Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Placerville
If so, speak up - who stole that one from me? I had it checked out, my credit card number put in - but I decided to sleep on it.

Well, it is gone.

To me, that would of been better than building a hack simply because of the 8 ram slots and dual processor config - future upgrading could be totally possible.

I guess it was not meant to be.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
If so, speak up - who stole that one from me? I had it checked out, my credit card number put in - but I decided to sleep on it.

Well, it is gone.

To me, that would of been better than building a hack simply because of the 8 ram slots and dual processor config - future upgrading could be totally possible.

Refurb store?

Gotta be very quick when ordering from there.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

Well, it is gone.

The 2.93 Quad on the refurb store right now is a lousy "deal". The 3.2 2010 is cheaper (ed/epp pricing) and has more upgrades (other than the RAM) than the 2.93 refurb.

The only decent refurb deals have been the Octos and they're only "deals" due to the insane price of the 2010's.

JohnG

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I think the one we are all talking about was the '09 octo 2.93 which was priced less than the '10 six core 3.33...

+ don't give up much clock speed
+ get the 8 ram slots
+ more total GHz

- crappy video card if it does not have the 4870 in it

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I think the one we are all talking about was the '09 octo 2.93 which was priced less than the '10 six core 3.33...

+ don't give up much clock speed
+ get the 8 ram slots
+ more total GHz

- crappy video card if it does not have the 4870 in it

that is the one it was about 3600 8 core 2.93 6 sticks of 1gb with a lessor video card.

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
looking at the geekbench score for the new hexacore, it's already outpacing the 2.93 Octo . . . it was a good deal though.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
looking at the geekbench score for the new hexacore, it's already outpacing the 2.93 Octo . . . it was a good deal though.

A good deal................. :confused:

One can get a hex with 6 GB Apple sourced RAM for the same price (ed/epp pricing) as that 09 octo. When you factor the better video and better resale value of the hex what you have in your sig looks to be a better "deal". Congrats ~~~~~~~~

JohnG

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
A good deal................. :confused:

One can get a hex with 6 GB Apple sourced RAM for the same price (ed/epp pricing) as that 09 octo. When you factor the better video and better resale value of the hex what you have in your sig looks to be a better "deal". Congrats ~~~~~~~~

JohnG

That's what I meant. The 2.93 octo is a sweet machine, as of 10 days ago it was definitely the fastest (maybe excluding the 3.33 09 quad). But, if it were me, for my uses, I'd go hexacore even with that 2.93 octo on the lineup . . . I was surprised to see it cheap, but I'm sure others would much prefer it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.