOS 6, the thing I am most excited about is being able to open apps with Siri. I don't know which apps it will work on, but that is going to be a very cool feature.

Forgot to add that I haven't tried the Blue Tooth thing, so I can't answer that question.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I have no idea why some people think it is a novelty. I've used it on my mothers 4s and can not get enough of it. Works amazingly. I my self am using an iphone 4 and i always use the voice control to make calls. I'd say it works 85-90% of the time. I can not wait for my iphone 5 to get here :D

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
When she works, it's cool but extremely limited. My brother has a S3 and it can start apps and do all kinds of other cool stuff.

My biggest complaint is that siri only works about 2% of the time when not on wifi. That pisses me off. And common commands should not require network access at all. Like set an alarm. That should work even in airplane mode.

Novelty at best, annoyance most of the time.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Doesn't work well. Alarms maybe. Other than that it's just fun to play with. My friends have so much fun trying to screw it up, which is pretty easy.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
When she works, it's cool but extremely limited. My brother has a S3 and it can start apps and do all kinds of other cool stuff.

My biggest complaint is that siri only works about 2% of the time when not on wifi. That pisses me off. And common commands should not require network access at all. Like set an alarm. That should work even in airplane mode.

in iOS 6 Siri can launch apps now.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario

You say that the S3 has it better, and then you use the "No network, no Siri" argument. The S3 requires network access to use S Voice as well.

S Voice is much much much worse than Siri from a practicability standpoint. It is much slower and doesn't understand natural language as well. I asked my S3 the other day something that I asked my 4S back when I had it: "Wake me up in two hours". The 4S knows what time it is and sets the proper alarm time, but the S3 asks "What time should I set the alarm?". Umm...didn't I just tell you?

When the S3 gets 4.1 with Google Now, then it'll be different because it won't be Samsung's annoying attempt, it'll Google's own with their search engine power. Although everything I've read so far still says for simple day to day requests, like my alarm example, are still Siri's advantage.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.