Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spectacles company Warby Parker recently updated its mobile app to include a novel implementation of Apple's face recognition technology exclusive to the iPhone X.

The glasses app uses the smartphone's front-facing TrueDepth camera to map the user's face and create an ideal fit for a new set of frames.

glasses-800x823.jpg

Warby Parker using the iPhone X TrueDepth camera is super super smart: pic.twitter.com/LgHpO8hfUx - Joanna Stern (@JoannaStern) November 7, 2017

Apple's Face ID authentication works by projecting 30,000 dots on the surface of a person's face, accurately mapping its curvature and unique features.

The camera's sensors also capture the data in three dimensions, and it's this technology in particular that the glasses app uses to recommend to the user a series of frames that it thinks will fit their facial structure.

The only failing of the app is that it doesn't (yet) place the spectacles on the user's face, Snapchat-style, to let the customer see what they look like wearing them.

Apple's ARKit augmented reality framework would seem to be the obvious solution to this lack. We've reached out to Warby Parker to ask if they have any plans to make use of it, and will update this article if we hear back.

(Via Mashable.)

Article Link: Warby Parker App Uses iPhone X TrueDepth Camera to Find Your Ideal Specs

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This is seriously revolutionary stuff when considering the long game. In five years' time this sort of example will be second nature and we'll never know how we did without it. That's what Apple have fundamentally achieved over the years; great technology that has practical use in real life.

Eventually the 'technology' aspect fades away, becoming part of the every day and ultimately indispensable.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
This is exactly the sort of thing I’m excited about moving forward.

Warby Parker is already leading the pack in terms of virtual fittings, I can’t wait to see what they do next.

I’ve worn glasses or contacts since I was five (in 1979), and I have not-so-fond memories of trying to see what I looked like with empty frames, yet being so near-sighted that my face had to be within inches of the mirror. Trying on new frames while wearing contacts felt miraculous by the time I got to high school, this is next level stuff.

MarioTUSA

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
USA
I tried the application. The APP does the measure and suggests the ones that will fit you. They have the option to choose 5 frames and try at home. Why not have the option to try on the fly with the APP ?

Reactions: 5105973

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Whilst this is really cool I have to wonder. I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not paranoid, I don't have any trust issues when it comes to using FaceID or TouchID data being sent off to whomever by Apple, but when it comes to 3rd party apps I'm not so sure. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. Does the app send the data it mapped to the company? Is this mapping any different from what FaceID does, maybe less accurate?

DJM1740

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2015
This seems to contradict what Apple told a Senate committee back in October, when questioned about the accessibility of facial scans and privacy:

“Apple's response to Franken largely restates information available on Apple's website about how Face ID works - such as the fact that "faceprints" are not collected by Apple, that third-party developers cannot collect face data from developers, and how the technology works. “. (From Business Insider)

Seems as though third parties can in fact collect face data. Granted It’s with the user’s consent to use the app, but it’s still contrary to what Apple said before.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
This seems to contradict what Apple told a Senate committee back in October, when questioned about the accessibility of facial scans and privacy:

“Apple's response to Franken largely restates information available on Apple's website about how Face ID works - such as the fact that "faceprints" are not collected by Apple, that third-party developers cannot collect face data from developers, and how the technology works. “. (From Business Insider)

Seems as though third parties can in fact collect face data. Granted It’s with the user’s consent to use the app, but it’s still contrary to what Apple said before.

As far as I can determine developers have access to true depth information from the camera system, which is different than Face ID data. Apple provides them with the ability to access like 50 or so measurements from the true depth camera system. But they don't have access to any of the Face ID data or the algorithm that creates and checks for Face ID.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

I imagine this is a huge security concern that Apple have seriously considered. Perhaps the app can utilise the face data within the constraints of the application but is not able to send the data back to the server.

I would definitely be interested to find out for certain though...

afjarboe

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
Edit: never mind. The feature shows up when looking at glasses, but not sunglasses.

Last edited:

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Whilst this is really cool I have to wonder. I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not paranoid, I don't have any trust issues when it comes to using FaceID or TouchID data being sent off to whomever by Apple, but when it comes to 3rd party apps I'm not so sure. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. Does the app send the data it mapped to the company? Is this mapping any different from what FaceID does, maybe less accurate?
This.

What’s available to 3rd party apps is only part of what makes the Face ID work. They get limited information compared to what the phone can actually do.

I can’t remember in which article, but I read that Apple gives access to a dumbed-down version, and that it’s not enough to extrapolate back to a true face.

I wish I had bookmarked it when I read it, because this is a legitimate concern that I believe has been addressed already.

star_nerdy

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
Does the TrueDepth system only work with faces? I think about shoe companies that make shoes according to the TrueDepth pic/scan of your feet...
It won’t work on feet.

Even if it did work technically to map your feet, the issue is stride. How you walk determines what type of shoe you need.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
How on earth did anyone ever buy eyeglasses before this latest gimmicky crap?! Amazing! /s

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Or you could – *gasp* – go to the optometrist in person. :cool:
I think the person who does the glasses fittings is an optician. The optometrist just does the exam to determine the prescription. I’m not trying to nitpick at you, I’m trying to get that straight in my own mind because I need to get new glasses. My new ones broke already and they won’t do a warranty repair (the warranty was only for 30 days) so I need to find a new whatsahoozit. ;)

Reactions: trusso
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.