[Warning] Don't Uninstall iTunes 8.2 with these instructions. I seriously f'd my Mac!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jun 2, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay, so I heard that iTunes 8.2 disables jailbreaking so I wanted to uninstall it. Doing a quick search I found this site:

http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/06/itunes-82-released-jailbreakers-dont-update-yet.html

I attempted to use the terminal commands listed there, but I was unaware that you had to paste the entire block of text in and I was doing one at a time. After the first one took a long time, I started to get worried... then I started looking at what I pasted and I noticed that I was removing my System/Library folder. Now my system is seriously messed up. I was doing this over SSH too and now I have to wait until I get home to do my Time Machine magic.

I'm just throwing this warning out there so that others don't attempt do delete their System Library too. I should have read it over carefully before pasting it in. I get so used to people being honest that sometimes I don't stop and use caution.

Anyways... You're all welcome. This sucks. I can't even remotely shut down my machine because my Finder and all of my menus do not work. Oddly, I can still VNC into it and see how f'd up it is. Heh.

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

LMAO you removed your entire /System/Library folder.

I guess this was a hard lesson in how dangerous super user commands are.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Never blindly paste commands in, especially as a super user, without looking at what the command is first.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

We're welcome? Posting a warning about not using terminal commands in which we do not understand needs no warning.

Lesson learned for you I'd imagine.

5. pfish macrumors member

This should really be "don't type in commands you don't understand."

You can't copy and paste those commands, or you will remove /System/Library. You need to piece them together, and use a blackslash for line continuation so you see what files you're removing.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app \
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework \
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext \
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework \
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework \
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hey, I admitted this was my fault. I'm just trying to warn others because some people aren't as fortunate as me with all my backups. Yes, it removed System/Library. Also, the document I was reading did not say to paste all of that at once into the Terminal. Since the lines were broken up, I automatically assumed they had to be entered one at a time. It was my mistake for not reading the line I was pasting in. At first I thought the first line was to delete iTunes and the second line was to delete something else and so on and so fourth.

Yes, I've learned my lesson... but also THANK APPLE for TIME MACHINE! I love it!

7. pfish macrumors member

Yeah..in a major way. It happens. This is why all of my ssh sessions to production servers have a bright red background.

8. shotts56 macrumors 6502

On a similar note ...

Warning !!! Do not walk in front of trains ! They will kill you !!!

9. The Governor macrumors regular

Are you sure about that?

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

So, did this introduce any lag on your Mac?

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm not sure what you mean, but my system was unusable. A quick visit in time machine fixed everything for me.

12. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

13. Ksg89 macrumors member

Theres a space after Library that i presume caused the problem =/

14. pfish macrumors member

fixed.

15. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Are super user commands sudo? So is it like a root command in Linux? For those go don't know Linux, sudo commands are a temporary way to access the root account that can do anything.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

it was supposed to be entered like this

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

18. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hey... I'm just trying to save some people from making a mistake. Sue me.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nice Spaz. You used super user and entered commands in that you don't understand. :rolleyes:

Also: It is unbelievably annoying that you somehow think this post helped anyone. "You're all welcome"? Who do you think you are?

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Have no fear, he's an official developer now. I knew he would be able to fix it in a snap.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

LOLs!

I'm still waiting for his buggy, but well iconed apps to hit the store. (since we all know where his priorities are) Although I still haven't seen any icons he's designed...

22. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That is one hell of a Terminal Fail.

Glad you had it backed up though :)

23. pfish macrumors member

That's the same thing I showed above. I just used a backslash for line continuation so you can actually see each file being deleted instead of one huge one line command.

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's not the reason I became a developer.

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I know. You got it just so you'd have buggy beta software before everyone else got the final release. Good for you. (Of course this was after you started a thread on why you were sticking with 2.2.1, go figure :rolleyes:)

EDIT: you're also not a developer, so don't try and pass yourself off as one.