Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Looks like your going back to iOS 4 in the mean time. But it's not really BiteSMS' fault that iOS 5 switched how it works, and killed the feature. Programming isn't as easy as you might think, so try not to be so critical.

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
also, clicking on the number of unread messages icon at the top no longer brings up the unread messages which is really frustrating.

I guess I can't speak for you, but I'm fully happy to not have to tap for a popup of unread messages when Notification Center will present all of my unread messages.

Not to mention, Notification Center is a lot less tricky to drag open (from the exact same spot, I might add) than trying two and three times to hit the stupid SMS bubble in the right spot.

will bitesms 5.5 work on ios5 if u manually find and install the .deb file? if nottt im going back to ios4 !!

So let me get this straight: you're going to downgrade your entire operating system and give up *every* other feature of iOS 5 *just* because of "Hide Contact" and that you want to click a conversation bubble in the taskbar?

Seems like cutting off the nose to spite the face, but to each his own I guess.

grimy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
also, clicking on the number of unread messages icon at the top no longer brings up the unread messages which is really frustrating.

Wow, never even knew about this feature lol. I found no need for the hide a contact feature, if I give someone my phone and the pass code to it...I have no issues with them being on it. If I don't want them on it, I have no issue being a dick and not allowing them to use my phone.

I actually like the new features, I find things to be more customizable.

But also for those that upgraded, remember to respring after install to get iMessage properly working.

I did notice that when you initially click the bitesms icon, it is laggier than it was in ios4 and I have to give it longer before clicking a contact :(.

I also noticed that if I don't click on a message right when I get it when my phone is locked, the QR goes away :( is this because of it going to the "notification center"?

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
I also noticed that if I don't click on a message right when I get it when my phone is locked, the QR goes away :( is this because of it going to the "notification center"?

Correct. If "Auto Show Quick Reply" is on in BSMS QR settings, then the QR popup will be the default initial behavior for incoming messages at lockscreen (but only until the screen re-sleeps). Otherwise, you'll have to slide the icon for an individual message to bring up its QR popup.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I agree. I think thsi BiteSMS is much better. But again I never used Hide Contacts. Can't you just password protect the entire app? I think it would be much easier.

BTW - I love the option in the new BiteSMS that let's you change the icon to sock...

BurntReality

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Tyler, TX
I upgraded last night and I think Bitesms is still my number 1 reason for jailbreaking. It integrates flawlessly with notification center and iMessage.

As asked earlier, what exactly did the hide contact feature do?

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
JB my wifes iP4 and she loves BiteSMS!

Apple seriously needs to implement some form of quick reply
WITHOUT exiting the app your in.

xavierpunkreno

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
Bitesms 6.1 for ios5 users is missing some key features, i just did the upgrade to ios 5.0.1 and regret it. the 'hide contact' feature is gone and the bitesms team claim there are no plans at all at the moment to work on it. that was a mainn feature! there is a new feature, a messier idea of locking quick reply and quick compose which doesnt help too much. bitesms were geniuses for developing hide contact!

The GUI looks a lot fresher and updated, but this isnt enough if these features are missing for me, looking to downgrade.

will bitesms 5.5 work on ios5 if u manually find and install the .deb file? if nottt im going back to ios4 !!

Stop cheating on your significant other or just download iBlacklist if you must.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
iMessage integration is NOT that good. you "can" quick reply, but if you want to follow the conversation you have to go back to imessage.

For some reason its LAGGY as hell on the iphone 4. Not sure if its an i4 thing or an ios5 thing or a bitesms thing.

The UI looks like chompsms from ANDROID (yuck), then of course, they are the makers of chomp, but I hated so much that sms app on the android that I just wish some of the things don't get PLAGUED to iOS.

Still... my wife is the one that has i4, i have the 4s. So i still have to wait. Thinking on exchanging.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
iMessage integration is NOT that good. you "can" quick reply, but if you want to follow the conversation you have to go back to imessage.QUOTE]

You are able to track messages. Just drag the top of the QR screen down and you will be able to view the entire message. Works flawlessly.

GzyOnline

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
no joke!.. it is not what i'm used to and i'm pulling my hair out over trying to figure out new BiteSMS 6 on iOS 5.0.1 #tear.....

i just updated the iOS last night.. i have forever been loyal to my iOS 4.2.1 (greenpois0n baby!).. #ifitain'tbrokedonttrytofixit!!... but w/tons of new apps & tweaks coming out that require iOS 5, and w/iPad HD coming out tom, i have a feeling they're gonna be dropping iOS 5.1 as well and I won't be able to do a clean update via iTunes once that happens, so i folded and am now running iOS 5-strong.

anyhow, back to BiteSMS 6 on iOS 5.x..::

-i too miss the ability to click on the numbered bubble in the status bar to get a list of my unread msgs! #tear ..someone above mentioned being able to pull down the Notif Center to view unread msgs, i will have to give that a try..
--seeing how i installed BiteSMS rt away, i cheated myself in getting an experience w/the updated native messaging app/notification system.. anyone recommend i uninstall BiteSMS and run the native just for the experience??... (no?, hah, me either!!) :p

-my biggest feature w/old BiteSMS, which i am mickeymousing around and have almost got back, is the Lock/Unlock settings of 'Show Nothing'.. why was it necessary to remove this? I don't want to restort to the SBSettings of killing SMS Alerts, i just don't want alerts while i'm unlocked and working diligently on my phone!.. i swear this was the best feature!.. no interruptions while you're working... u get a text message while unlocked? great! the lil numbered bubble shows up in the status bar and you can check it when you've got a moment!
anyhow, these are my 2cents.. once i leave work maybe ill come back and really spill my heart out into this post.. i'm glad i'm not the only one who is heartbroken over the lost features!..

hch3psa

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Arizona
Just so you know the bubble up top still works.

Also if you set quick reply to work with Apple Settings I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how nice it is. If you want to quick reply just tap on the banner and you can reply. If not it will just drop into NC.

For anyone experiencing lag, I think 6.2 is going to fix your issues. I was having lag on my 4S with 6.1 so I added the beta repo and the first update I did took care of all the lag.

Just my 2 cents.

GzyOnline

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
Just so you know the bubble up top still works.

well what are your native:notification & messages settings & biteSMS quick reply & privacy settings? ..because i see the numbered bubble, and im tapping on it repeatedly and it's not doing anything but sitting still.. before, when you tapped on the bubble, a list of unread msgs displayed in the center of the screen.. it does nothing now other than let me know there are some msgs there.. for now i am pulling down the notification center and viewing unread text messages from there (which is not all that bad..) :eek:

Also if you set quick reply to work with Apple Settings I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how nice it is. If you want to quick reply just tap on the banner and you can reply. If not it will just drop into NC.

i do have my quick reply>alert style set to use Apple Settings.. but this is just so I don't get text alerts while the phone is unlocked and I am working on it (thank goodness too!, bcuz if I could not get this to work i'd surely have to resort to downgrading back to iOS 4.2.1)

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
^ .... not sure what version of BiteSMS you are using with your ios5 since you did not mention...

the latest beta is 6.2.12 and tapping on the bubble will open up quickreply. Within quickreply, tapping the top of the popup (small down arrow) will open up the whole message for that person....

besides the hide contacts feature, everything is still working great....

settings

QR- Alert style - apple settings
Notificatin center - open quick reply

Privacy
QR/QC Lock mode - On for both

QR/QC Unlock mode - on for both

The other two settings, it's up to you depend on how private you want it to be

GzyOnline

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
^ .... not sure what version of BiteSMS you are using with your ios5 since you did not mention...

the latest beta is 6.2.12 and tapping on the bubble will open up quickreply. Within quickreply, tapping the top of the popup (small down arrow) will open up the whole message for that person....

besides the hide contacts feature, everything is still working great....

settings

QR- Alert style - apple settings
Notificatin center - open quick reply

Privacy
QR/QC Lock mode - On for both

QR/QC Unlock mode - on for both

The other two settings, it's up to you depend on how private you want it to be

Well I'll be daMned!! Thank you so-very-much for your post! nDeed, the bubble's function has returned!! HALLELUJAH!!
and for those (like me) who need some help on juss how to get the BiteSMS beta version... see:http://forums.bitesms.com/forums/6/topics/4569 .. (Add the following Cydia repo: http://cydia.bitesms.com) .. and juss search for
"biteSMS" in Cydia!
THANK YOU, AGAIN!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

midniter

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
bitesms 6.2

Is anyone else having this problem

I get a message .. i see the pop up .. and i hit 'close'
and the phone goes into a 'Respring'... then I have to press 'Restart' and then it comes on OK

If i 'Reply' or 'Open' .. then its ok.. otherwise it goes into a 'Respring'

How do i avoid that ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.