WARNING - Do NOT adjust computer date - it screwed up my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applemax, Apr 8, 2008.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

For a bit of fun, I wanted to see how far forward I could make my mac go - turns out it was 2038. Anyway, I opened up Mail and every single past/present/future iCal alert/to do/note was resent/popped up, thus crashing my computer and giving me a kernel panic/forced shutdown. Everything's fine now but I had to delete the iCal files to remove the alerts. I've now fully recovered from a slow/crashed mac and my email is very, very full now. I'm just warning everyone not to fiddle around with the dates for fun. I hope Apple fixes this dangerous bug in 10.6. It's like the Millennium Bug all over again. God knows what happens when you try and go back!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dangerous bug, eh? You know what happens at the end of every single movie about time travel....

3. alaceo macrumors member

That's not a bug, per se, it's just the current limit of the UNIX EPOCH - counting seconds from January 1, 1970.
    From what I've read, the last possible time it can reach is 03:14:07 Tuesday, January 19, 2038. At that point, its just out of bits to store the time. Eventually it'll switch to 64-bit and we won't have to worry about that.

4. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

I know that, I'm talking about the reaction that iCal made to the change - that's the bug. Sending out all my previous calendar items (and future ones) as emails and popups thus crashing my computer and clogging up my email inbox

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know about you, but suddenly the apes are in charge over here. Gotta go now, the ape masters are ordering me back to the banana trees.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Wouldn't call that a bug. Reasonable behaviour considering what you are doing with the time.

7. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

How is it reasonable? It sent all the reminders before 2008 to me!?!?!

8. quest4apple macrumors member

But as far as iCal knew they weren't "future" items. Remember you changed the date? How is the system or iCal to know that you are just having fun and that it wasn't really 2038?

Your advice is very good though. I once opened Quicken after my internal battery died and my clock reset and it hosed my Quicken data.

9. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I think it shouldn't let you change the time for fun lol, then there wouldn't be an issue. It should let you set it one time on system setup, then only allow time zone changes and automatic server time syncing. Any problems with this?

10. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Aren't you somehow assuming that the computer knew it was *really* 2008 and should not have sent any reminders?

But really, how could the computer know that? As far as it knew, it was suddenly 2038 and all the reminders in iCal were due to be sent.

I think you're assuming that the computer knew that you were just fooling around and that it was supposed to remember that the real year was 2008 and that reminders for events prior to the *real* current date had already been sent.

So I think sending the reminders is reasonable behaviour. Your machine crashing is not reasonable however.

Cheers.

11. alaceo macrumors member

How is it not reasonable? You played with the clock, causing programs to assume it was a different date. The programs behaved accordingly.

12. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Thanks for the brief nugget of entertainment.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think the lesson here is to not set your clock to an arbitrary future date and then launch apps that use the date for operation like iCal, Mail, Quicken, etc.

I don't think it should have caused a kernel panic and crash, unless you actually hit the epoch time and the system went a bit wonky not knowing what to do when the count rolled over. If it's the apps that caused the computer to crash then there is a bug in the apps that probably had more to do with the number of events occurring than the date itself.

14. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

That is not a bug, iCal is functioning as it should.

15. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Current Macs are already 64-bit. We're good :D

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It shouldn't have sent reminders for events that it has already sent though.

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

And the moral to all this is DONT SCREW AROUND WITH YOUR CLOCK

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm going to have to agree with vanmacguy on this one. What did you expect the computer to do?

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It didn't send reminders that it had already sent. As far as the computer knew it went to sleep/got shut down, and was rebooted in 2038. Every event that occurred between now and 2038 that had not been sent was then sent. This is exactly what the software is supposed to do. It shouldn't cause a crash but then again software shouldn't ever cause crashes, but when you do something that the programmer didn't anticipate (like maxing out the clock and then opening iCal) there may be some erratic behavior.

20. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

It did sent reminders that it had already sent - I know this for a fact, thank you

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Then, that would definitely be a bug, as would the crashing. But the fact that it sent the future reminders is expected behavior.

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.

23. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

What happened to the year 29,940 that the Classic era Macs could go to before reaching their end date? What am I supposed to do if I keep my Mac stored in good working condition and try to use it after January 19, 2038 with correct date and time:D, assuming that the machines haven't wiped us out or some other doomsday whoops has not yet occurred by some scientists. Obviously it would not be very useful but I could still run 10.4, Office 2004 and Photoshop CS and print.

I mean unless there is some unbelievable medical breakthrough non of us would make 29,940 AD.

24. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You wanna make sure you spell that correctly...

25. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

it's not a bug and lol @ u. sorry to hear that but it was funny