Warning about the #3 app "Sound Grenade"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

In case you don't read reviews of free apps before downloading them, this might be of interest to you.

Sounds like a cool app if you're a stupid kid who enjoys annoying your whole class (like me.) However, after reading the reviews, I quickly deleted this app. About one in every ten reviews claim that the high-frequency sound actually BLEW OUT the speakers on their device. Only a few mention which device they had (I've only seen iPhone 3G.) So use this app at your own risk.

2. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

That would be an interesting warranty claim given that Apple approve each and every app on the app store... I wonder if this app might suffer the Apple kill-switch if it is indeed found to be the cause of speaker failure.

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Uh-oh... I might uninstall it... or use it on lower volume/someone's elses speakers :p

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah, I noticed that the App caused my speaker to crackle a bit and recognized the volume was too high even though you don't hear it as that loud. I simply leave my volume at half to make sure there is no damage... I believe that it will easily pop out the little iPhone speakers...

5. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Oh that's bad news. =(
    I have been using that app at work over the past few days, it is driving my co-workers absolutely NUTS.

They have been walking around putting their ears up to computer monitors and all trying to pinpoint the source.

rofloflofl

6. Theirishjoey macrumors member

Wow. How on earth did this get through apple's criticising? I'm not going to download this app!

7. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If Apple offered competing functionality, you better believe it would have never been approved ;)

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It wont blow out your speakers if they arent outrageously loud.....

10. deadsouls macrumors regular

chalk up another idiotic app for idiotic users

11. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

The point is: An application shouldn't be in the App Store if it is capable of causing unfixable damage.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

And Apple won't repair the damages. In the description of Sound Grenade, it says to crank up the volume... so people crank up the volume as they're told and now their iPhone is broken and Apple won't help them. I thought the AppStore was supposed to be safe from malicious apps? An App that produces a sound that damages the phone, speakers or ears should NOT BE on the AppStore. Remember the whole thing with the iPods having a volume cap?... this can't be good.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There is SUPPOSED to be a volume cap, do apps from the app store get around this?:confused:

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I always piss everyone off with this and usually turn the volume up all the way.
    My speaker has yet to go bad.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Then download the app and see if your speakers blow. I don't think it's BS. Why would so many people say their speakers now always crackle ever since running this app?

16. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I have had the App since release and I use it everyday at full volume. In my school's auditorium full of people everybody turns their heads when I turn it on lol.

17. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Very interesting. I wonder how apple would handle any claims for replacement

18. LukeHarrison macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

Yep, this is true, it happened to me, not with this app, but with the 'Oscillator' app instead. A friend of mine decided it would be fun to turn it up all the way, and bang went my speaker. It sounds terrible now. Anyone know if the speakers are replaceable, I know Apple won't do it, but if they're user-replaceable?

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Can't you manually turn off the limit anyhow in settings?

20. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Well, if your iPhone is covered under its warranty, there's not reason they would not cover your iPhone. It would not be an easy fix by the user. Also, I think you have the right to go to an Apple store asking for a replacement if your iPhone is problematic as a result of an App they approved for their store.

21. Bingbonghoho macrumors member

If you were a chick, I would propose to you on macrumor. LOL
    Thanks macrumor, I found my brother from another mother.
    Has anyone in your office mentioned yet, that it's coming from the dirty air conditioning system? Just wait for it!!!

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The funniest thing is that the dev wrote the app as an experiment. He wanted to make the crappiest app that would shoot up the rankings. He admits that it performed better than he thought.

Now this. Hahaha.

23. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I have to say I agree. I have the Pro version and haven't experienced anything unusual except a bunch of people who have no clue where the sound is coming from. LOL :D

I wouldn't leave the App going for more than 10-15 minutes, so I don't think any damage will occur. It also may depend on how worn in your device's speaker is. Newer iPhone speakers won't be used to putting out sound and may break just because of the intensity of these sounds.

24. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Couldn't people just say the speaker stopped working and demonstrate to the Genius with music. Don't call me a liar, it's just that I've heard that people have done the same thing playing music too loudly.