Warning about Pwnage: You CAN brick an iPod touch!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Apr 4, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

2. JAT macrumors 603

PWNage is not jailbreaking

Anybody who messes with the actual bios is asking for it. The one guy has physically broken his home button, half his problem.

The reason they could never be bricked before is no one messed with the boot process, you could always get back to that and restore firmware. PWN is new and goes deeper. It is more dangerous. Early adopters beware....

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I am honestly considering using Ziphone again... at least Ziphone can't brick an iPod touch.

4. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Update: Apparently this kind of thing happens when you attempt to load the iPhone firmware onto an iPod touch... the iPod touch is still running but, it's looking for something that it not there, so the screen is black.... it is actually turned on but, you can't tell.

You MUST hold Home and Power for 10 seconds while the iPod is plugged into the computer, then let go of home and keep holding Power for 10 seconds or until iTunes sees the iPod. It still is highly unlikely that these people have bricks... they just think their iPod won't boot up. They need to force it into DFU mode and they're not doing it correctly.

I just talked to AriX and he did this same mistake and he was able to get out of it using this method.

Go ahead and use Pwnage Tool, just don't upload the iPhone firmware to your iPod touch.

6. djjoja macrumors member

this sounds scary now.. lol, stick to ziphone for the timebeing!

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

[snip] Not trying to flame, but don't mess with Ziphone. If you don't want to pwn, at least use iLiberty or iJailbreak. They are much more stable.

And for the record, I have pwned my touch a few times, just to see if I had any problems, and I am fine.

Also, once you're pwned, you never half to worry about pwning again. If you end up needing to or want to restore, well, just make a custom pwned version of 1.1.4, so when you hit restore in iTunes, you get restored to a clean, jailbroken 1.1.4.

Not sure why so many people are having problems with Pwnage. If you follow the very simple directions, you should be fine.

-mikesgroove

8. biqqr macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm one of the ones who got bricked while trying to pwn. For me, it happened using a freshly-restored 1.1.4 firmware through iTunes, so it wasn't a problem with flashing an iPhone firmware to the iPod.

End result: it wouldn't power on, even in hardware reset mode (home + power for 10+ seconds). Definitely bricked. Exchanged it at Costco tonight.

That being said, I don't think there's a huge number of people affected, but there do seem to be more than just me.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So you did something, not authorized by Apple, to your iPod Touch which resulted in breaking it. Then you went back to Costco and asked them replace it because you gave them a story about how it is not working...for some reason. So they give you a free replacement.

In a nutshell:

- You break your Touch.

- Claim you don't know why it is broken.

- Costco replaces it for free.

Don't you see anything wrong with this?

Simply amazing!

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Odd. I remember seeing another thread started by you, claiming the same exact thing ... Reminds me of that old story about the kid who cried wolf. You know that one, right? ;)

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, except before, people were able to un-brick their iPod touch but, now... it seems like people can't even get it to turn on anymore... that's a big problem. How do you fix something that won't even turn on?

12. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Just don't use any new firmware. No problems with 1.1.1 jailbreaks! :)

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

No, no - I get it. I really do. It's just that your user name seems so appropriate as you keep posting the "OMG!! WarNIng! iPT can bE briCKed!" threads ... ;)

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Sorry for trying to help.

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

Spaz theres nothing wrong with pwnage if the person using it is doing it right, the reason he couldn't get it into restore is because (and I could see in the video) he wasn't doing the two button restore properly, before you start anymore iPod Touch's can be bricked threads just examine the evidence.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Pwnage modifies the bootloader, if something happens during the flashing of the bootloader, you can very well brick your iPod because then it will not even know how to get to the restore mode or DFU mode, so therefore, bricked... right?

17. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Or you could go back even further to 1.1! (If it was Jailbreakable). Not many people have heard of 1.1, it was the very first firmware for the iPod Touch, but it wasn't around that long because shortly after the iPod Touch was released, Apple brought out 1.1.1.

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, but 1.1 was very buggy. 1.1.1 also fixed the negative black problems to some degree, so I can't see why anyone would want to go back to 1.1.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

And has that happened yet? I mean, this is the second 'OMG!! BRICK BriCK BriCK!' thread you've posted, only to follow up an hour afterwards with a 'OMGLOLZ, I was wrong. No brick, it's safe' post ... It's just getting really annoying, that's all. Nothing wrong with trying to help, but you're developing a pattern of being very un-helpful by repeatedly posting the same crap over and over again, only to take it all back an hour or two later.

20. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay, sorry... I just wanted to get the word out that people should use Pwnage with caution... would you rather everyone be careful about it or would you rather it had been true and nobody knew until it was too late?

21. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

Really.. any time a new hack comes out, it would be smart to wait a week or so for the bugs and kinks to be worked out. You don't want to end up with a bricked iphone

22. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the same can be said for any jailbreak really, theres a risk with every jailbreak process, but if you just do the recovery mode bit properly then there wont be a problem

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Honestly, what I'd rather is that you stop spreading FUD every time you hear some kid on some forum saying they've bricked their touch (when in actuality it turns out they simply have no idea what they're doing) ... ;)

24. modesturgell macrumors newbie

I have my Ipod Touch also broken

Exactly like you described. Is is a shame for the autors of this software.

25. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

In 1.1 allot of places where it should of said "iPod" it said "iPhone".