Warning when opening applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by obelix, Jan 7, 2008.

1. obelix macrumors member

I recently upgraded to Leopard and now every time I try to open an application I get this message:

" whatevername.app is an application which was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?"

This usually only is supposed to happen once, but it happens every single time I open it. Is there any way to disable this annoying feature?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Are you running it from a disk image or have you moved it to the applications folder?

3. obelix thread starter macrumors member

It's in the apps folder. The funny thing is that I seem to have fixed the issue by downloading the applications again and installing them.

I would love there to be a way for this to NEVER happen. It would be great if there never was a warning when opening new apps.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Everyone who writes malware (viruses, trojans etc. ) would love it as well.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Is this the only fix? My recent installation of Leopard does the same thing. I wouldn't mind if it asked the FIRST time I ran the program, but it's not necessary for it to continue.

6. iVersa macrumors 6502

7. Roquefort macrumors member

Just a wild guess: Does your login account have administrative privileges? (That means that in System Preferences -> Accounts, the "Allow user to administer this computer" checkbox is checked.

Perhaps it takes someone with "admin" privileges to give the blanket approval that will "stick" for a given application.

If you really want to bypass the protection system completely, this page claims to have instructions.