[Warning] Wrapsol iPhone 5 Ultra cut is horribly off, wait for a fix!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Philz, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Philz macrumors member

I ordered the Wrapsol with expedited shipping based on recommendations on the forum...

Well the home and top cutouts don't line up. You either have a centered home button and a half covered FaceTime camera, or you have a centered speaker/facetime camera and it's a good half a centimeter hanging off on the left side.

Joy.

The back seemed somewhat OK, however the tabs that they have you use to get it on there and centered snapped off while peeling the white backing from the adhesive surface. This makes you use your fingers to center it, but obviously with residue.

With both the white backing came off but left "white particulates" behind that immediatly adhered to the adhesive. No amount of scotch taping helped.

I have an incredibly stupid looking iPhone 5 now. Cheap Chinese protectors are better!

Mind you this isn't my first forary with laminate screen protectors, I've done both wet and dry applications from BodyGuardz, BSE, Zagg, and SGP. I've never had issues getting them on, and only QC issue I had was with a BodyGuardz but that was resolved ASAP.

Macrumors isn't letting me upload pictures, but they are pretty bad as I don't have my Macro lens on me. Will get some later.

2. Wrapsol macrumors newbie

Phil - We are aware of an issue regarding the film cut on some iPhone 5 screen protectors. In total, we believe this issue affected 50 pieces (almost half of which have already been replaced).

We apologize that you received one, and we are working closely with any customer who is experiencing this defect to get a correct cut film to them immediately. Please message us, or email support@wrapsol.com and we will do everything we can to make this right.

Thanks.

----------

Also, just a quick note: the incorrect film cut DOES NOT affect the functionality of the device in any way. However, we still encourage any customer with a defective piece to contact us for a free replacement right away.

3. ejisfun macrumors regular

I will also add to this that I purchased a wrapsol protector for the back of my phone, and completely disliked it. I just don't think it works well on the aluminum, and it looked terrible.

4. PerPlekz macrumors member

can you elaborate? I have one sitting right here waiting for my case to put it on

5. Philz thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it does look off, but after previous experience with these things it looks better in 3-4 days. it's the initial bit that really just looks ugly. Though who knows with the i5.

Mine just took what was an amazing looking phone (I had no issues with it out of the box) and at the moment looks like a travesty...

----------

Sent an email.

6. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Wrapsol's films are horrible compared to other brands.
    For their price, you can get much higher quality (even Glass) protectors.

On top of that, their customer service is ridiculous.
    I once ordered a warranty replacement (from their' lifetime warranty guarantee ") and I received an incomplete, damaged film; and what did their reps say? 'too bad, so sad'.

also, their screen protectors are so sloppy that they don't even have a proper home button cut out (it's a cut from the home button all the way to the bottom of your device....)

7. holyindian macrumors 6502

Has anyone applied Wrapsol on the back of their iphones? Would love to see some pictures. I read they look horrible on the aluminium body of the phones.

8. SmittS macrumors regular

They had all kind of quality issues with their first runs for the 4. I ended up getting 2 replacements, each just as bad as the other, and then they started giving me a runaround about getting it fixed. I finally just threw all that garbage in an evelope and got my money back.

9. fireman13, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

fireman13 macrumors 6502

I have had wrapsol for all of my apple products. I currently have the full body protection on my macbook air and love it. Before this, It was on my macbook for 3 years and my iphone 4 for over 2 years as well as countless iPads. I have never had a problem with any of them. they are great products. I mainly love them on my computers and iPads because they have a really nice matte finish. I don't care for their screen protector but the protection for the back of my products were flawless.

For my iphone 5, I had an issue. i knew I wanted to put a front and back skin on it but with the back being glossy(glass) and matte(aluminum) I didn't think anyone would make a skin that had both of these qualities. So, I improvised.
    I used the portion that was supposed to cover my trackpad on the Air and cut it to fit the aluminum portion of the iPhone 5. I then cut the glossy portions off of a BSE and used them on the glass. The outcome was great! its exactly what i wanted.

So while I don't have any experience with their iphone 5 skins, i can speak for the quality of their past products and their customer service. All have been great. I agree the tabs on the back are a mess and should be changed future iterations.
    Anyway, I know this is just my opinion, but not everyone has had a bad experience with Wrapsol. I certainly haven't.

Attached Files:

10. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Would also like to see pics of the Wrapsol back skin installed. Thought about getting this a few times. Currently using a faulty iPhone 5 SGP film as a temp back protector inside a case. It does look pretty crappy (cutouts aside :p)... it doesn't adhere evenly like it does on glass... tends to bubble up around the logo and where the glass pieces and aluminum meet.

If the film is similar to how the iPhone's back looked like with the protective film out of the box... that is no bueno.

----------

Nice MacGyvering there! Looks great! May have to try this since I have an unused Wrapsol MBA trackpad skin. Thanks for the helpful tip!

11. fireman13 macrumors 6502

HAHa, thanks....the pictures really don't do it any justice and I just put in on today so it technically isn't dry yet.

As far as the quality of their skins on the iphone. While I can't speak for the 5, my wrapsol on the iphone 4 was flawless. There is no orange peel effect at all. it looked just like glass. After two years, I peeled it off the back and the phone was perfect.

12. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Seriously, that looks great already. Maybe wrapsol should sell this combo.

13. junebug1 macrumors regular

I preordered 4 of the iPhone 5 Wrapsol kits and received them yesterday. Look through my previous posts and you can see I always praise Wrapsol and use them on every device I have ever owned. The QC on this batch is very disappointing. Was planning on sending an email today to request replacements but may just ask for a refund and move on. The cut is way off on both the front and back of mine.

- you have to aligned the front way left so the camera and earpiece are almost under the film in order to get it to fit the rest of the front screen properly.

- all of the back pieces are poorly cut so even when you have a nice straight edge on one side of the device the other has a larger area left unprotected and angled.

- with the standard install (dry) the aluminum back looks absolutely awful. There are all kinds of lines and striations. The transition from the glass top and bottom to the aluminum middle creates an air pocket (obviously can't hold Wrapsol responsible as the differences in thickness on the phone can't be changed)

BUT - AFTER REALIZING THAT NO MATTER WHAT I WOULDN'T BE KEEPING THE CURRENT SET I DECIDED TO TRY SOMETHING INTERESTING. I HAD SOME LEFT OVER WRAPSOL SPRAY FROM MY RETINA MACBOOK PRO. I REMOVED THE BACK AND USED THE WET INSTALL METHOD...ABSOLUTELY NO STRIATIONS OR LINES ACROSS THE ALUMINUM SECTION! STILL GET THE WHITE LINES ON THE RAISED AREAS OF THE PHONE (APPLE LOGO, GLASS TRANSITIONS, RAISED IPHONE LETTERING) BUT IT LOOKS 100X BETTER THAN THE DRY METHOD.

I've included some before pics to show the lines as good as I can get a picture of them and then after. Hope that helps the rest of you. I'll let you know what Wrapsol says as I would assume their count of 50 affected people is way off.

Attached Files:

14. dnest macrumors regular

dnest

What is the Wrapsol spray? Is it just water? I ordered a Wrapsol but it doesn't come with spray. Could I use something else?

15. Vovom macrumors newbie

Just got mine today - cut wrong!

I have always had great luck with Wrapsol products, but this is frustrating. I finally received my order from Amazon. iPhone 5 protectors for both my wife and I. I never made it past the front cover for either phone. The camera and ear speaker hole is incorrectly offset on the left of the front screen. What's troubling is the visual on the Wrapsol website shows the same offset cutout for the camera/ear speaker. Am I missing something? Isn't the camera/ear speaker directly centered with the home button on the front screen? It doesn't look like anyone is in charge of QC on this product. In addition to the offset cutout, the one front protector that I peeled the backing off of had garbage (imperfections) in many different areas. I have never seen this on other Wrapsol products.

16. Philz thread starter macrumors member

Not just you, they sent me two replacements for my non-proper cut one and both were the exact same. Haven't emailed them back, it's a bit... disheartening to say the least. They were super nice, even next dayed me them with goodies...! Does yours also have weird lines around the home button? I also found the height was off by 1-2 mm but enough that it's annoying...

17. imazu macrumors regular

I also have Wrapsol on all my Apple products and my Wrapsol for iPhone 5 has a tracking # but haven't really shipped. I don't know if I still want to wait and try my luck or just cancel it and wait until they have the correct cut. My Spigen has traking # but haven't shipped yet but I hope it will work well.

18. E4tmonkieshyt macrumors newbie

I ordered 2 front protectors and one front and back, I knew something was off when 2 of the front protectors were identical and the 3rd having the front cutout more to the right. Just contacted Wrapsol.

19. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I know I'm late to the party here, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Wrapsol. Their product can be challenging to apply sometimes, but their Customer Service is amazing - just ask for a replacement and you'll get it in days.

20. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I'll be receiving mine for iPhone 5 today. I'm hopeful that the fitting issues have been addressed.

21. imazu macrumors regular

Please update.. For some reason my shipping date of 9/25 never moved forward. I called them up and can't explain what happened but it will be here tomorrow. But I would like to know how's the cut as well.

22. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I'll let you know :)

23. Ronnoco, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Unfortunately, mine DID come with the dreaded "off-cut" for the front-side camera and earpiece. The back seems to look pretty good, smooth with no bubbles or streaks but like someone here mentioned, it is a bit short on the bottom (a few millimeters) and I'd prefer it wasn't. I was VERY disappointed that the side film didn't have ANY cutouts whatsoever for the buttons.

I called Wrapsol and they directed me to the website to apply for a replacement. I went through the hoops of uploading the receipt and picture of the front-side film and it went fairly easily (albeit time consumingly), but I was not happy about the shipping that would take a week to get to me. I called the Wrapsol CS again and told the agent that I shouldn't have to suffer for Wrapsol's error in wrongly cutting the film and I requested expedited shipping which they agreed with and gave me a code for UPS three day instead of the standard ground (from MA to CA).

I'll be receiving the replacement on Friday but I do not know if it will be the entire package (front, back, sides) or merely the properly cut front-side film.
    I'll let you know.

So far, not that impressed with the overall experience with Wrapsol. I'm hoping that changes after receiving the replacement tomorrow.

24. imazu macrumors regular

I am not happy as well... got mine and it's way off.. If yours will be ok, I'll try but if not I'll ask for refund.

25. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I should have mine tomorrow (actually, later today since it's after midnight), so I will let you know. :)