Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megadust

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
They still don't get it.

I can buy a DVD of these films for about £3 - £5 each in the UK. Why would I spend £7 for a digital download!

As long as they keep ripping people off for digital downloads, people will continue to download them illegally.

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The price is insane. With Netflix at less than $10 a month, it's just absurd to ask that for one movie. People can talk "lack of selection" all they want...I still say the money trumps it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wait, I don't get it....

Didn't Apple say (in one of the many other "news" items floating about) that they no longer allow Apps that are simply "Books" or "Music" or "Movies" - those have to be sold throught iTunes or iBooks....

:confused:

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
A MacRumors story yesterday "Apple Updates iOS App Store Review Guidelines.." mentions this:

Other notable additions to the review guidelines include language directing developers to submit apps that are simply songs, movies, or books to the iTunes Store or iBookstore rather than to the the App Store, and prohibition of arbitrary geographic or carrier restrictions on who may use a given app.

Wouldn't this WB App fall under these guidelines? Or because of the "extra content" do they get to escape this? Will Apple let this continue?

I had just copied the exact same quote! seems like one day is long enough for them to change their minds, or is it a case of "Some developers are more equal than others" ?!

dolph0291

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Welcome addition

At first, I thought it strange that Warner Bros would make an entire app around one movie, but then I thought it's probably quite similar to what they have to do for an iTunes Extra movie.

As an American living in a foreign, third world country, anything like this is welcome. We don't have Netflix or Hulu or any of the other US TV or movie streaming sites. Those sites block access from foreign countries, I'm sure due to licensing requirements.

Warner may be learning a lesson. Pirating here is rampant. I can probably go to the corner and buy a DVD of this movie for $5. The reason is that the studios and record companies have always charged too much for their products. A CD in a store here costs about $20, more than the US. That's a day's pay for most people. Of course people pirate.

Obviously people here lucky enough to be able to own iPads and iPhones (and there are many) have money to spend. Given the option many of them will. But until this app, the only option to see this movie at home was a pirated disk. It's not like you can go to Blockbuster. So, my guess is that many will welcome something like this. There's a big world outside the US.

kwerle

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
Brilliant end-run

Wait, I don't get it....

Didn't Apple say (in one of the many other "news" items floating about) that they no longer allow Apps that are simply "Books" or "Music" or "Movies" - those have to be sold throught iTunes or iBooks....

:confused:

They have additional features. Subtitles, facebook links. Stuff like that. So they are totally end-running the international itunes distribution problem. And they are doing so with nice mark-up for them.

Brilliant.

Not that I'll ever buy one.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Doesn't this go directly against what Apple just said yesterday...

"Other notable additions to the review guidelines include language directing developers to submit apps that are simply songs, movies, or books to the iTunes Store or iBookstore rather than to the the App Store"

Did I miss something? :confused:

This is a mess! This should all be iTunes Extras content not Apps! Apple needs to update the new Apple TV and all iOS devices to support iTunes Extras and these types of features. The digital movie situation is just a pathetic mess of a situation! :rolleyes:

This is exactly what I was just about to ask...

Wickedgardengtp

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
I can buy a DVD of these films for about £3 - £5 each in the UK. Why would I spend £7 for a digital download!

As long as they keep ripping people off for digital downloads, people will continue to download them illegally.

Digital Downloads may be of better quality. Besides, once you scratch your only DVD copy of 'Fried Green Tomatos', how could your life go on?

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
AMEN!
Doesn't this go directly against what Apple just said yesterday...

"Other notable additions to the review guidelines include language directing developers to submit apps that are simply songs, movies, or books to the iTunes Store or iBookstore rather than to the the App Store"

Did I miss something? :confused:

This is a mess! This should all be iTunes Extras content not Apps! Apple needs to update the new Apple TV and all iOS devices to support iTunes Extras and these types of features. The digital movie situation is just a pathetic mess of a situation! :rolleyes:

Thank you, man. I was just about to make this very same point.

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Seeing as you're paying to stream the content, it would've made more sense to make one app that gave way to a library of content a-la-netflix not 1 app per movie; this is one of the most lame ideas I've seen since 20 "angry birds cheats" apps.

Gotta Hankerin

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
I agree that an app for each movie is a bad idea though the interface looks well done.

It's a step in the right direction though to on-demand viewing of entire studio catalogs through either subscription or pay-per-view that completely eliminates the middle-man. I'm looking at you Netflix and Apple.

$$$AAPL$$$

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I LOVE IT! I don't care anything about price... Movie Apps are a dynamite idea sure to increase AAPL profits even moreso, which is *ALL* I care about as an AAPL Investor. Gotta love how the Apple Ecosystem keeps evolving $$$ That aside, I would buy one from time to time... If anything because its just simply cool. :D Go AAPL $$$$$!!!

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
Might free the consumer from Apple-only viewing

If the App authorizes the user to access then content from a Warner Brothers library hosting service, than maybe, if one later buys a smartphone, tablet or desktop from a different supplier, the consumer could still access their content from these other devices independent of Apple?

So even though 30% has to be paid out to Apple, the content becomes independent of the hardware platform. This sounds like a good thing for the consumer.

Might be nice in the event that Apple ever loses its innovative edge; one can still access the content on the next gen devices...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No sir, this isn't for me.

I like to buy a DVD or Bluray for £5-£10, have the ability to watch that on any working region 2 DVD player in the world without fighting DRM and rip that film to my HDD to so I can use it on my portable devices.

I don't want to spend £5-10 on a locked product.

$$$AAPL$$$

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mike Oxard said:
A MacRumors story yesterday "Apple Updates iOS App Store Review Guidelines.." mentions this:

Other notable additions to the review guidelines include language directing developers to submit apps that are simply songs, movies, or books to the iTunes Store or iBookstore rather than to the the App Store, and prohibition of arbitrary geographic or carrier restrictions on who may use a given app.

Wouldn't this WB App fall under these guidelines? Or because of the "extra content" do they get to escape this? Will Apple let this continue?

I had just copied the exact same quote! seems like one day is long enough for them to change their minds, or is it a case of "Some developers are more equal than others" ?!

I don't care about democracy with anynof this either... It's ALL about the CASH no matter what, where, or why. So- as long as it makes ME money as an AAPL investor then I could care less. Keep ringing that register Apple Inc.. You're ringing mine at the same time!!!:D

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Warner Brothers don't care about 30% profit loss.

Do we know how much apple takes from the purchase/renting of movies through iTunes ... probably not much of a difference

Yuck. The last thing I want is an "app" whose sole purpose is to watch a single movie.

Agree - but we have the option to still buy the movies through iTunes, and I don't think anybody who could buy it in iTunes would buy the app (since the use of it is much more limited) -- it is meant for people who life in places where they can't buy the movies through iTunes.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Finally a studio tries to bypass the locks put down on distributing downloadable content over the world.

Plus this also should make Apple think about a few things that are missing from the way it currently offers movies and TV shows in iTune.

Usually when people buy DVDs or Blu Rays they get way more than what is currently offered on the iTunes store even for iTunes extra downloads.

The way the store handles languages for all video content is very annoying right now. A lot of people in europe would watch english content in english rather than the badly translated version available in their national stores.
If anything the user should be able to chose in what language he wants to watch his purchase, the ideal being able to always re-download the version he wants to watch without additional cost, like Mac App Store apps that can be re-downloaded when needed if erased.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I agree. It would have made much more sense to make this more like a Warner Brothers Library app that you can use to purchase/download all movies they choose to make available as in-app purchases.

Of course, you would have to make a web account to keep a receipt of your purchases and make them available for downloading again, so you don't have to keep them all stored on your device.

Obvious, no?

Not really because people want to watch a movie not Warner Brothers.

They are making the content come first.. Which is not a bad idea.. It doesn't bother me at all that they are doing this.

Most people don't know what movie studio makes a given movie.

Plus with apps for movies they can do additional stuff, have extras and other things that you would not likely have in a consolidated environment.

applegirll

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
This is exactly what Apple wants

This Warner Bro's app heralds the future of Apple dominating content delivery, and puts the onus on the content providers to market and sell their content in a way that's appealing to consumers.

Apple doesn't want to be a content provider. Sure, we get our media from iTunes, but apps are where the future is, with Apple taking their 30% cut from app and in-app purchases. Apple wants to be the de-facto way to get content, to profit from that, and to be the number one provider of the devices we consume it on. That's it.

iTunes as a movie buying and renting option? Sure, in the past and for now. Forever? Probably not. Instead, we buy apps and subscribe to content, or purchase more content, and it works on all of our devices, including AppleTV (in the future).

The internet has been abuzz with Apple TV as a future gaming console. And that's true (and most of us already own our own controllers -iPhone/iPod Touch - that we take with us wherever we go).

But the real future of Apple TV is about the content apps, too, not just the games. And the Warner Bro's example is perfect. Perfectly executed? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see. But its a signal of what's to come. Expect more providers to search for ways to deliver their content to us, via the App store, in more and more friendly and engaging ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.