Was anyone else unhappy with full screen apps at first...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by wngraham, Aug 27, 2011.

1. wngraham macrumors regular

but now can't imagine not using them?

When I first switched to Mac 6 years ago getting out of the Windows way of all apps being full screen was one of the hardest parts to get used to. Eventually I got accustomed to the OSX way of multiple windows on the desktop.

When I first installed Lion I HATED the new full screen option, especially in iTunes, iCal, etc. It felt so unnatural and not Mac like at all.

After a month of forcing myself to use it however, it's like second nature. The gestures to swipe between apps, Mission Control, it's amazing for productivity.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Since using Lion, I just can't go back. I thought all other versions of OS X were super-advanced, but Lion make Snow Leopard look like Windows.

3. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I didn't "get" the point of full screen apps at first. I decided to try them when I got Lion. I hated them. I decided to revisit them when I actually got a Macbook that supported multi-touch gestures. I'm in love now.

4. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

I just dont't get the point of full screen apps. Why do i need safari in full scredn on my hr mbp or 27" screen?

It's big enough as it is thank you very much. It's descended from iOS where you have one full screen app on-screen at all times, whereas i want multiple apps running and visible at all times.

When i want a full screen safari i just grab my iPad2...

5. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

For me it was the opposite. At first I used every possible app in Full Screen. Then I realized that I can't easily drag and drop stuff from one window to another, that I can't "Show Desktop", that "child windows" become forever lost behind the full screen window. So I stopped using Full Screen apps, and I'm happy.

I do like Full Screen, but it has many implications that I don't like.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Dual monitors here. Lion is basically broken for dual monitors and full screen apps. :(

I used to use Aperture's full screen mode under Snow Leopard all the time, but have stopped using it because of the animation lag under Lion. Full screen video with Quicktime is now broken because it won't allow using the second monitor for anything else.

7. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I can see it being a pain with some apps. I use it for exactly three things- Mail, iCal, and iTunes. iCal and Mail just mainly so I can have them open all the time without cluttering my current desktop. I know I could put them in a different space, but why not just let 'em run full screen? iTunes I use it because I have a huge library and appreciate the extra space to see it. I like Safari to run on 3/4s of my main desktop and throw my Adium buddy list in the remain quarter. Works for me.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I have that exact same setup. My home desktop is where most things happen, but then I have three full screen apps running. Mail, then iTunes, then iCal.

9. PirateD macrumors newbie

With gestures, I find it a whole lot easier to swap between full screen apps, than :apple:tabbing through non-full screen apps.

10. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

One more thing I don't like about Full Screen: if you want to have a full screen app open all the time, but sometimes you need to close it (need more RAM, etc…) then it's a pain to have to reopen it, realize that it doesn't open in full screen, and that it doesn't open in a pre-defined desktop either (since you can't assign full screen apps to a desktop). I'd like it if I opened iTunes, it would instantly create a desktop in a pre-defined place (say, before the first one) and open there, in full screen. You can do just that with iTunes not in full screen, but then the desktop doesn't delete itself when you quit the app, which leaves a useless desktop open.

11. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

Fullscreen apps really make the widescreen of the macbook air seem even better... i wish we could have a full screen finder though

12. ceej macrumors member

I forget they're there, honestly. Neutral. I watch movies in full screen, of course, but I'm content with default size applications.

13. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Great minds think alike!

14. ulfses macrumors newbie

The fullscreen function may have made me switch from windows to osx. The four finger swipe btw desktops has made the laptop experience so much better, especially on my MBA. oh joy.
    It should be wider implemented, like some sort of standard across all applications.

15. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Why in bloody hell does Apple think that full-screen apps is a good thing on a 27" screen?

16. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've thought all along that the new combo of Lion GUI features (Mission Control, full screen, LaunchPad) are "optimized" for small displays. So owners of 11" Airs rejoice and 27" iMacs feel rejected.

Full screen on a 27" display is great for Aperture (although was better in Snow Leopard), iMovie, and other programs that can make good use of the display.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Full screen apps ain't so new when it comes to 'pro-app(s)', those options has always been there, knowing how to enable the feature is something else, with the release of Lion and it's little quirk, switching to full screen has made some application easier to switch but it's still no default standard.