Wanting to buy a macbook. Should I wait??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by justmacit, Jul 22, 2008.

1. justmacit macrumors newbie

I Just joined mac rumours and I have a few questions regarding the macbooks. I'd like to purchase a macbook really really soon. But I don't want to go out and buy a white or black macbook if apples gonna release a new one very soon. Any idea how long till these new macbooks? My concern is that, with the macbooks being such good laptops. Performance, design etc. Am I taking a chance on waiting for the new ones just to be disappointed. Or has anyone heard that the new designs are gonna be flawless, and rock solid. Does this mean an entirely new design? I know we don't know everything yet, it's pure speculation but if anyone could help that would be super. Should I wait?? or go with the fantastic macbooks already on the market??

Thanks

2. kovy17 macrumors member

Can you tell me more about your current situation. Do you have a usable computer at the moment. Are you about to start college? Personally i am gonna wait until the next update whenever it is and the way rumors are looking it shoult be at latest early september but i personaly thing it will be in august

3. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

That would verge on the miraculous. Of course we waiters are hoping for trouble-free Mac fun, but there will surely be some weak link that'll plague a small, or a significant, number of buyers. Or there will be some slightly sub-perfect aspect that a few posters will go berserk over, cursing out Apple for making their lives miserable. Par for the course, but we all gleefully tee up.

4. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

if. you. need. it. now. ,. buy. it. now.
    if you can stand to wait, wait.
    if you're always waiting for the next new thing, you'll always be waiting, and never buying.

i am so effing sick of these threads. i'm going to buy a macbook in the next few weeks (i leave in 3 weeks for school) and if they update, hoorah, congrats for those who waited out this storm of rumors, if not, hoorah. the only reason i'm waiting for another week or so is because i need to wait for my student aid to come in. i was going to wait until the new update, but i can't wait; school starts too soon and i need the laptop probably as soon as classes start.

and honestly, when was there ever a new design w/o flaws? show me i'm wrong if i'm wrong. i'll apologize. but honestly, i'd rather have the old version of a laptop w/all the kinks worked out than a new one right off the assembly line with features that probably won't work as smoothly as one would hope.

i'll say it again, if you need it now, buy it now. if you can stand to wait for. . who knows how long, wait.

mmkay, got it? good. kthxbai.

5. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I share your hatred. there is like three of the same thread on this page.

6. justmacit thread starter macrumors newbie

mixmacface and shackler thanks for the waste of time, if you are so disgruntled about this thread or the questions asked, simply do not share your views. Let someone else offer there noteworthy suggestions.

7. mademan118 macrumors regular

I think he answered your question perfectly.

Apple does not release anything regarding new products. Hell when I used to work for them, we wouldn't know what was in the boxes until the day the product was released. Here are some facts for you:

- No one knows when the Macbook will be released except for those few select people at Apple in Cupertino and the distributors/manufactures of the laptop.

- No one knows what they will look like, what new features they will have, or even how much they will cost. Hell Apple could just release the new processor in the same Macbook casing without updating any features.

- Do we know if the new product will be flawless? No we don't. Does any BRAND NEW product release ever come without flaw's? Look at the iPhone, first Macbook, practically any brand new product from any company, then make an educated guess about the stability of the first product.

We can't tell you if you should wait. It is totally dependent on how soon you need a laptop. I went out and bought my brand new Macbook because I don't care about new stuff. I have worked for many large technology retailer's and new products come out every week. That is the nature of the business. The way I look at is, I am buying a product nearing the end of its lifetime. When I go buy a new one, I will be buying one that has been out for awhile and had most major bugs/kinks worked out. I refuse to buy the 1st batch of new products because of the risk you take with getting defects. What would a brand new $1300 paper weight do for you? Looks nice holding those papers down while the wind blow's, thats for sure.

8. peppercat macrumors newbie

I have the same dilemma...to wait or not to wait!
    My previous experience of buying a mac tells me that it is worth waiting it out. I bought a ibook G3 back in 2004 (I think...:confused:) and then less than a week later the ibook G4 came out - I could have kicked myself for not having found out about this and waited just a little!
    The real crunch though was that those ibook G3's had a malfunctioning screen that meant that my screen died 1 day (yes this is true) after the warranty ran out. Thankfully Apple had worked out that there was a malfunction and agreed to extend the warranty for two further years - so I got it fixed HOWEVER, the screen died again, only a week after that extended warranty was up and there is nothing I can do about it and the ibook is useless. IF, I had waited just one more week and purchased the ibook G4 then I would still have a computer today (ok a slowish one)!
    There is a lesson here for sure....I am going to wait it out....

9. smootling macrumors member

My opinion is that if it is possible to wait, then wait. Waiting sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as the feeling of something two weeks old becoming last year's model overnight. And take some comfort in the fact that a bunch of us are in the torture of waiting together!

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you say "Wanting" it means you don't need it and you should wait or not buy one at all.

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

If you are willing to wait maybe 2-3 months than go ahead but if you have to use a macbook go buy it.

ChrisN

12. stone315 macrumors regular

op, i'm in the same situation. i love the current macbook, but i haven't bought one yet cause i'm super indecisive. what i'm thinking about doing is buying the current macbook now, then upgrading to whatever replaces the macbook pro in 2-3 years if i need the graphics card then. plus they'll have a lot fewer flaws then than a rev a product. my only concern is whether or not i will like the new form factor (which no one can give me advice on), because i don't think the performance increase to montevina will be huge. can anyone give me a legitimate explanation of the performance increase? i know faster fsb, and then faster ram? would there be an actual significant increase with those? i mean i'm not upgrading to the pro right now cause it's ridiculous to spend that much for dedicated graphics, and then the upgrade price for .1 ghz is even more ridiculous, but what effects will the change in fsb and ram speed have? if virtually none, i'll just go buy it now so i have the experience, but if it's significant i can wait.

edit: btw why isn't this in the buying advice section?

13. uncleSmurf macrumors regular

uncleSmurf

just echoing what other have said. whats the hurt in waiting a little while longer if you can?

14. apple. macrumors member

if you want to, do so.
    its what you want, not us.
    we dont make your decisions, you do!

15. The Hammer macrumors regular

You should wait. A price drop may be in the works.

16. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

:rolleyes:C'mon, cut the guy a little slack. I'm guessing that he does realize he's responsible for his own decisions but just wants some insight from people who have some experience buying and using Macs. I've bought half a dozen Macs in the past few years, and it's usually a tough call for me, too!:confused:

17. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

It's a tough call man. My iBook is really on its last leg, and I can't even download things because there's no more room on the hard drive. I'm very tempted to just get out there and buy a new macbook, cause it is a great computer, I mean it has it's flaws but it's still nice and fast. Plenty of storage etc. but can we really buy a new computer right now when we know a new design is right around the corner? Personally I think the new macbooks are going to be aluminum, and I really want an aluminum macbook with a backlit keyboard. So I'm going to wait.

Here is what I would do if I were you. Take a look at what new features the new macbook might include.

-aluminum case
    -backlit keyboard
    -led screen
    -longer battery life
    -ssd option
    -dedicated video card

Lot's of cool new features, if you don't care about any of those possible new features, then I would definitely buy now. If you want those above features, then wait. Hope that helps! ;)

18. mademan118 macrumors regular

Captain,

I know your intentions are good, but this post is somewhat misleading. Including any combination of the features listed above would substantially increase the cost of the Macbook. We need to understand that the Macbook is 'Consumer' Laptop. It need's to be cost effective yet have good features. We only know one thing for sure, it will have the new Montevina processor. We have no idea if it will include any of the other features.

The most important question that needs to be answered by the OP is, how long can you wait to buy a laptop? How often to upgrade your computers?

In my case I NEEDED a laptop ASAP. Nor do I care about a backlit keyboard (thanks to typing classes in high school), graphics card, or aluminum case. Having a longer battery, SSD storage option, and LED screen would be nice, however not necessary.

However, do not bank on 'What If's.' Make your decision based on fact, not on speculation.

19. Snpbond macrumors newbie

What you usually hear here is the typical 'wait if you can' response. Thats what I got when I was looking around for this type of question. However I bit the bullet and bought a white 2.4, with a 16gb touch. And couldnt be happier, if you want one, go for it. The current model is very nice, and so far, there is no announcement to suggest another model is coming out soon.

So should you wait? Well with apple you could wait for 2 months, finally decide to buy one and the next day they announce a new model, so just get one.

20. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

That actually couldn't be farther from the truth. If you have even just been reading the front page on this site you would know there are a lot of rumors of a new Macbook. Mainly montevina.

21. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

Ok, i'm not disgruntled. I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated at the fact that there is a new thread JUST LIKE THIS ONE every other day!
    If you wanted our opinions, you should have read the other threads! Don't ask for opinions if you're not ready to hear them. just because you just so happen to not like what i said doesn't mean i'm wrong or right. you can't expect internet strangers to make up your mind for you. you're responsible for your own decisions. if you so happen to buy, and something big does come out, you'll have to live with the decision you made. mmkay, dear? i told you the same stuff i have told everybody else. i was once in the same pickle as you, but i have decided to buy instead of wait. at this very moment, it's the best thing for me. for you it may be different.

but if you want a response, sure wait. have fun while doing it. :)

22. Alx9876 macrumors 6502

Alx9876

Why all the hostility and anger?

I've been watching these threads everyday for the past few months and I see the same ones pop up every couple of days. But as much as it annoys you all, don't bother responding to it.

I could get mad and tell the OP off too but he doesn't know so don't take it so seriously. Alot of these guys are worried about dropping $1,000 bucks or more so they are trying to do their homework on it. They don't want to get Appled.

If you guys can't be patient and give great expert advice then move on. Don't click on the thread and start telling the OP off. He doesn't need that. Either help him or don't say anything.

I understand where you all are coming from. But just keep ignoring it the way I have.

23. Sousa203 macrumors member

the fact of the matter is that no matter when you buy a mac notebook, your going to get a great machine :D

24. Cudadown macrumors regular

I just ( 2 hours ago) bought a new 2.4 white Macbook. It will sit well next to my 24"iMac when I'm not luggin it around. I bought it at best buy and if there is a significant upgrade in August or Sep, I'll pay the damn restock fee and grab the upgrade. Thats if it is a nice hardware change like multi-touch pad, backlighting on keyboard..etc. If its just a slight speed enhance or price drop, it probably wouldn't be worth a 10% restock fee. If the upgrade is longer then Sep, oh well I don't plan that far in advance.

25. dino0829 macrumors member

I couldn't have said it better myself. I just don't understand those type of responses. There's nobody putting a gun to your head, making you read this thread. We're all here because of something we love, and united against the legion of PC drones. Big deal, he didn't hit 'search' before he began. I'm not going to lose any sleep over that. Now, worrying about when to buy my new MacBook, that's another story ... :D