Warranty on 2011 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nochnia, Jun 29, 2011.

1. nochnia macrumors member

I asked at about 4 different apple retail stores about losing the warranty...
    Everyone told me if I open the glass/screen and put the logicboard away my warranty is gone. But the question is where have the marked something to check if i've opened the machine?

Does anyone know for sure that there is something that will reveal that I've been in the iMac?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

There's not anything, but unless you have the proper tools, you'll be introducing dust between the glass and the LCD without a proper way to clean it. Opening your machine does not void your warranty. However, breaking a part voids the warranty on that part, as warranty status is determined at the part level.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Read the warranty, it's pretty clear and not very difficult to follow. All your answers will be there.

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

buying a 2011 imac to open and mod is not the best idea.

with t-bolt adding on a faster ssd is a piece of cake. mounting it out of site is also easy. sonnettech will have a raid0 t-bolt that will smoke any internal ssd

http://www.sonnettech.com/news/nab2011/

5. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot mate.
    That changes everything for me ;)

6. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

After reading the warranty conditions from apple I'm pretty sure nothing happens if you don't damage the parts inside :)

warranty conditions

It's still risky but I'm going the road :)

7. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Several Authorized Apple Service centers are willing to do some mods for you, such as DSS, HD installations. They charge about $130 in the Los Angeles area. Advantage, most have clean rooms that avoid dust getting trapped and you do not risk loosing the warranty. On a high end loaded 27" I think it is worth paying the $130 even if I can do it myself (assuming it is a one time).

8. nochnia thread starter macrumors member

I would definitely pay $130 but within austria it's about 250-300€... that's too much for me.

9. mojobebop macrumors newbie

-------------
    does adding ram from another source but apple void the warranty?
    (also, the service/advice part)?

10. Farthen macrumors member

RAM is user-servicable as the iMac manual also states in chapter 3 (page 35): http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/imac_mid2011_ug.pdf.
    All other parts are not user-servicable (page 44):

11. IeU macrumors member

That means that if i bring my iMac to an "Apple Authorized Service Provider" and let them add the ssd, i wont lose my AppleCare?

12. Detrius macrumors 68000

This wouldn't solve the problem anyway, since there's dust inside the iMac that would be loosened by opening the thing. No, Apple offers a static roller that gets all the dust off the screen and off the glass. All you really need is to turn off fans in a room in order to help reduce the likelihood of additional dust showing up after the dust being rolled off the screen.

13. leman macrumors 604

...which will probably cost more than the iMac itself.

I like Thunderbolt, its great tech. But unavailability of affordable enclosures makes it totally useless for "normal" customers. I'd pay 100€ for a decent tb-enclosure (a decent e-sata one costs half as much), but there is simply nothing like that on the market...