**WARNING** Griffin Reveal Slim-Fit Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Devlonc, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Devlonc, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

Devlonc macrumors member

I bought one if these from BB, got new phone and put it in. Noticed scratches on inside of case already. Took it back up to swap it out. Put IP5 in new case and look on back... Walla... Scratched. The edges on the IP5 scratch the inside of the case when you are putting it in. DO NOT BUY.

I was really disapointed because I had this case on my IP4 and loved it. I guess Griffen changed the makup of the plastic. :(

2. JoshObra macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up! I was planning on buying this one as well. I guess I'll stick with silicone this time around.

By scratches, you mean the "scuff-gate" everyone is talking about?

3. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Griffin reveal are horrible cases....I bought one way back for my 3GS and it did the same thing.

Looks like they never fixed it....

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I just went and got one of these. I guess I'll be exchanging it on the way home. Thanks!

5. mzd macrumors 6502a

yes, was this on a black iPhone?
    i almost picked one of these up this afternoon. they looked decent and the rubber around the edges seemed soft/flexible. i'm surprised it would scratch the phone.

6. mryanwalker macrumors newbie

Weird, I didn't have the same thing happen to me.

7. Mrrikki macrumors regular

8. wrecks macrumors member

No scratches on mine.

Maybe you had a foreign object when you put the case on. Like a grit of sand or something.

I was under the impression that plastic (softer material) can not scratch metal. I could be wrong on this, I remember learning this at school a very long time ago :eek: .. but I guess it can scratch the paint.

9. SlyMac macrumors 6502

It wouldn't have scratched the metal. It would have scratched the anodized layer on top of the metal.

10. wrecks macrumors member

yep edited my post at the same time you posted your post. Makes sense.

11. onepremiere macrumors regular

Weird. I've had this case on my 4 for a year now... I love it. I didn't even think griffin had anything for the 5 yet.

12. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

The case is very soft rubber, I don't see how this could have scratched your phone unless you had a large chunk of dirt/sand in there or something.

13. Thrilledge macrumors regular

Hasn't this always been the issue with the reveal?

14. mzd macrumors 6502a

can you post a photo of the phone in the case please?

15. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Over the two years I had it on my i4 it "rubbed" little spots and made them shiny... No scratches. But I did consider this case as a second option.

16. WithAmazement macrumors newbie

To everyone who read this as "This case scratches the phone," what OP is actually saying is that the hard metal edge of the phone scratches the clear plastic back of the case when you insert the phone. I've bought and returned two of these now for the same reason. This has nothing to do with scuffgate, the phone is fine. The plastic must be incredibly soft and the angle which you must insert the phone at makes the metal contact the clear plastic case, thus creating the scratches/scuffs OP describes.

17. kimbermatic macrumors newbie

Thank you... for clarifying

I bought this one last night. Thank you for clarifying what scratch's. I was just checking mine. I guess I am not so concerned with the scratch if it occurs on the case. I like that it is minimal in adding to the phone size, yet provides protection to the corners. After watching the drop tests I think this case will do fine for me. The other thing I notices was that the clear back plastic does smudge pretty easily.

I usually end up with one or two cases depending on what I am doing. The Twelve South BookBook wallet is probably going to be my other case when it is released.

18. Devlonc thread starter macrumors member

it didn't scratch the phone, the phone scratched the inside of the case

----------

sorry the Phone wasn't scratched the inside of the case was.

19. CC424 macrumors regular

Mine is good...no scratches on 4s or 5.

Attached Files:

20. mzd macrumors 6502a

i picked up the Griffin Reveal at Best Buy. price match with Target for $19.99.

it is decent. we'll see how much the clear back scratches with normal use (a lot i predict), but it will certainly do for now. it is quite slim and has a nice, snug fit. the headphone opening isn't very large though - it won't work with larger plugs.
    i am eager to see what Switcheasy has in store...

Attached Files:

21. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I got a smoking hot deal at BB today (long story) but I sprung for the Griffin Reveal black and the Platinum case with the kickstand for $25 total +tax. Anyway, I don't think there's anything wrong with the reveal. Just be careful when you slip it in. ;)

22. MedicBMC macrumors member

I bought one of these today and I definitely know what your talking about. I went to wipe it off with my shirt and already I'm seeing swirl marks like in a car. To me this case is just temporary so it's not that big of a deal, but it is really unfortunate to slap this thing on such a beautiful phone and make it look all scuffed.

IMO if your going to BB for a case get any case other than the reveal.

23. REDTAZ macrumors regular

How are you guys getting the case so cheap? Was highly interested in purchasing it.

24. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I got it in a way no one else can replicate. Otherwise you can just price match to Target like the previous purchaser did.

25. captainc macrumors member

Do you just say that you want to price match target? Did you bring in an ad? or the online version?