Warranty question about second hand iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willryan42, Jun 29, 2011.

1. willryan42 macrumors regular

I bought my iPhone 4 off ebay about six months ago, and after registering it under my appleid on apple's "my profiles" or what it's called, I see that it is under warranty until this coming october.

The battery is (at least in my opinion), fairly bad, and either way I would like to get a new one before the warranty is up. I currently have it jailbroken and unlocked to use on T-Mobile and I'm not sure how to go about getting a new one. Obviously I would restore my phone to stock iOS when I bring it in, but will I have any problems getting a new one given my situation? I'm just wondering because I'm not the original owner, and I don't know if they'd give me a hard time because I'm not an AT&T customer.

Anyone know how I should go about doing this?

2. iBryton macrumors regular

Well recently what happened to me was that when they gave me a new phone, they plugged it into a computer that was a typical iMac, but used to activate the phone..

I am on AT&T :)

3. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Make sure they replace the battery or if they will replace it with another iPhone 4 (its likely to be on a higher iOS and locked baseband)

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

I thought battery replacement was always just a refurbished phone from Apple?

5. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

I unlock with a Gevey so baseband updates wouldn't be a huge problem. I'm just wondering what happens when I bring in a freshly restored iphone and they see I'm not an AT&T customer...

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My understanding is that you need an AT&T SIM to receive service.

7. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Gahhh really? I've never heard that but I wouldn't be surprised if that was true...

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If its just the battery, then get a new one since they are dirt cheap and easy to swap.

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have definitely received service from Apple for a phone without a sim. The sim was being used in another phone (by somebody not at the store) at the time.
    Though I should add you will need an AT&T sim to activate the new phone.