Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Hang in there man. Ignore the haters. I know how badly you want one but once you get it you'll appreciate it more. :)

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
I agree. I actually muttered, "Thank God" under my breath when I read that. :D

I am not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just simply observing and commenting. If someone has to wait until payday or for their eBay items to sell before they can buy an expensive toy, it's probably not a good idea. Perhaps, if more people would take responsibility for their finances, we wouldn't have as many economic problems.

If I'm wrong about the OP's (or anyone's) financial situation, then I apologize.

Thats a silly thing to say. I work everyday and get paid well. But I also have a budget and my "Toys" dont get financed within my budget. When there is something I want I may have to wait a few checks putting away a $100 or so each time before i get it. Or, if I sell something on eBay, it is very plausible to have to wait for that stuff to clear before i get that.

My opinion is that this behavior is exactly the type of financial responsiblity that you speak of in your judgmental post above. Waiting until I can afford something is the exact type of thing that should be applauded.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I have no credit at all, it's not a wake up call so take a chill pill. If anything this will build my credit.

How should the security deposit a wakeup call? You do know that there was a time when credit was less important and people paid for everything in cash right?

I guess you would think my grandfather who worked for the Post office longer than most people on this board have been alive and paid for everything in cash and had no credit was a problem too? :rolleyes:

Funny because he brought his house outright no mortgage and paid for his car that way too and this was pretty recently too. I bet most people in this thread can't say they did that. And yet you guys are judging and talking smack about someone.

Not having to place a deposit but it being a hinderance should be a wake up call... in other words it's giving him a second chance to not blow his last dime on a new iPhone.

littleluna

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Who are you to judge? You don't even know my situation. I've got quite a bit pending in Paypal from selling stuff on eBay, but since the buyers haven't left feedback I won't have access to withdraw it for awhile. But you live in WV so maybe It's fair I judge that?

FYI, you can call Paypal and tell them to release the hold for you. You just need proof that the package was delivered, that's all. If you have the tracking number you need to input it on your PP account.

Just look at your recent activity and you should see the "Print shipping label" and the arrow on the right of it. You can put the tracking number on there. Paypal will look into that to see proof that the item was delivered. Then they'll release the hold for you in less than 5 minutes. :)

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay too, but my buyers usually take a while to leave feedback. So I'll just call PP and ask them to release the hold instead. It's super quick and I won't need to wait. I hate waiting for buyers to leave feedback, when they sometimes never leave it at all.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
FYI, you can call Paypal and tell them to release the hold for you. You just need proof that the package was delivered, that's all. If you have the tracking number you need to input it on your PP account.

Just look at your recent activity and you should see the "Print shipping label" and the arrow on the right of it. You can put the tracking number on there. Paypal will look into that to see proof that the item was delivered. Then they'll release the hold for you in less than 5 minutes. :)

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay too, but my buyers usually take a while to leave feedback. So I'll just call PP and ask them to release the hold instead. It's super quick and I won't need to wait. I hate waiting for buyers to leave feedback, when they sometimes never leave it at all.

Um what? I put the tracking number in the day I shipped it which was about a week ago lol, it's also been delivered for about 4 days now so what's PP's problem?

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Thats a silly thing to say. I work everyday and get paid well. But I also have a budget and my "Toys" dont get financed within my budget. When there is something I want I may have to wait a few checks putting away a $100 or so each time before i get it. Or, if I sell something on eBay, it is very plausible to have to wait for that stuff to clear before i get that.

My opinion is that this behavior is exactly the type of financial responsiblity that you speak of in your judgmental post above. Waiting until I can afford something is the exact type of thing that should be applauded.

I commend you on your financial responsibility. You're not the kind of person I was referencing in my little rant, though. I'm referring to those that can't cover a $100 charge without worry of overdraft (apparently there isn't any money in another account to cover it) and needing to wait for PayPal to release some funds.

I know I'm coming off as an arrogant prick, so I really should just stop. No offense was intended toward the OP. I hope he is able to get his new phone soon.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
And maybe this is why some people say something about it. Could save them from making a mistake.

Personally I think if an extra $120 will overdraft your account then how can you afford a new iPhone? There is a difference in saying I will spend only $230 for an iPhone and not a penny more and saying that a little extra would overdraft you... I think that security deposit should be a wake up call...

Exactly.

No offence to the OP but if you don't have $120 in your bank account, maybe iPhone is not for you. Why not get an iPod Touch 4G when it comes out instead?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Exactly.

No offence to the OP but if you don't have $120 in your bank account, maybe iPhone is not for you. Why not get an iPod Touch 4G when it comes out instead?

Did you just quit reading somewhere along this thread?

Hasn't it already been established that nobody knows what his financial situation is and you telling him (not intending offense, of course [insert ridiculous eye-rolling face here]) how to manage his money isn't going to do jack to sway his decision?

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Did you just quit reading somewhere along this thread?

Hasn't it already been established that nobody knows what his financial situation is and you telling him (not intending offense, of course [insert ridiculous eye-rolling face here]) how to manage his money isn't going to do jack to sway his decision?

Thank you! And if any of you must know, I spent my last check remodeling my grandma's bathroom. She threw her back out and had to have surgery, so I made it handicap accessible..

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Thank you! And if any of you must know, I spent my last check remodeling my grandma's bathroom. She threw her back out and had to have surgery, so I made it handicap accessible..

And your avatar was your victory pose that your grandma shot when you finished, right? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.