Warranty after unlocked/jailbroken.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gigamaster89, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Gigamaster89 macrumors member

I got a 8gb iPhone 2G off eBay about two months ago and I just realize that I have extended warranty that covers me until March 2010.

My phone is currently jailbroken and unlocked under T-Mobile, but should I ever have any problem, I can just restore and bring it in right?

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yep. If you've got a hardware issue, just do a DFU restore to stock firmware and you're all set.

One note: make sure you've got the right bootloader for when your phone was made. If you're running 3.9 on one of the last runs of the 2G, it'll give your game away... ;)

3. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Actually once you jailbreak it, then your warranty is fried. (technically).
    BUT, and its a big BUT, you bring it in and you dont have a dick genius, that doesnt give a rats ass about his job and digging deep into your iphone then you should be alright. Which is probably 9/10 chance you wont get caught.
    To explain a little more, Apple can monitor what you do on your iphone whenever you connect it to the a wifi or 3g source. It actually sends a log file to apple, and gives them basically a fingerprint of everything you do. Just a heads up.

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You have proof or documentation of this?

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Very little of what you said is true.

Jailbreaking doesn't void your warranty. While your phone is jailbroken, you're not eligible for support or warranty service -- until you restore your phone. Jailbreaking will only void your warranty if you use it to do something that causes damage to the hardware (i.e. flash a bad bootloader, screw with the baseband, etc.)

As for the iPhone sending logs of what you do to Apple: you're full it. It does no such thing. Don't believe me? Grab a packet analyzer, connect your iPhone to your network and watch what it sends.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Warranties on iPhones get fried as soon as you jailbreak it, not to mention unlock it.

Just Restore 100% and use the Apple built in Reset and Delete and Restore again. That will definitely erase all traces. However, if you are paranoid be sure to have the right bootloader (they never check that)

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Kinda. Apple can (and will) refuse support and warranty service until the stock firmware is on there, but jailbreaking doesn't irrevocably remove your ability to receive warranty service. Neither does unlocking, unless you bork the baseband. (Although, like with jailbreaking, they'll refuse service unless it's stock.)

8. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Really? The new FW DL's updates to itself. What does this mean? Direct link to apple server. Look at 23:51:55.

[​IMG]

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well... now I know what the WiFi network was named...

The messages you assumed were indicative of the firmware downloading "updates to itself" are harmless log entries generated when your phone attempts to connect to a network that it's already connected to.

Here's a quick grep of my device's log as of just a minute ago:

Code:
    $ cat Dev*.txt | grep "Already connected to"
    Wed Dec 10 23:49:14 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to MB.
    Wed Dec 10 23:49:31 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to MB.
    Wed Dec 10 23:49:58 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to MB.
    Wed Dec 10 23:50:12 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to MB.
    Wed Dec 10 23:50:42 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to MB.
    Wed Dec 10 23:50:58 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to MB.

Any guesses what my WiFi network's SSID is?

Your screenshot indicates three things:

1) You were connected to a network with the SSID of "Apple".

2) You jump to conclusions.

3) You didn't actually analyze the network traffic before making claims that the iPhone "phones home."

10. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Im basically getting all this information from some genius from another forum. I guess everything this guy says is true, because either he has proved himself in the past, and also by proving many many things. He has a very high reputation of being true to his word. He says hes 100% sure that he is right on this question. Here ill give you the link to the forum.
    I actually hope your right, because i am planning on jailbreaking my phone, if this isnt true.
    Here is the link to the post its in. His name is One1 - HERE

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No, you're right. There's no way they can know if you completely wipe the phone and restore.

He may be 100% sure he's correct, but that doesn't change the fact he's full of crap.

There is no "secret log" of everything you do. I've got similar entries in my device log (the "special program" he was using to display it is the freely-available iPhone Configuration Utility, BTW) -- the only difference is that instead of saying "WiFi: Already connected to Apple.", they say "WiFi: Already connected to MB.".

If you do a full restore of the firmware, there's no way that they can determine that you jailbroke your phone _unless_ (and this is the only scenario in which they can tell) you caused (semi-)permanent damage to the phone in the process (such as wiping your bootloader while flashing a custom firmware.)

(Addendum: If you opened up the phone, connected JTAG cables, and dumped every single bit of RAM, Flash, etc. you might be able to find other evidence of jailbreaking... but that's _way_ beyond the scope of warranty service...)

12. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

You both are wrong. I just ran a packet analyzer and this is where my iPhone is connecting to! It proves that Apple is really owned by Bill!!!! :p

Code:
    $ cat Dev*.txt | grep "Already connected to"
    Wed Dec 10 23:49:14 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to Microsoft.
    Wed Dec 10 23:49:31 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to Microsoft.
    Wed Dec 10 23:49:58 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to Microsoft.
    Wed Dec 10 23:50:12 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to Microsoft.
    Wed Dec 10 23:50:42 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to Microsoft.
    Wed Dec 10 23:50:58 unknown configd[1001] <Notice>: WiFi: Already connected to Microsoft.

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

:D Last time I figured up Wireshark I noticed that every TCP packet sent by the iPhone has the evil bit set! That proves it!!

14. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The historical fact that, at some point in the past, you performed an unauthorized modification to your iPhone, is a totally different thing than anybody actually being able to prove that you've performed such an unauthorized modification.

The instant you jailbroke the iPhone, you violated Apple's terms by performing an unauthorized modification which means, ipso facto, that your warranty is void.

However, in any practical scenario, Apple has to be able to prove that the unauthorized modification has taken place in order to justify their refusal of warranty service. If you are able to completely remove any evidence that the violation ever took place, then Apple won't have any indication to suspect that that the warranty might be voided, so they will have no reason to refuse service.

15. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

IANAL, but modification of the software (jailbreaking) does not permanently void the warranty any more than installing an app from the App Store does. Modification of the firmware (i.e. baseband) is another matter.

The iPhone AppleCare terms and conditions (available here) do not specify that the plan is voided in the event that you modify the software. They do specify that Apple is not responsible for any damage caused by unauthorized modification, but they do not specify that Apple reserves the right to refuse service just because the software has, at some point, been modified.

Again, IANAL, but the actual terms that Apple publishes don't support the "conventional wisdom" that jailbreaking voids your warranty.

16. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

i have an officially unlocked iPhone. The fella started to punk me by being exceedingly reluctant to fire up whenever I powered it on, wasnt sure if the Power button was faulty. It was jailbroken at that time.

Restored the iPhone to stock settings, ran the automatic update to 2.2, brought it in. The apple consultant flashed a mini torch light into the base and the ear phone socket to check that the water damage indicator is negative and promptly exchanged a new iPhone. She did not even bother to check the current software.

So, jailbreak or no jailbreak, it seems the 1st cut is water damage indicator. I highly doubt they'll connect the iphone to retrieve its boot records. Thats tatamount to forensic computer science already.

17. lonegungirl macrumors newbie

I was told once, that when you take your iphone in for service, they'll first ask you for an ATT number, and if you don't have one (unlocked,) then they'll refuse service. Is there any way around that? Or do they not all ask?

18. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Just to clarify, if the JB has not messed with the hardware, you could take it back? But if it's messed with the software, and you only get a white screen (or unable to restore) for example, are you screwed? I'm not quite sure where I'd stand on this matter. :eek:

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Use a friend's number if he is in on AT&T legit.

20. The Governor macrumors regular

Jailbreaking doesn't mess with the hardware.

If your iphone is jailbroken and for some reason you can't do a restore i.e. it's stuck on the "white" screen you speak of or on the startup screen, I've never heard/seen a "bricked" iphone, then Yes you would be screwed.

But if your able to do a restore you will be fine

21. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Actually, if you were stuck at a white screen or the Apple Logo boot screen, you would have no problem getting serviced. But, if you have your own boot logo, like the PwnApple or whatever you chose, and it get stuck- then you're screwed.

22. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

So, the baseband chip isn't hardware?

23. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It is. Jailbreaking doesn't mess with it though. Keep in mind, jailbreaking != unlocking. Besides, it's debatable as to whether unlocking counts as hardware modification -- technically it's just firmware modification, and firmware is software...

24. The Governor macrumors regular

Well put.

25. The Governor macrumors regular

I agree with you, but like I said I have never heard of anyone that got permanently stuck on the pineapple/apple/white boot logo screen and wasn't able to get off of it.

And even if their iphone was JB and had the original apple boot logo on it, sure they would get serviced....but at what cost? As soon as apple fixed the phone, they would surely see that is JB. Now you could argue that you already got serviced so what, but they could possible charge you for the work done on a phone that has voided the warranty, or at the very least they may make a note of it?