Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I bought an ipad for work, but given how frustrating the roadblocks are that apple in their mentally sick minds' need to control its user base like drones, would probably never have even considered buying it for personal use. The lack of flash and the unbelievably irritating methods of transferring files using that absolute dog of an application, itunes, are just too much. If I own a song or movie, and I want to transfer to another ipad or computer i own, then I should not have to deal with the crap apple is telling me how/when/why I can and cannot transfer these files back and forth. Why a company thinks that limiting users and frustrating them is going to make good business sense for the long term is astounding to me. My next device will probably NOT be an apple purchase. /rant

Now then, is there a rational means of using flash on the ipad under iOS 6?

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I bought an ipad for work, but given how frustrating the roadblocks are that apple in their mentally sick minds' need to control its user base like drones, would probably never have even considered buying it for personal use. The lack of flash and the unbelievably irritating methods of transferring files using that absolute dog of an application, itunes, are just too much. If I own a song or movie, and I want to transfer to another ipad or computer i own, then I should not have to deal with the crap apple is telling me how/when/why I can and cannot transfer these files back and forth. Why a company thinks that limiting users and frustrating them is going to make good business sense for the long term is astounding to me. My next device will probably NOT be an apple purchase. /rant

Flash sucks and it can kill a battery in no time. Too many idiots dont know how to program flash and that is why it hogs up resources.

HTML 5 is the future. As for owning a song just import it to itunes, its pretty simple. What kind of songs are you trying to trasnfer anyways? Stolen ones?

Same goes for movies.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Flash is not in any version of iOS. Adobe has stopped development on all versions of mobile Flash.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Adobe is dropping flash support for mobile. That's why its not available for Android without work arounds anymore.

Actually everything you mentioned you can do with iOS.

There are somethings you can't but those aren't any of them....lol

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

What flash things are you viewing that does not have a native app or an HTML 5 alternative? Pretty much everyone out there is doing this since no mobile devices are going to have flash for much longer. So I'm not sure what you plan on switching TO, but your choices are shrinking very quickly.

PaulTokyo

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2012

Puffin Web Browser from the app store

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Flash sucks and it can kill a battery in no time. Too many idiots dont know how to program flash and that is why it hogs up resources.

HTML 5 is the future. As for owning a song just import it to itunes, its pretty simple. What kind of songs are you trying to trasnfer anyways? Stolen ones? Same goes for movies.

Should I list the uses for flash? How many websites use it that are huge? ESPN, Disney, etc.?

If HTML is the future, fine, then what are people supposed to be using until that time arrives?

Look, I've had an apple product in my home since 1980, but the ridiculous BS control freak nature of the company over the past few years has gotten to be more than even I - an owner of currently some 15 ipods, ipads, and mac computers can accept.

And I do not appreciate being accused of stealing content.... :mad:

Why can't you just transfer the movie/song from one ipad to another? Who is apple to act as the world police and tell me what to do with my material?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Mobile Flash is Dead ....

even Adobe admitted it by discontinuing any support for Android and pulling the installer .... so not even the 'free' and 'open' Android supports it anymore - no other 'open' mobile system supports it. No support for windows phone .... it just sucks for mobile use. Steve Jobs was right.

... but I guess from the way your post is written you don't really care - you just wanted to bash Apple (but unfortunately you didn't know that there is no longer any mobile flash)

It sure sounds like you would be much happier with an Android tablet of some sort.

nope - that still wouldn't give him flash .... what he needs is a laptop.

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away

You don't have to use iTunes to transfer files. Good try through.

328xi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
If you need to visit flash sites on your iPad download the Skyfire browser. It has a radio button that will run most flash sites. The browser works pretty well for every day use as well.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
If you need to visit flash sites on your iPad download the Skyfire browser. It has a radio button that will run most flash sites. The browser works pretty well for every day use as well.

I might be wrong - but isn't the Skyfire browser just for converting flash video into iOS friendly video ... don't think it has the full flash support.

Allegrotechie

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011

Flash is not on iOS. It has also been taken off all Android and Windows Phone devices too. Flash Mobile no longer exists.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

Why can't you just transfer the movie/song from one ipad to another? Who is apple to act as the world police and tell me what to do with my material?

Apple has to abide with legal agreements made with content people; it's not necessarily Apple's fault you can't do everything you want.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Should I list the uses for flash? How many websites use it that are huge? ESPN, Disney, etc.?

If HTML is the future, fine, then what are people supposed to be using until that time arrives?

Look, I've had an apple product in my home since 1980, but the ridiculous BS control freak nature of the company over the past few years has gotten to be more than even I - an owner of currently some 15 ipods, ipads, and mac computers can accept.

Pretty much all of those websites that use flash have apps to use in the app store. As for iTunes, it's not the best but its much better with Wireless sync. I only use iTunes to put some movies on my iPad for a long ride. Other then that, the iTunes Store app supplies me all of my media along with storing it on my Mac and using home sharing. This is for my personal use of course, you may need different things to suit your needs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why are you asking a question to which you already know the answer? Just to give you an excuse to rant?

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I really don't follow how iTunes not transferring purchases is a problem.

I buy something on my phone and its automatically on all my other devices, I cant remember the last time i used iTunes for transfers. I use dropbox or iCloud for files, so that eliminates the need for iTunes file sharing.

I do sympathize if you are having an issue, but I just cant replicate it (and this is not factoring in my iTunes match subscription)

As for flash, I feel like the other posters have already covered all the reasons why its not there. I am on ESPN on my phone now and its playing fine.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I'm guessing that this isn't even a question. Last time someone asked this on the Apple Support Communities thing, it turned into a huge flame war.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I don't miss Flash (and it's super-cookie privacy-destroying LSO's), but Skyfire does work for Flash videos. Mind you, I hardly use it anymore because there just hasn't been the need. I can't think of any site I've visited in the last 6 months that requires Flash.

Hudzilla

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
England
I miss flash too, all those great embedded ads hogging my processor and crashing my browser... Ah, the good days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.