Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I'm on the verge of becoming very anti-Apple.

I bought this new 17" MacBook Pro on January 5th from a vendor on eBay. It was a brand new unit in a sealed box. The listing said they were an authorized Apple vendor.

Lo and behold, this thing is having issues. The local Apple Store plugged in my s/n and says they show purchase date of September 2009 (when the vendor got it, apparently) and that I needed to call AppleCare. I showed the local AppleStore a copy of my eBay receipt and they said that should be fine.

So I called AppleCare and told them this, and the woman got VERY snooty and bitchy said they won't accept any eBay receipt.

I'm trying to get the vendor to send me a non-eBay receipt, but this vendor has been bought out sometime after I made the purchase, and says many records are missing. So I may be stuck with a $2000+ paperweight.

Any suggestions as to what to do? I was on the verge of getting an 11.6" MBA, but after the way the woman on the AppleCare line treated me, I'm not sure I ever want another Apple product.

Thanks.

Rob

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sounds like your issue/problem is with the eBay vendor (buyer beware)

Call back and speak to another Apple representative
People are human, and you never know what she was dealing with in her life

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
I can also sell crap and put in my listing that I'm an authorized re-seller...doesn't make me one.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I can also sell crap and put in my listing that I'm an authorized re-seller...doesn't make me one.

True, I have never bought things on Ebay just for reasons like this. It is too hard to trust other people and warranties can be affected to easy. Ok, well I have bought a few things on ebay but never electronics.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
It's not a killer problem, but it's annoying. For some reason, when I use my USB broadband modem at WORK, the left side of the computer and the modem eventually get SUPER HOT and the modem stops working. At home, when I'm connected to an external antenna, it has no problem.

If I switch into High-Perf graphics mode, every 5th or 6th time I come out of standby, the machine crashes. If I leave it in Low-Perf mode, never a problem (so what's what I do, since I'm not a gamer).

And you may have seen my threads about Magic Mouse problems. The thing is insane -- it will do scrolling actions when you move the mouse. It makes Google Maps impossible to use for example. I've had two of these mice and both did it... the Genius guys think it's the bluetooth board coupled with the overheating mainboard.

So they want to replace both of those items, totalling over $1000 in parts cost.

I've addressed the overheating issue at work with a series of fans and other heat-transferring items, and using the USB modem on an extension cable with a moist towelette wrapped around it. It actually works pretty well.

If they would let me buy an AppleCare plan, I would go that route to get this thing fixed. But if they're going to leave me hanging, I will off this thing for whatever I can get, sell off the iPad, and go back to a PC-based laptop and run Linux fulltime.

Rob

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Still I don't get why you can't just take it to the Apple Store again and then show them the receipt you said they would take and let them repair it. Only problem is that it may be out of warranty. I have an June 2009 MacBook Pro and I know it is out of warranty so yours may be also.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
The system won't let them mark the work as warranty because it shows as expired right now. It has to be updated by AppleCare before they can.

How would I escalate it? Like, what do I say to them when I call?

Rob

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
The system won't let them mark the work as warranty because it shows as expired right now. It has to be updated by AppleCare before they can.

How would I escalate it? Like, what do I say to them when I call?

Rob
You first go over your story with the representative who takes the call. If you get the same runaround, you calmly but firmly ask to speak to the representative's superior and go over the details once more. Press the issue, but don't become irate. Mention how this is your first Apple purchase and how it has left you with a poor and potentially lasting impression of their customer service. Also mention your upcoming MacBook Air purchase and how it hinges on this issue being resolved to your satisfaction. They may also be more willing to assist you if you are willing to buy AppleCare. Good luck.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Authorized Apple Reseller on eBay? Is there even such a thing? You can see why AppleCare wouldn't accept an eBay receipt as proof of purchase (this is the same thing as buying AppleCare on eBay and then running into eligibility issues, AppleCare won't accept it because eBay isn't an AAR).

You can call AppleCare back and see if you get better luck OR you can go back to the Apple store and speak to the manager. They don't need iLog to say your computer is eligible, they can by pass that and set up a repair as "customer satisfaction".

But right now, since it doesn't seem like you purchased your MacBook Pro from a legit authorized Apple reseller, you just bought your MacBook Pro from another person which happens to be outside of the one-year limited warranty.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

(Also, I don't see how you can blame Apple for leaving a bad taste in your mouth, you didn't purchase your computer from one of Apple's distribution channels so they can't guarantee you anything. I'm not attacking the OP but he/she needs to take some responsibility for the current situation.)

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Unfortunately you may be screwed on this one. Apple really doesn't see eBay or anyone on it as an authorized vendor, not as legitimate as e-tailers like Amazon or B & H. Unless your seller has a legitimate business and is Authorized to sell Apple products, the purchase date from ebay is meaningless.

I hope you get satisfactory resolution, but risk is one of the reasons we pay less on ebay in the first place. Being anti-apple is commendable ( I guess), but it seems like you want Apple to treat customers who go through legitimate channels the same as ebay and craigslist sellers, who don't have to go through the same standards. eBay themselves is not an authorized reseller. If this guy is really legit, he should be able to give you a receipt on some official letterhead, to which you can ship to Apple.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
I agree with the post above. You can't claim Apple. They definitely were not an authorised reseller, that's why this is causing trouble. You may be out of luck here. With no one to blaim but the seller.

preppy

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
ColoRADo
Does the old ebay seller have a brick and mortar store where they were authorized resellers there? If that's the case, maybe you can get their name before they were bought out and then present that information to Apple...not sure the success rate, but worth a shot.

Another thing you could try is pull up when you first registered the MBP. If it was you who first registered it when you bought it in January, then you could argue that it is not your fault that you bought a computer that sat on the shelf for a few months. If it was registered back in Sept, then you will have a more difficult time arguing your case...

Honestly, me thinks Apple is just going to say that it is your fault for not checking the status of when your 1 year warranty was supposed to end regardless of if you bought the MBP from an authorized retailer or not.

Good luck though.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
That's a good idea on the first registration bit. I was the first to register it, since it was brand new in the box.

But, after the conversation I just had with AppleCare, that isn't likely going to matter. Apple is much more concerned that it was sold via eBay than anything else. They seem to have it in for eBay, or the fact that somebody just might have gotten a little bit of a discount on one of their high-and-mighty products.

Apple can go to hell, and I ended up telling them just that on the phone. They refused to accept any receipt, and were unwilling to sell an AppleCare warranty. Heck, Steve Jobs' own attitude in how he responds to people when he emails them tells me that it's their way or the highway. They have more than enough people that will love them no matter what, that they probably don't care if they piss off a few people along the way.

So with that, I'm officially done with Apple. My iPad will be on eBay before the weekend is over, and I will figure out what to do with this POS MBP.

Back to Linux for me.

Rob

PS: What I'm also doing is sending a detailed copy of the story to all the major blogs... Engadget, TUAW, etc... see if I can't get some negative press going.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
with a moist towelette wrapped around it.

WOW, 'a moist towelette'..that is amazing :eek:

OP, I'm very sorry to hear about your problems.

I would contact the BBB and file with them. I have had great luck with them and they will contact Apple and address the issue with them as well. I don't know how far it will go but its a place to start.

-P

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
But, after the conversation I just had with AppleCare, that isn't likely going to matter. Apple is much more concerned that it was sold via eBay than anything else. They seem to have it in for eBay, or the fact that somebody just might have gotten a little bit of a discount on one of their high-and-mighty products.

It has nothing to do with having "it in for eBay". Forget the idea of having your MacBook Pro purchased from an authorized Apple reseller because you didn't, there's no such thing on eBay. The situation is you purchased the computer from another person, period. You purchased the computer "as is" and unfortunately, it's out of warranty.

You're angry, I would be too and I don't mean to be rude but you have no one to blame but yourself for not doing enough research before purchasing such an expensive item on eBay.

PS: What I'm also doing is sending a detailed copy of the story to all the major blogs... Engadget, TUAW, etc... see if I can't get some negative press going.

If you feel you need to do that, go ahead but it's not something that Apple should be blamed for. Again, you made the purchase without any research on eBay and like many such as yourself, got burned for it.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
WOW, 'a moist towelette'..that is amazing :eek:

OP, I'm very sorry to hear about your problems.

I would contact the BBB and file with them. I have had great luck with them and they will contact Apple and address the issue with them as well. I don't know how far it will go but its a place to start.

-P

It will go no where.It's like buying a watch off a street vendor and then trying to get it fixed by the company that supposedly made it. They were not an authorised dealer. While it sucks, that's what the risk of buying it on eBay, with a discount is...

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I'm hardly an Apple fangirl, but I can't see how this one is anyone's fault but your own.

You bought a MBP on January 5, 2010. You had until September, 2010 to determine the warranty status and then purchase Apple Care. Because you didn't bother to check or follow-up on your own computer, simply assuming that your purchase date on eBay was the warranty date, you missed extending your warranty. You wanted to reap the benefits of saving money by buying it on eBay, you should have been diligent about the stuff that true authorized resellers can provide you - a real receipt, a reminder about Apple Care, etc. etc.

That's not Apple's fault whatsoever, it's yours. They're notoriously rigid about Apple Care end dates, which they're allowed to be, since they state the terms pretty expressly.

It sucks, but I don't see how you can blame Apple. And the whole posting to blogs/generating negative press is a d0uchey move. Not that Apple will end up with a single scratch because of it. You screwed up, own up to it.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
As a FIRST-TIME purchaser of an Apple Product, I was completely UNAWARE that I would need to "check" to see what my warranty status was. Do you not get that? I bought this thing because of Apple's reputation for quality AND good customer service. I have NEVER had to check on warranty status on any computer purchase in the past. EVER. This was a brand new unit, in a sealed box, never even turned on before I got it. I had absolutely no reason not to think everything was fine.

I had originally not planned to get an extended warranty. But then when this problem crept up, and I thought wow, I'm getting close to my warranty being up, I should do something about it... well it was two months too late.

Had I had ANY inkling that the warranty would have been less than one year from my date of purchase, you can be damn sure I would have done something about it.

I spoke with the editor of TUAW, and his opinion is that it shouldn't matter where I got it, as long as I have a receipt. He was insistent, and even suggested I write to Steve Jobs. So what the hell, I did. We'll see if it gets a worthwhile response. What I fully expect, if I get a response at all, will be one word: "Bummer." That's when I will know for sure that I want nothing to do with Apple.

BUT on the other hand, it if turns out to be helpful, then maybe they won't lose a customer.

Your response is exactly the impression I get from Apple too -- I got a "discount" so I get what I deserve. Fine, blame me for it. Whatever. I'll probably be done with this piece of crap soon anyway. I just ordered an 11.6" Alienware laptop last night instead of the 11.6" MacBook Air. It'll make a very nice Linux powerhouse... Core i7, it'll take up to 8 gig of RAM, has an even higher-end NVidia card than the latest MBP's, and a 7+ hour battery, for about a grand.

Rob

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
As a FIRST-TIME purchaser of an Apple Product, I was completely UNAWARE that I would need to "check" to see what my warranty status was. Do you not get that? I bought this thing because of Apple's reputation for quality AND good customer service. I have NEVER had to check on warranty status on any computer purchase in the past. EVER. This was a brand new unit, in a sealed box, never even turned on before I got it. I had absolutely no reason not to think everything was fine.

I had originally not planned to get an extended warranty. But then when this problem crept up, and I thought wow, I'm getting close to my warranty being up, I should do something about it... well it was two months too late.

Had I had ANY inkling that the warranty would have been less than one year from my date of purchase, you can be damn sure I would have done something about it.

I spoke with the editor of TUAW, and his opinion is that it shouldn't matter where I got it, as long as I have a receipt. He was insistent, and even suggested I write to Steve Jobs. So what the hell, I did. We'll see if it gets a worthwhile response. What I fully expect, if I get a response at all, will be one word: "Bummer." That's when I will know for sure that I want nothing to do with Apple.

BUT on the other hand, it if turns out to be helpful, then maybe they won't lose a customer.

Your response is exactly the impression I get from Apple too -- I got a "discount" so I get what I deserve. Fine, blame me for it. Whatever. I'll probably be done with this piece of crap soon anyway. I just ordered an 11.6" Alienware laptop last night instead of the 11.6" MacBook Air. It'll make a very nice Linux powerhouse... Core i7, it'll take up to 8 gig of RAM, has an even higher-end NVidia card than the latest MBP's, and a 7+ hour battery, for about a grand.

Rob

As so many others have pointed out, your issue here is with the eBay seller, not Apple. Anything you EVER buy on eBay needs to be checked out very carefully from a warranty perspective for exactly this reason. You have no idea when the seller bought it. A company shouldn't be responsible for the actions of Joe Blow the eBay seller who is not an authorized reseller of their product in the first place.

Ok, I get it. Youve never bought an Apple computer before, but it's still your responsibility to know the warranty status of your machine. Your attempt at generating bad PR for Apple because you screwed up is particularly immature.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
As so many others have pointed out, your issue here is with the eBay seller, not Apple. Anything you EVER buy on eBay needs to be checked out very carefully from a warranty perspective for exactly this reason. You have no idea when the seller bought it. A company shouldn't be responsible for the actions of Joe Blow the eBay seller who is not an authorized reseller of their product in the first place.

Ok, I get it. Youve never bought an Apple computer before, but it's still your responsibility to know the warranty status of your machine. Your attempt at generating bad PR for Apple because you screwed up is particularly immature.

I cosign this statement.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I hope you read up on alienware's warranty policies before you bought that notebook. :p

People these days expect 5+ service from Apple for their own mistakes. It's getting a bit ridiculous IMHO.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I spoke with the editor of TUAW, and his opinion is that it shouldn't matter where I got it, as long as I have a receipt.

In many ways, that is so incorrect. This whole situation has EVERYTHING to do with where you got it from. You didn't buy it from Apple (retail or reseller) so your receipt you got from the eBay seller is nothing more than proof between you and him and nothing with Apple. I can sell a brand new MacBook Pro that I got from last year on eBay, does that mean the limited warranty starts when the person I sold it to purchased it? No. It starts when I purchased it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.